Options

I find churches strangely comforting, Yet I'm not religious.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live right by one. The bell goes on the hour 24/7. I love it. I love the church, I love the kind of peace it gives out. Yet I have never been religious. Just wondered if anyone else has the same experience.

Comments

• Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I totally get where you are coming from.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i like the peace and the history.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea i understand. Whenever i go to Salisbury Cathedral i always just feel safe and a bit in awe and wish i was religious.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where we live in Sitges we hear the bell from the church striking every 15 minutes (they tell the time in quarters of the hour there). It's nice at night especially, when we have the terrace doors open and you can hear the low rumble of the sea too. It's almost like a connection with all the generations that went before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    I enjoy a good church service and find comfort in them but I'm not in the least religious .
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan. I do like Chvrches though.
  • Options
    DojiDoji Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I definitely believe in a higher power but i haven't been to church for a long time. I agree though, a church usually offers some kind of calm, especially on a rainy night.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I don't particularly like Churches. They make me uncomfortable.
  • Options
    ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I understand totally. I've been an atheist for all of my adult life but love the history of churches and theeace and solitude inside them,
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed everything from the pews to the stained glass windows makes them very comforting. It is just a shame about the ultimate bs that is spread in them buildings that ruin the whole beauty of them.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the more modern ones leave me a bit cold tbh.
  • Options
    Michael_SteinMichael_Stein Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    They're too cold and hardened places. Go into a Mosque or Sikh temple and you'll notice a vast difference.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I think it's perfectly natural to feel that

And despite the bad press extreme wings of the church cause, most churchgoers in my experience are benevolent and kindly people. So it's little wonder that most churches have a peaceful and welcoming atmosphere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed everything from the pews to the stained glass windows makes them very comforting. It is just a shame about the ultimate bs that is spread in them buildings that ruin the whole beauty of them.

I am a Christian (but I am not religious) and I love churches, minsters, cathedrals, monastic buildings and even abbey ruins (Barrow Abbey for example) there is a calmness that doesn't seem to be present in other ancient/medieval buildings like Castles and Keeps.
    The only other place that seems to have a similar effect on me is an old book shop. The feeling there though seems more one of secretiveness or anticipation.
    I find it quite interesting that different buildings can engender different emotions.

Just to clarify Christian but not religious. I have no real interest in most of the traditional expressions of Christianity (or any religion) I feel very strongly that real Christianity is a relationship with Jesus, more like a close personal best friend, than one of 'fear' (the being scared of God type).
    I am not saying my understanding is right and others are wrong. It's a personal understanding and experience that has been my good fortune to know.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not strange, they were designed to be imposing, awe inspiring, to foster a mesmerising presence, with the addition of good acoustics & imagery.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a Christian (but I am not religious) and I love churches, minsters, cathedrals, monastic buildings and even abbey ruins (Barrow Abbey for example) there is a calmness that doesn't seem to be present in other ancient/medieval buildings like Castles and Keeps.
    The only other place that seems to have a similar effect on me is an old book shop. The feeling there though seems more one of secretiveness or anticipation.
    I find it quite interesting that different buildings can engender different emotions.

Just to clarify Christian but not religious. I have no real interest in most of the traditional expressions of Christianity (or any religion) I feel very strongly that real Christianity is a relationship with Jesus, more like a close personal best friend, than one of 'fear' (the being scared of God type).
    I am not saying my understanding is right and others are wrong. It's a personal understanding and experience that has been my good fortune to know.

Like some on here so far, I too have been an athiest throughout my adult years and have been overwhelmed when visiting certain churches, cathedrals, etc. (the last one being Canterbury Cathedral and before that Lincoln, which was awesome!). I think it was more of the fact that such vast buildings could have been built all these hundreds of years ago and they have so much history rather than the religious side of things.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think of all the people that lived and entered the building before me, be it a church or any ancient building, all the people that smiled and cried in their own era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like hymns and i'm an athiest:)
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can certainly appreciate the architecture and the crastmenship that went into them.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I can certainly appreciate the architecture and the crastmenship that went into them.

Yes, and having just seen the BBC news and their filming of the Parliament buildings and Big Ben it just makes me wonder what happened to the real architects of this country (or rather their offspring!).

Although on a lighter note, if there is a River Thames flood, will the Parliament building float away across the North Sea to Europe? The building does look like something akin to Venice!
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not religious either but I love the architecture of churches both on the outside and inside. I think the vast amount of old style churches we have in this country are just one of the many things that make Britain great. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valeron wrote: »
    I understand totally. I've been an atheist for all of my adult life but love the history of churches and theeace and solitude inside them,

Same for me.
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd describe myself as a highly sceptical agnostic, but I love visiting churches. I think it's the feeling of travelling back in time they give you. I guess there's no fundamental reason why I get that from churches rather than other old buildings though. Maybe it's down to the general hush and the feeling that you need to speak in whispers, which you don't particularly get from walking around a stately home or wherever.

I find cathedrals in particular pretty awe inspiring.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Churches offer a lovely quiet solitude to contemplate big questions even Google cannot answer!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Notre Dame in Paris is always pictured from the outside, but the inside is amazing.