The Bloomberg TV Appreciation Thread

Comments

• viewer btvviewer btv Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Yes indeed she has when I got reply tweet from her last yr on Twitter she agreed it was amazing to think how time had flown since her first child was born only a few yrs back.I be pleased to see Maryam Nemazee back there at BTV though but fat chance of that happening at the moment.Maybe if she get a US of Hong Kong posting with them it might happen in a year or two I hope but that is just wishful thinking for now.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following the massive shake-up in the U.S. line-up (apart from Surveillance and Market Makers, all shows were replaced by the rather generic Bloomberg Market Day), the London output gets a make-over as well. Now, as of June 8:

- Anna Edwards and Guy Johnson will take over Countdown,
    - Jonathan Ferro remains 'on the move', and
    - Francine Lacqua and Manus Cranny will anchor The Pulse.

Apart from Countdown, however, it's not clear whether or not On the Move and The Pulse will be rebranded, though I do expect some new titles (finally!), apparently in accordance to the bolder Bloomberg Business branding. I'm so glad to see these cheap-looking flying icons and go away, especially on Countdown. Jon Ferro's web-exclusive "Morning Brief" clips might give a glimpse on the style being implemented on Bloomberg TV as well, which looks very promising.

The studio apparently remains the same. It does look dated, though, or at least they don't use it as elegantly as they used to. (I can't repeat it enough, the cutbacks in 2013 were a mistake, in terms of the talent being let go as well as when it comes to the actual broadcast technology.)

Watch the trailer on Vimeo:
    https://vimeo.com/129685552

Where is Caroline Hyde? Can't believe she still hasn't got her own show by now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Caroline getting married?

Next May I believe.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    - Anna Edwards and Guy Johnson will take over Countdown

I'm suddenly having CNBC flashbacks. I seem to remember they presented European Closing Bell and Europe Tonight together back in 2008-2009 or so. I remember coming home from school and later college (September '08 onwards) and watching their shows. European Closing Bell on CNBC was always the first thing I watched on TV when I came home from school :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm suddenly having CNBC flashbacks. I seem to remember they presented European Closing Bell and Europe Tonight together back in 2008-2009 or so. I remember coming home from school and later college (September '08 onwards) and watching their shows. European Closing Bell on CNBC was always the first thing I watched on TV when I came home from school :D

Usually presenters go from Bloomberg to CNBC, they are pretty much the only two to go in the opposite direction.
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Usually presenters go from Bloomberg to CNBC, they are pretty much the only two to go in the opposite direction.

Wonder why that is? I've been watching CNBC/Bloomberg since I was 15 and yet I never figured that one out :blush:
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    Wonder why that is? I've been watching CNBC/Bloomberg since I was 15 and yet I never figured that one out :blush:

Possibly because CNBC are not as good at finding and developing own talent they poach broadcast ready presenters from the opposition. It's why commercial TV tends to recruit from the BBC, same reason.

A former work colleague when I was working in insurance in London, had done a screen test to be a presenter on CNBC. Obviously did not get the job. She had no broadcasting background, and had been working in banking at the time. Was a stunningly attractive blonde, so they obviously do go for broadcast ability and knowledge over looks.
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Possibly because CNBC are not as good at finding and developing own talent they poach broadcast ready presenters from the opposition. It's why commercial TV tends to recruit from the BBC, same reason.

A former work colleague when I was working in insurance in London, had done a screen test to be a presenter on CNBC. Obviously did not get the job. She had no broadcasting background, and had been working in banking at the time. Was a stunningly attractive blonde, so they obviously do go for broadcast ability and knowledge over looks.

It's possible. Ooh that's interesting, what did the screen test involve? Is it like an audition type thing? Well I approve of any company who focuses on knowledge and experience over looks :cool: The obsession some people have with looks is something that really gets my goat. All that matters to me is that someone is dressed appropriately for the job and that they don't look like they haven't had showered for a month :o What really matters is what's in your brain. It's one of the reasons I never read women's magazines as they focus way too much on looks and appearance and they seem to think all women are airheads >:(
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    It's possible. Ooh that's interesting, what did the screen test involve? Is it like an audition type thing? Well I approve of any company who focuses on knowledge and experience over looks :cool: The obsession some people have with looks is something that really gets my goat. All that matters to me is that someone is dressed appropriately for the job and that they don't look like they haven't had showered for a month :o What really matters is what's in your brain. It's one of the reasons I never read women's magazines as they focus way too much on looks and appearance and they seem to think all women are airheads >:(

She went into details at a conference dinner.
    Was a number of filmed segments as you would experience anchoring any news show.
    Reading headlines from autocue and doing a mock interview, whilst both being filmed. The thing as a non TV person she said was hardest and I have always read it's the case was taking the concurrent direction from the producer through an earpiece whilst trying to conduct the interview at the same time.
    There was also a more general discussion on finance knowledge, although based upon my work with her, it was nowhere near at the level of knowledge of most of the business news presenters. Is probably why she did not get the job. She should have tried Sky News as I am sure she would have hired on the spot. Always wore the shortest skirts in the office. way shorter than I would consider business appropriate, but was an opportunity to show off her amazing legs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    What is it with Betty Liu showing a bit of knee half hidden by a computer during her show
    Is this 50+ lady pretending to be sexy- quite funny really.
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    She went into details at a conference dinner.
    Was a number of filmed segments as you would experience anchoring any news show.
    Reading headlines from autocue and doing a mock interview, whilst both being filmed. The thing as a non TV person she said was hardest and I have always read it's the case was taking the concurrent direction from the producer through an earpiece whilst trying to conduct the interview at the same time.
    There was also a more general discussion on finance knowledge, although based upon my work with her, it was nowhere near at the level of knowledge of most of the business news presenters. Is probably why she did not get the job. She should have tried Sky News as I am sure she would have hired on the spot. Always wore the shortest skirts in the office. way shorter than I would consider business appropriate, but was an opportunity to show off her amazing legs.

