Mad, bonkers and barking - are these words now unacceptable?

Comments

• droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Depends on the context.

If it's used to poke fun at your clumsy friend, then it's acceptable. But if it's used to insult someone with a disability, then no.

It hadn't occurred to me that someone would actually use it in that way.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night I had the dubious pleasure of watching my 14 y/o niece scold my 60 y/o aunt for using the word "asshole" on facebook to describe someone who had smashed up my cousins car windscreen.

She rather pompously suggested that the word "nutter" should be used instead. No-one does self-righteous like a 14 year old girl. It was all hugely entertaining. :D
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hadn't occurred to me that someone would actually use it in that way.

I must say that that's not what I was getting at either.

If used about somebody NOT mentally ill, why is it acceptable?

Or is calling someone Schitzy acceptable as it merely describes a healthy person who switches from one view to another, or their mood 'turns' quickly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I had the dubious pleasure of watching my 14 y/o niece scold my 60 y/o aunt for using the word "asshole" on facebook to describe someone who had smashed up my cousins car windscreen.

She rather pompously suggested that the word "nutter" should be used instead. No-one does self-righteous like a 14 year old girl. It was all hugely entertaining. :D

Nothing like the outrage of the young - and their horror at the 'inappropriate' language of their aged relatives.:D
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See Rhumba's comment about 'fagging'. Nothing to do with cigarettes. A **** = a drag (still nothing to do with cigarettes.... or gays!)

Aah, a drag, that's where it must have come from.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing like the outrage of the young - and their horror at the 'inappropriate' language of their aged relatives.:D

Once she had picked herself off the floor my sister sought my advice on how to go about shutting down a facebook acount.....:D
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If nothing else, the capricious nature of what is deemed acceptable or not at any given time should lead one to expand one's repertoire. Just get the thesaurus out and learn new angles to abuse folk. The more recherché the better.

You get to be horrible and smug and self-satisfied all at the same time.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    A long time ago, thanks to sailors.

In the nautical world a "****-end" was a rope that was frayed and useless at the end. Cigarettes also have a non-smokable butt/ filter on one end that is useless.

So the useless end of a cigarette got referred to as a "****-end" and this terminology was carried back to dry land by the sailors.

Logically (in the world of language evolution) if the bit at the end is the "**** end" then it must be because it's the end of a ****. So the cigarette as a whole was then called a ****.

:) Thanks for that. I didn't know that, and I am a smoker too!
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm beginning to think that some people are forgetting that an insult is meant to offend otherwise what's the point?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    If nothing else, the capricious nature of what is deemed acceptable or not at any given time should lead one to expand one's repertoire. Just get the thesaurus out and learn new angles to abuse folk. The more recherché the better.

No melancholia darling, chin up.

But, you can sit on my knee and have a bit of a cry if you want.

We're all bonkers you know - it's a sliding scale that goes back to bonkers when it gets too sane.

I agree about finding old words that mean the same but don't carry 'modern offence' - even if it is sort of cheating:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think that some people are forgetting that an insult is meant to offend otherwise what's the point?

Of course it is, but something not MEANT to offend, can, however, be deemed offensive

And some are descriptive and borderline 'offensive/true/funny'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No melancholia darling, chin up.

But, you can sit on my knee and have a bit of a cry if you want.

We're all bonkers you know - it's a sliding scale that goes back to bonkers when it gets too sane.

I agree about finding old words that mean the same but don't carry 'modern offence' - even if it is sort of cheating:D

A tempting offer, missy, to be sure.

Mind, I'm not melancholic in the slightest. Do I sound it? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tempting offer, missy, to be sure.

Mind, I'm not melancholic in the slightest. Do I sound it? :o

You were frothing and raving a little, I decided to distract you with love and misdirection.

Kissy.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You were frothing and raving a little, I decided to distract you with love and misdirection.

Kissy.:D

I'm insulted.

*tosses glove on floor in slightly aggressive manner*
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me if said in jest tbh... the ones I hate with a passion are 'mental' (and it's nonsense partner 'mentalist') and 'psycho'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me if said in jest tbh... the ones I hate with a passion are 'mental' (and it's nonsense partner 'mentalist') and 'psycho'.

Do they just bother you because they are 'rubbish' unimaginative, overused etc. or 'on principle'.

I personally prefer 'barking' (two aunts that fit that bill), and 'bats', which I am a bit.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    So what are we supposed to say instead? West Dagenham?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Domestos wrote: »
    I keep reading your username as 'Rumptabugger'

I always see Rumptugger.

Back to topic then IMO no but say if they were what words would replace them?
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It offends me though.

And you're NUTS by the way:rolleyes: to even THINK it wouldn't.;)

To be fair, I remember a phrase from back in the day 'he's a rum one'. Which meant he's a strange one, and as you have rum in your name i'm sure there's a very tenuous link meaning you are strange. The remaining letters in your name i'm not sure off.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was a rat, I'd certainly be offended if I overheard some youths describing how they got 'rat-arsed' the night prior.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    To be fair, I remember a phrase from back in the day 'he's a rum one'. Which meant he's a strange one, and as you have rum in your name i'm sure there's a very tenuous link meaning you are strange. The remaining letters in your name i'm not sure off.

True enough.

I think Rhumba - Tugger,

Although I do accept the idea of rum, and even rumbaba.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was a rat, I'd certainly be offended if I overheard some youths describing how they got 'rat-arsed' the night prior.

If you was a cat you could get other people to be offended on your behalf.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If rats could understand, how do we know what they would think?

(twisted bit of Wittgenstien there, take no notice, off on one).

And if you were a newt?:D

Or a glass bottle?

I'll stop now.:o
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The trouble with that is nobody will understand what you're on about and may accuse you of being a bit of a ... what's the word? ... nutter.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Although I do accept the idea of rum, and even rumbaba.

Now there's a memory of Wimpy Bars, it was one of my fav deserts.