The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    I've already come up with the theory that the Dutch spokesman will be next year's entrant for the Netherlands. There must be some reason they put a random singer there. But he's not exactly a big name.

Yes sir. He's cute
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was in their NF the year Joan won. I think I was the only one who liked the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAW-CUDULNQ
  • alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Listening to the new The Common Linnnets album now! I shall report back my findings!

#sendhelptonigelinthelibrary

edit: oooh calm after the storm is different on the album!
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, the ESC has been shown in China for the last two years. Last year, they edited out Finland's lesbian kiss, so I think it was assumed that Conchita's performance would be edited out... but obviously as the winner, what are China going to do? What did they do if it aired already? Cannot imagine them showing her on TV.
    Forum Member
    Listening to the new The Common Linnnets album now! I shall report back my findings!

#sendhelptonigelinthelibrary

edit: oooh calm after the storm is different on the album!

So listened to the album. Nice listen not mad about it (country isn't my thing tbh). The song 'broken but home' best song on album minus calm after the storm.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth was going on here last night? :o All these (semi-)naked photos...
    portugal wrote: »
    I voted 15 times for Softengine!
    Love you *blows a kiss* :)

It's just weird though that we're getting so much love now, though we wouldn't have got much points from the UK for example if it wasn't for the juries (*blows another kiss at them*)...
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I wonder if any countries will actually withdraw today.
    Russia wouldn't withdraw over the jury systems through and France also.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    I've already come up with the theory that the Dutch spokesman will be next year's entrant for the Netherlands. There must be some reason they put a random singer there. But he's not exactly a big name.

He was probably the only one available as we always have some flop as our spokesperson

I wouldn't mind him entering with a great song tho
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Conchita will visit the UK soon. Lena did when she won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    What on earth was going on here last night? :o All these (semi-)naked photos...

You should of joined us :D
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    EuroChris wrote: »

Usual overreaction by the Russian conservatives!!! Love that Conchita finds it funny :D

We'll probably have more floods or something now.... ;)
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member

One Russian politician was saying they should've never left Austria :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving hearing the discussions of Eurovision in the office this morning. No one at all seems bitter about our position, and all seemed to love Conchita. One of my colleagues just said she had a bit too much to drink, got a bit philosophical and started texting all her friends about how wonderful it was that Eurovision has made a difference in the world now that Conchita has won, haha.

This is the first time I can actually ever remember (I was still a student in '09 when Jade did well!) positive discussions about the contest. Everyone is also commenting on how epic her acceptance speech was. Which I agree! "We are a unity, we are unstoppable!"...

Thinking about that... "We Are Unstoppable" should be the slogan for 2015 :p
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I wonder if Conchita will visit the UK soon. Lena did when she won.

Oh I think so, I am sure the likes of GAY and various big-money Prides such as Brighton and Manchester are falling over themselves to book her.

So am coming late to the party here, but have to say was pretty gutted at 17th, I really think it was undeserved. I am not sure what the solution is, other than maybe just accepting that we simply cannot win it again.

Has there been any word from the BBC or Guy Freeman yet?
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I'm loving hearing the discussions of Eurovision in the office this morning. No one at all seems bitter about our position, and all seemed to love Conchita. One of my colleagues just said she had a bit too much to drink, got a bit philosophical and started texting all her friends about how wonderful it was that Eurovision has made a difference in the world now that Conchita has won, haha.

This is the first time I can actually ever remember (I was still a student in '09 when Jade did well!) positive discussions about the contest. Everyone is also commenting on how epic her acceptance speech was. Which I agree! "We are a unity, we are unstoppable!"...

Thinking about that... "We Are Unstoppable" should be the slogan for 2015 :p

#WeAreUnstoppable love it :D
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member

methinks she will be a very rich, very busy Conchita. I hope she comes over here again to London as i would love to go to one of her gigs. I'm very happy for her but at the same time worried for her. She has a great team around her it seems but I think this is going to be very overwhelming for her at first. They know what she looks like as Tom now, i remember her saying that when she was Tom she could slip about anonymous. She is a very hot ticket right now and everyone will want her on their show,. I wonder if she will do Ellen? I'm pretty sure she will get that grammy. Just love her.
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    So, the ESC has been shown in China for the last two years. Last year, they edited out Finland's lesbian kiss, so I think it was assumed that Conchita's performance would be edited out... but obviously as the winner, what are China going to do? What did they do if it aired already? Cannot imagine them showing her on TV.

LOl You cannot hide from the Conchita...not now she is suddenly mega famous. :D
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    @brb That just proves the true success of Molly, Guy & co. People were bitter because we'd done badly without really trying. This year, we tried, & that alone is worth any number of points. It's something to build on, stay on the path, & we will get there :)
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I've just been listening to The Common Linnets' album- it's really good.

I can definitely seeing it being a critical success and charting pretty well. CATS was definitely the most appropriate song for Eurovision on it, though. A lot of the other songs have a much stronger bluegrass element and might not have translated so well.
    Forum Member
    Also in other post-nf acts..

Our 2013 fave ADELÉN has got her new World Cup single out today.

http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/adelen-ole-stadium-anthem-single-premiere/
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liquidJP wrote: »
    Oh I think so, I am sure the likes of GAY and various big-money Prides such as Brighton and Manchester are falling over themselves to book her.

So am coming late to the party here, but have to say was pretty gutted at 17th, I really think it was undeserved. I am not sure what the solution is, other than maybe just accepting that we simply cannot win it again.

Has there been any word from the BBC or Guy Freeman yet?

The winner this year has shown you don't need a particularly good song or a strong rendition of it, we just need a gimmick. What could it be though?
    Forum Member
    I think Molly did fine actually, cant say i like her dress much but have always loved the song, plenty of songs below where hers ended up and its not like she came last. Been listening to some of her songs and she has some great stuff there. Looking forward to buying the album. I also think we are trying to hard to win at times. Maybe relax more send a great song next year and just relax. Its the taking part that counts, winning is lovely and of course i want us to win again ,but many countries have never won and yet looking at our record with 5 wins and countless 2nd places we are very successful. So happy for the Netherlands (which is almost like my second home) and Austria winning after a 48 dry spell. As soon as i saw Conchita's song i had a deep feeling she would win. She now has the subo effect and then some . I cant wait to see what she does next. I cant wait to see what Molly does next.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://eurovisionfantasies.tumblr.com/ lmfao sebalter vewing discretion here LOl

That blog is more than filth.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The winner this year has shown you don't need a particularly good song or a strong rendition of it, we just need a gimmick. What could it be though?

Regardless of your personal prejudices against Conchita (and God knows this weekend has been an eye opener, we still have a shamefully long way to come in acceptance :(), you'd really have to be a bloody minded armchair expert to even suggest Conchita's performance wasn't strong. It was the best vocal performance of the night!

I do love how the Eurovision fans who've been following Molly's song from February have accepted her defeat with grace and moved on, whereas the people who proclaim to be above the contest are still navel gazing, casting aspersions and generally acting like incredibly sore losers 48 hours on.
This discussion has been closed.