That actually sounds pretty difficult and probably harder for someone who isn't so good at public speaking. I'm not too bad at it as I've often given presentations at college, but I'm not sure if I'd handle being filmed. Haha were her skirts really that short?! Probably disappeared altogether when she sat down :p Even I wouldn't wear them that short :D
    Isn't Caroline getting married?

Now, about that new line-up... Okay, Anna and Guy gel well, we knew that from the U.K. Election programme. Graphics-wise, it's a mess. What a bummer, they had their chance. And with the surprisingly beautiful graphics of that special programme in mind, the results of the regular shows is even more disappointing:

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post961816#post-961816

That and they used to present on CNBC together back in 2008. I was obsessively watching the channel then and I remember coming home from school and watching European Closing Bell. I've got some screencaps on an old external hard drive and if I find one I'll post one :D It'll be like the old days of CNBC Europe again :p
    Forum Member
    Hard to believe it is nearly 3 years since Linzie Janis and Maryam Nemazee left BTV now how time flies though.Learned not to mention #BTV when tweeting to Maryam Nemazee on Twitter though she blocks you straight away though guess she is still a little sensitive about her firing from BTV back then.She is still good at what she does only wish they would bring her back to BTV though in some capacity her talent and experience are still a asset.
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here use the Bloomberg Business app on mobile devices to watch Bloomberg TV or read the business news? I've been having trouble with the live stream on there. I tried it via the app on Thursday morning around 11am and it wasn't playing. It just showed a static caption with the Bloomberg Television logo. About half an hour later I tried it on my Mac (using Opera) and it worked fine. I've had the live stream working on mobile before but for some reason it has stopped working. :confused:
    Forum Member
    BTV works on my Samsung Galaxy S6 sometimes with their app there.Angie Lau looks as stunning as ever First UP in Asia always the best prog on BTV by far .
    Surpised to see Flacqua co - presenting Bloomberg Surveillance as well these days from either London or New York .Apparently she is New York co -anchoring it this week do I sense see she is following Linzie Janis State side in the New Year?
    I remember Linzie Janis going to BTV in New York to do some co -anchoring of US output there in Aug 2012 before she left BTV in Dec 2012 to go ABC NEWS IN US in 2013.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewer btv wrote: »
    BTV works on my Samsung Galaxy S6 sometimes with their app there.Angie Lau looks as stunning as ever First UP in Asia always the best prog on BTV by far .
    Surpised to see Flacqua co - presenting Bloomberg Surveillance as well these days from either London or New York .Apparently she is New York co -anchoring it this week do I sense see she is following Linzie Janis State side in the New Year?
    I remember Linzie Janis going to BTV in New York to do some co -anchoring of US output there in Aug 2012 before she left BTV in Dec 2012 to go ABC NEWS IN US in 2013.

I think it's just for the week, Tom Keene was over in London a few weeks ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was watching Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation last night, and was rather surprised to see former Bloomberg presenter Judith Bogner pop up briefly as the Chancellor of Austria's wife.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caroline Hyde presenting Bloomberg Markets from New York today, perhaps they've finally realised what a star they have in her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Bloomberg ever done live weekend programming before? Have been covering Brexit almost non-stop since Friday.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,620
    Forum Member
    Have Bloomberg ever done live weekend programming before? Have been covering Brexit almost non-stop since Friday.

I don't remember any. I've been watching off and on since Friday. Good coverage overall - nice to have a more global focus than just who might replace Cameron and Corbyn.
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Bloomberg but I still struggle to watch it for more than a few minutes a time due to no HD channel on Sky.

Any word on when/if this will happen?
    Forum Member
    arunan22 wrote: »
    I love Bloomberg but I still struggle to watch it for more than a few minutes a time due to no HD channel on Sky.

Any word on when/if this will happen?

Why?? You don't really need HD for stock market news. I watch both CNBC and Bloomberg in SD :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?? You don't really need HD for stock market news. I watch both CNBC and Bloomberg in SD :D

Caroline Hyde and Shery Ahn would be even more stunning in HD😍
    Forum Member
    Woke up early this morning so I decided to look at Bloomberg on my phone. I notice now Guy Johnson is doing a show called Bloomberg Markets: European Open which is on from 7.30-9am. I watched it for an hour or so this morning. Needless to say I was one happy girl and it certainly woke me up for the day 😄 Countdown seems to be no more and what's happened to The Pulse? Is that still on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woke up early this morning so I decided to look at Bloomberg on my phone. I notice now Guy Johnson is doing a show called Bloomberg Markets: European Open which is on from 7.30-9am. I watched it for an hour or so this morning. Needless to say I was one happy girl and it certainly woke me up for the day 😄 Countdown seems to be no more and what's happened to The Pulse? Is that still on?

Almost all the shows were changed around some time ago. Caroline Hyde has replaced Hans Nicols in Berlin (although she was back in London this morning) and Francine Lacqua Co-presents Surveillance with Tom Keene.
    Forum Member
    Almost all the shows were changed around some time ago. Caroline Hyde has replaced Hans Nicols in Berlin (although she was back in London this morning) and Francine Lacqua Co-presents Surveillance with Tom Keene.

So The Pulse was canned then? I only just noticed recently that the shows were changes, but I'm happy as I got to watch an hour of Guy Johnson's show this morning :D found it hard to concentrate on my studying today :blush: I had a crush on him when I was 17 😍 got to meet him in real life in July 2007 and OMG I was starstruck! I couldn't say a word to him 😂