Options

Should ethnic minorities integrate more, and if so how?

Comments

• Options
    ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=oldfogey101;63138174]No it isn't - you're seen as bringing shame on the community local to where you live which might be a bit backward - that is all.

In any case, a lot of people seem to think being integrated means dating folks of a different race - dating white folk seems to come up quite a bit - it's cohesion which is a part of integration, but not necessarily the be all and end all of what integration is.[/QUOTE

Perhaps that is so. However I went for an interview once for a job as an airline stewardess in London (I am in Leeds) with United Arab Emirates. There were 2 people present at the interview, an asian man and a white woman. I was asked in english how my family would feel about my living away from home. I explained to him that I already lived independently from my family hence it was not an issue. The man then switched to speaking urdu and basically accused me of bringing shame upon my family and of loose morals. This man was not part of my local community but still judged me. Needless to say I did not get the job.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Integrate more? Or just be like us?

Immigration vs Assimilation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    Are you holding up the West Indies as an example of how things should be or something? Why else keep mentioning it?

And then there was Africa which was pillaged by Western society
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    "Being rude on public transport" is an indigenous British trait, so that seems like an excellent example of someone successfully integrating.

Negative cohesion points I think - if all they did was use public transport, spend Benefits and be rude, then they'd be less than useless - negatively useless.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    radiofan1 wrote: »
    And then there was Africa which was pillaged by Western society

Yet, since they've been released from their western captors, they've still managed to royally screw things up.

Zimbabwe (formally Rhodesia) would be a case in point, not to mention Angola and Sudan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    That was then. This is now.

The British Empire. It happened. I can't be held responsible for what may or may not have happened in the past.

jra it's happening right now in the West indies, Africa as well, there is so much shortsightedness in the UK, as regards integration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yet, since they've been released from their western captors, they've still managed to royally screw things up.

Zimbabwe (formally Rhodesia) would be a case in point, not to mention Angola and Sudan.

Yep there's corruption in those countries, but wasn't it the bankers in the UK who brought the UK into recession, stop judging other countries and check out the crap that is happening our own backyard
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I was walking past a primary school the other day and watched the kids play for a while. After a while i noticed the children were playing within their own little ethnic groups. I must admit I found it very sad. I think sadly asian children are probably conditioned by their parent to relate to their fellow asians as they believe their children will be corrupted by western culture. My own mother always told even from going to primary school never to talk to boys. Can you imagine how confusing that was? One day a boy came up to me and told me he was my cousin and he was sorry my grandmother had died (which she had) I did not know what the hell to and just stood there tongue tied. She also never let us give our phone number out to friends, or play with them outside of school.

I have to agree. My niece (British/ Filipino) who is only 5 came home from school (a catholic school with quite a few of Asian/mixed background) & asked her daddy why the other children didn't want to play with the children with brown skin like her. He was very sad & surprised. Having chosen to marry a Filipino woman I don't think he anticipated any problems in multicultural Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps that is so. However I went for an interview once for a job as an airline stewardess in London (I am in Leeds) with United Arab Emirates. There were 2 people present at the interview, an asian man and a white woman. I was asked in english how my family would feel about my living away from home. I explained to him that I already lived independently from my family hence it was not an issue. The man then switched to speaking urdu and basically accused me of bringing shame upon my family and of loose morals. This man was not part of my local community but still judged me. Needless to say I did not get the job.

I'd have laughed my head off - the poor bugger would have been checkmated if you reasoned it out - which may be why you didn't get the job - if he was speaking in a foreign language that you understood, then he may well have been part of the same community as you - in any case, professional life and social integration aren't the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chloeb wrote: »
    I have to agree. My niece (British/ Filipino) who is only 5 came home from school (a catholic school with quite a few of Asian/mixed background) & asked her daddy why the other children didn't want to play with the children with brown skin like her. He was very sad & surprised. Having chosen to marry a Filipino woman I don't think he anticipated any problems in multicultural Britain.

