CS: Is Peter Barlow coming back?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
Forum Member
I'm sure I read somewhere that he was only taking a long break and planning to come back in a year's time? I think I probably imagined that:blush:

Comments

• stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the actor say something about wanting to travel the world?
    I hope he does return because Carla isn't as interesting with no Peter around.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I read he wanted to travel for a couple of years. I'm glad he left when he did as I don't see where his character could have gone after splitting with Carla and Tina being killed off.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I thought the actor decided to officially leave. I used to love the Peter Barlow character years ago and Chris Gascoyne was great during the initial alcoholism storyline. Too bad his last storyline was the horrific Tina plot.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    trevon1 wrote: »
    I thought the actor decided to officially leave. I used to love the Peter Barlow character years ago and Chris Gascoyne was great during the initial alcoholism storyline. Too bad his last storyline was the horrific Tina plot.

He does play a good drunk. Some actors (Les Dennis) are terrible at playing drunk but Chris Gascoine does it brilliantly.
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    I think he will come back at some point, but he doesn't know when but for now, he just a break from the Peter/the show to do whatever he wants to do with his life (traveling?) without being contracted to the show for so long.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CG has said he'll return one day but it'll be more like years than months. The interview is on DS somewhere.

Shame I liked Peter despite the awful writing. Whoever thought up the Tina storyline should've been sacked.
  • daryl_spicerdaryl_spicer Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is in Portsmouth. Only four hours on the train.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I do hope so ^_^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will definitely return after about 4/5 years. The Tina plot was concluded in such a way that Peter had to leave, so it's gonna be hard for him to return any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want Peter to return while The Hat is still around. Despite their faults, Kim Crowther and Phil Collinson got Peter's character spot on. 2010 was the best year for Peter in recent years.

The Hat does not 'get' Peter at all. I don't think The Hat 'gets' anything. He must be very low on brain cells to produce the shit we're seeing right now. Coronation Street 2014 is very much the equivalent EastEnders 2013. It's a sinking ship.
  • wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    He is in Portsmouth. Only four hours on the train.

I've hidden my daughters :o
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    I think thatbthey have left the door open for him.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    I think thatbthey have left the door open for him.

I understand that he was told that but Michelle Keegan was told that, too.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross1998 wrote: »
    I don't want Peter to return while The Hat is still around. Despite their faults, Kim Crowther and Phil Collinson got Peter's character spot on. 2010 was the best year for Peter in recent years.

The Hat does not 'get' Peter at all. I don't think The Hat 'gets' anything. He must be very low on brain cells to produce the shit we're seeing right now. Coronation Street 2014 is very much the equivalent EastEnders 2013. It's a sinking ship.

I disagree. Phil Collinson split Leanne and Peter up by making him have an affair with Carla. They were a good couple and had a decent family unit with Simon, which was all ruined. Not defending the tripe Peter was given the past year, but his time from 2008 to 2011 was better. Hope Peter and Leanne reconcile as I preferred her with him, they work so well together.

Peter should only be brought back on the condition that he doesn't end up cheating yet again, or always hitting the bottle. Bring his character into another direction without sleazy material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. Phil Collinson split Leanne and Peter up by making him have an affair with Carla. They were a good couple and had a decent family unit with Simon, which was all ruined. Not defending the tripe Peter was given the past year, but his time from 2008 to 2011 was better. Hope Peter and Leanne reconcile as I preferred her with him, they work so well together.

Peter should only be brought back on the condition that he doesn't end up cheating yet again, or always hitting the bottle. Bring his character into another direction without sleazy material.

Agreed RE Peter needing a new direction.

However, personally, I could not abide Peter and Leanne as a pairing - they bored me to tears. I always thought Peter and Carla was infinitely more interesting.

And let's not forget that Leanne also cheated on Peter with Nick. If both of them cheated with other people in the space of a year, they were doomed.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Agree with Nathan Johnson, much preferred Peter & Leanne to Peter & Carla!! Peter & Carla was a car crash waiting to happen!!
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    I think the intention is that he will return at some point but it isn't certain when and is likely to not be for a few years. I think they all feel (actor and writers) that there is still plenty of mileage in the character and there is scope for a return but he needs a considerable break to stop it getting tired - plus the actor wants a break.

I've criticized soaps in the past for 'leaving the door open' just as a safety net for the actor but i don't think that is what is happening here. Gascoyne has chosen to leavebecause he feels there is no more that can currently be done with Peter, he accepts that he can't just rely on it being there if and when he decides he wants to return. But, with his history, Ken, Deardre, Simon, Tracy and various ex's around he will be much easier to fit back in than many characters that leave.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I think the intention is that he will return at some point but it isn't certain when and is likely to not be for a few years. I think they all feel (actor and writers) that there is still plenty of mileage in the character and there is scope for a return but he needs a considerable break to stop it getting tired - plus the actor wants a break.

I've criticized soaps in the past for 'leaving the door open' just as a safety net for the actor but i don't think that is what is happening here. Gascoyne has chosen to leavebecause he feels there is no more that can currently be done with Peter, he accepts that he can't just rely on it being there if and when he decides he wants to return. But, with his history, Ken, Deardre, Simon, Tracy and various ex's around he will be much easier to fit back in than many characters that leave.

Very true, also he's been out for a year or more at a time on orevious occasions & come back fresher for it!!
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with Nathan Johnson
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I read he wanted to travel for a couple of years. I'm glad he left when he did as I don't see where his character could have gone after splitting with Carla and Tina being killed off.

Maybe if they hadn't put him through that stupid Tina affair storyline he'd not have left and Carla and Peter could have been a power couple.
  • ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I read somewhere that he was only taking a long break and planning to come back in a year's time? I think I probably imagined that:blush:

The writers have certainly made sure that Chris Gascoyne can return whenever he wants but he says it will be at least two years before he goes back to Corrie... I'm aware he has left quite a few times in the past and then he has gone back after a break but IMO, as an actor he has reached another level with his performances over the last few years, and I think he'll be offered some great roles.
    Ross1998 wrote: »
    Agreed RE Peter needing a new direction.

However, personally, I could not abide Peter and Leanne as a pairing - they bored me to tears. I always thought Peter and Carla was infinitely more interesting.

And let's not forget that Leanne also cheated on Peter with Nick. If both of them cheated with other people in the space of a year, they were doomed.

I loved Peter and Carla together from the start. I thought they were very compelling/brilliant to watch even though they were always being put through the wringer.

Chris Gascoyne and Alison King have been amazing this year :)
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    He does play a good drunk. Some actors (Les Dennis) are terrible at playing drunk

Ironic isnt it? Helen Worth is another ridiculous drunk. Funny? No chance.