Options

WHY is my Popcorn not bloody popping!

Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
Forum Member
i tried putting the corn into the pan with oil, then slowly heating it till it popped.
the pan got extremely hot, the corn looked a little burnt, and nothing happened! this is after half an hour!
i threw it away and put a fresh batch into the pre heated pan on a little higher heat.
its been going for over half an hour, and still nothing! theres a strong smell coming from the pan but no popping.
i have the lid on and i have tried with the lid ajar, nothing.

Comments

• Options
    Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    i tried putting the corn into the pan with oil, then slowly heating it till it popped.
    the pan got extremely hot, the corn looked a little burnt, and nothing happened! this is after half an hour!
    i threw it away and put a fresh batch into the pre heated pan on a little higher heat.
    its been going for over half an hour, and still nothing! theres a strong smell coming from the pan but no popping.
    i have the lid on and i have tried with the lid ajar, nothing.

Why are you doing it in the oven rather than on a stove top?
    Maybe the oil isn't hot enough?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Where did you get the corn from?
    Could be that it's old/stale
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    Why are you doing it in the oven rather than on a stove top?
    Maybe the oil isn't hot enough?

im doing it on the stove. i would not even try it in the oven!:eek:
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Where did you get the corn from?
    Could be that it's old/stale

from waitrose yesterday! sealed packaging, expiry is months away.

just thrown the second batch away as the corn got burnt to a crisp without a sign of a pop :mad:
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    This is the way I used to pop corn before I bought a machine.
  • Options
    Barnes5603Barnes5603 Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone tried Cadbury's chocolate popcorn? It's nice.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you putting just a few corns in first to test the temperature then adding the rest once they pop ? It needs to be a very high heat and only way to test is by putting a few in first.
  • Options
    stringmanstringman Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    This is the way I used to pop corn before I bought a machine.

I was going to post my method but its the same as the link above
  • Options
    Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barnes5603 wrote: »
    Anyone tried Cadbury's chocolate popcorn? It's nice.

That sounds nice. Where can you buy that from?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microwave stuff works for me. The only problem being there is never enough room in the bag, so you are left with a lot of unpopped kernels, which, like pistachios you can't open, always leaves you with a slightly annoyed feeling.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Microwave stuff works for me. The only problem being there is never enough room in the bag, so you are left with a lot of unpopped kernels, which, like pistachios you can't open, always leaves you with a slightly annoyed feeling.
    Adjust your microwave power and timings. It's trial and error until you get the right combination.
  • Options
    Barnes5603Barnes5603 Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    That sounds nice. Where can you buy that from?

I got it in Tesco, half-price. A bag was £1 instead of £1.99. Warning though, when you start you'll eat the whole bag!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Hi, is this the first time you have tried to pop corn? The fist thing I thought of yesterday was that the corn was stale but it can't be that so maybe the tip - given above - of trying just a couple of kernels to check the pan was hot enough will help.

Your post brought back memories of when my boys were young and we used to pop corn and the amount of times we took the lid off before they had really stopped popping and we had to hide from flying missiles. Great fun.

Hope you manage to get your popcorn today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I would do it in the microwave, you just need some paper bags. If the kernels are too dry they will not pop.