The solution is not wait for others to integrate, you make the first move to invite your daughters school friends to your home for a party or something, or go one step further and invite your daughters friends parents for a meal, we have to stop this cycle of distrust in the community and neighbourhood
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep there's corruption in those countries, but wasn't it the bankers in the UK who brought the UK into recession, stop judging other countries and check out the crap that is happening our own backyard

Yes, it was partly due to our bankers that we are in recession, but we are still a democratic country, despite all our faults.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/angola
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/sudan
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/zimbabwe

From.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report-types/freedom-world

Compare with.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/united-kingdom

1 is highest, 7 is lowest.

Africa likes blue as in being undemocratic, repressive etc., rather than green.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The solution is not wait for others to integrate, you make the first move to invite your daughters school friends to your home for a party or something, or go one step further and invite your daughters friends parents for a meal, we have to stop this cycle of distrust in the community and neighbourhood

They don't come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »

It is a great shame chloeb. I would like to believe that it is in schools where children can learn to integrate with cultures other than their own. I think schools are doing a great job in educating children on other cultures as in teaching about Eid, Diwali and Hannukah etc. I do not know what the answer is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have laughed my head off - the poor bugger would have been checkmated if you reasoned it out - which may be why you didn't get the job - if he was speaking in a foreign language that you understood, then he may well have been part of the same community as you - in any case, professional life and social integration aren't the same.

Do you know something I was so shocked my jaw hit the floor. I could not believe that he would openly insult me in an interview setting. I wish I had had my wits about me and complained to the highest management. He was speaking in Urdu and was muslim. I am sikh and my native language is punjabi therefore he is not part of the same community as me.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

British?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They don't come.

Well you keep on asking, how do we make friends?, it starts with small talk, then getting to know people, inviting them for a beverage, and then it eventually ends with you inviting that individual for a meal. We in the UK are slow to take these steps as it's not in our culture to get to know foreigners, in fact some on this thread have shown this trait.

Prejudice and distrust only manifests itself when we refuse to gather innformation about other peoples cultures and beliefs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was partly due to our bankers that we are in recession, but we are still a democratic country, despite all our faults.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/angola
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/sudan
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/zimbabwe

From.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report-types/freedom-world

Compare with.
    http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/united-kingdom

1 is highest, 7 is lowest.

Africa likes blue as in being undemocratic, repressive etc., rather than green.

This thread isn't about democracy, it's about integration.
    Question jra, what have you done to get to know your Polish neighbours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you know something I was so shocked my jaw hit the floor.

It sounds very dramatic - but I think an interview like that isn't much to do with integration.

But I would say the shunning is anti-cohesive - so the opposite of integration - there's quite a few thick people that engage in it though - people that are unlikely to make up for such negativity with financial contributions - so be negatively useless.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Integrate more? Or just be like us?

Immigration vs Assimilation.

Exactly. It's a very fine line and depends on your perspective.

I don't see what the problem is with not integrating, really. I'm sure it's bad because I've been told to, but I don't get why. British culture isn't that amazing.

You can't force integration and why bother.
    Eventually British culture just ends up stealing their words and food, and the minorities carry on doing what they did before, only watching Eastenders and eating happy meals.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should be made to do an english test before entering the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is with not integrating, really.

If noone integrated, we'd be living in a crappy society.

'Non-integration is bad'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If noone integrated, we'd be living in a crappy society.

'Non-integration is bad'.
    That's just the "what would happen if everyone did that" excuse.
    Maybe they like their own society better?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This thread isn't about democracy, it's about integration.
    Question jra, what have you done to get to know your Polish neighbours?

I get on with them just fine, like all of my neighbours, even if we can't communicate very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    That's just the "what would happen if everyone did that" excuse.
    Maybe they like their own society better?

I guess it is - but if everyone had that attitude and didn't integrate, it'd be a much poorer society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it is - but if everyone had that attitude and didn't integrate, it'd be a much poorer society.

in what way exactly?:confused: