Options

Do you feel under pressure to tip?

SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I usually tip waiters or waitresses if service has been good. However, I don't know why but I feel under pressure to do so every time these days. I especially feel under a huge amount of pressure when paying by card, when the machine asks directly 'do you wish to leave a tip?'

For me, the whole tipping thing can create an unnecessary anxiety at the end of a meal. I'd rather restaurants paid their staff a decent flat rate, put their prices up a bit, but made it clear that they don't accept tips.

Comments

• Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.
  • Options
    ICUDOICUDO Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I'd probably tip them my waters if I knew when that was going to happen...in a glass...with a slice of lemon....I'll probably eat out for about two weeks on purpose, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, in protest at the phlegm they secretly mix in wth the food
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always leave a tip, I don't feel under any pressure to do so. It's hard work waiting on tables, try it sometime.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.

doesnt make a whole lot of sense tbh
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No pressure at all. I simply don't tip.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I always leave a tip, I don't feel under any pressure to do so. It's hard work waiting on tables, try it sometime.

There are loads of jobs that are hard work. Most don't get tips.

I tend to leave a tip, if merited, and sometimes out of social obligation, but I'd much rather people got paid fairly for the work they do by their employers, and I'd much rather be quoted the price I'm expected to pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But don't you think it would be better if restaurants just paid their staff a higher wage and added 10% on to the prices?
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no. usually places where people tip are places where you don't really need to go to, so if you do go there you are usually financially sound to some degree, so the idea of giving a small percentage as a tip to someone who's helped make your day/night/whatever better is fine with me. on the same note, if they haven't done so i have no problems in not tipping, so on the rare occasion i've had bad service i've not tipped
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    But don't you think it would be better if restaurants just paid their staff a higher wage and added 10% on to the prices?

I think that does happen in some establishments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just out of interest, do you tip the cashier at the supermarket? Or your dental nurse? Or your postman? Or the workers at the rubbish tip? They are also hard jobs.
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do feel obliged to tip...

...now that the Council has removed the weekly bin collection! :D
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. :D
  • Options
    GoldengayerGoldengayer Posts: 292
    Forum Member

So do i. Waiting tables is hard work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, do you tip the cashier at the supermarket? Or your dental nurse? Or your postman? Or the workers at the rubbish tip? They are also hard jobs.

You must be psychic:D
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I tip, I don't because I think the waiter/waitress is underpaid - I doesn't come into my thinking.

Equally, I object to, and won't pay a service charge because that is an integral part of the dining experience, I don't expect to collect my own food or cook it myself.

Also, if I tip the waiter/waitress I want to tip them personally, because they have made my meal out a bit more special than they needed to; be it humour, really attentive or whatever. If that goes into a pot, or is snarfed by the management I can't control that, but I want them to know that I appreciated their efforts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do i. Waiting tables is hard work.

Yes, it's hard. That's one of the reasons I usually tip. However, lots of jobs are hard, but we don't feel socially obliged to tip them (other than perhaps at Christmas).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be psychic:D

And you must be made of money. :D
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    I would probably feel happier about it if I had a well paid job but I don't much if any more than a waiter and I don't get tipped in my job! What annoys me most is the places that add it on automatically so if you want to opt not to pay it you have to be a douche and ask to pay less.

I always believed you tip if the service has been good and sometimes it isn't that great. Also i went to a buffet restaurant last week and a tip was added on there! All they do is bring over a drink then leave you to it! What exactly am I paying them for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tip taxi drivers and the pizza guy - In restaurants if service is included i'm reluctant to pay twice for service unless its been particuarly attentive . Waiters /waitresses have to earn their tips like they do in the US ...and do it pretty well .
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never felt pressured to tip, I tip taxi drivers, because I drove a black cab in London for years, but I have to admit, I do it because it is the DONE thing.
    I've had friends say, "Do you still tip if they go the long way round?"
    I always told them, the same as I'm telling you, that "long way round" crap is a music hall joke, like mothers-in-law, and tight Scotsmen.
    Once in a million times you'll get a prat who'll go the wrong way on purpose, but the vast, vast, majority of black cab drivers just want to get you to your destination, get paid, then get another fare.
    No doubt people tipped me for the same reason, it's the done thing, but hand on heart, I never gave a toss if the fare didn't tip, provided I got what was on the meter at the end of the job.
    They could tip, or not tip, their prerogative, no argument from me.
    In restaurants I prefer it when they add the gratuity to the bill, but if anything had been wrong I would, and have had, no hesitation in getting the gratuity removed.
    I always tell them the reason why I'm not leaving a tip, and hope that they learn from that.
    If no gratuity has been added to the bill, I always leave 12.5% - 15% in the U.K., and 15% - 18% in the U.S.
    If the service has been bad, or non-existent, I don't tip, but I'll tell them politely why, (I've rarely had bad service in the U.S. they've had years of practice at getting customer service right.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you must be made of money. :D

No I'm not made of money, I just like to show some appreciation in a small way. I don't like skinflints, they are usually the people with loadsamoney.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Not really, no
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    I would probably feel happier about it if I had a well paid job but I don't much if any more than a waiter and I don't get tipped in my job! What annoys me most is the places that add it on automatically so if you want to opt not to pay it you have to be a douche and ask to pay less.

I always believed you tip if the service has been good and sometimes it isn't that great. Also i went to a buffet restaurant last week and a tip was added on there! All they do is bring over a drink then leave you to it! What exactly am I paying them for?

You should have questioned the bill and got the 'service charge ' removed
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel any pressure to tip, and only tip if I receive exceptional service one way or another. The reason being, I'm waiting staff myself on minimum wage so can't afford the tips on top of the bill, but of course if someone goes out of their way to make my meal special in some way I will acknowledge that even with a tip of only a couple of pounds because I know how appreciated it is.

I totally disagree with establishments that automatically add a tip onto the bill, which is "optional" but then you're the person who has to specifically say you don't want to tip. I guess that's the idea, pressuring you into feeling awkward about asking for it to be taken off. Funnily enough most places (not all, but most) which I have visited with this feature have provided much worse service than others. Most recently, a bill included a 20% tip - where the staff could barely remember my party's order which was 3 teas, 2 cheesecakes and a bowl of ice cream - not exactly a complicated order, but there you go, they got a 20% tip where normally I wouldn't give one for sloppy service like that. All tips should be optional, and not optional but you have to tell them specifically you're not tipping them.

I agree with a previous suggestion in this thread that waiting staff should have higher wages with prices reflecting this, and no expectation of tipping whatsoever. It would just make it easier all round!
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I totally disagree with being asked for a tip on card machines and the 'optional' service charge that some place add on.

It should be entirely voluntary.