Options

What's the worst decision you ever made?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just bumbled through life without making too many decisions......usually settling for whatever the easiest option was, avoiding responsibility and commitments

I do regret dumping my first girlfriend though........:o
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being stronger 14 years ago...choosing to forgive instead of cutting the whole thing dead :(
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to blunder from one disaster to another relationship wise. I regret the fact that I took the easy option and my first marriage was the result. Complete disaster from start to finish, and I knew it wouldn't work - but still blundered ahead with it.

On a lighter note, I have made some terrible decisions when buying cars over the years. :blush: A Renault Vel Satis being one of my not so bright decisions. I never learn where cars are concerned, and have bought some complete lemons over the years.

I generally don't have regrets though. Just move on ...
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to blunder from one disaster to another relationship wise. I regret the fact that I took the easy option and my first marriage was the result. Complete disaster from start to finish, and I knew it wouldn't work - but still blundered ahead with it.

On a lighter note, I have made some terrible decisions when buying cars over the years. :blush: A Renault Vel Satis being one of my not so bright decisions. I never learn where cars are concerned, and have bought some complete lemons over the years.

I generally don't have regrets though. Just move on ...

I bought a PT cruiser when I passed my driving test... worst car I've ever owned. I thankfully don't have it anymore because I don't need to drive very often, but at the time I used to dread driving that thing to Uni.
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PT cruiser that's a clanger alright!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting married to young.:blush:
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Probably focussing on physical and mathematical sciences at higher education level rather than social sciences.

I followed my head rather than my [highlight]♥[/highlight] and I wish now I hadn't.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just thought of another one - a few years ago when I had the money and a car - I was so fed up one day I thought right - I'm just going to leave and find a nice job and rent a little place just for myself in rural Yorkshire and start my life all over again. But then I thought of my family and I didn't do it. Bad mistake.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes my two main decisions worse is that if I'd essentially gone left instead of right, I could have also bought my mum's council house as well and probably be worth close to £500k now.

Also turned down an IT job with the British Medical Association which involved creating their whole internal intranet system from the ground up and I would have been given all the necessary training I would have needed.

Because it was paying less than what I was on, I said no but realised many years later that it would have been a major step forwards career wise and would have probably led to other, better jobs.

Regret not telling an old boss of mine to go f**k himself after he screwed me out of a job I loved as well.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marrying my husband.

Same here (although thankfully, he's an ex-husband now).

The first 18 months were ok, but then he became more and more abusive. After 9.5 years, I told him I wanted a divorce and asked him to leave (we were living in the house I'd bought many years before I met him).

He refused to move out and put me through 5 years of hell before we were finally divorced, and I had to pay him £97.5k as a divorce settlement. He lied like mad in his financial evidence, but I couldn't prove anything.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taking the A183 instead of the A1231 near Christmas one year
  • Options
    zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I know someone who made the mistake of leaving a great job at ITV so that they could join the BBC, this was a mistake as this person I know is now back at ITV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Selling my vinyl records in the late 80's in favour of CD....what an idiot.

I don't know if you are thinking of the finances of it, but I trade in vinyl records on ebay and most of them are not worth much. I put most of them on with a starting price of £4 and it's pretty rare for anything to go for more than a tenner even though I send them all over the world. (I did once sell one for £150, but that was a very rare jazz record and a very keen collector.)

I guess objectively my worst decision was my splendid buy-to-let empire, which is worth about half what it was when I bought the flats. I fully intended to sell up gradually after about 10 years because I rent to ex prisoners and it is ridiculously stressful and hard. Only of course I can't because I am in massive negative equity. BUT, in a sense, I have done exactly what I intended, which is provide homes for people who would otherwise be homeless, so I try to stay optimistic. If only the prices would creep up to cover the mortgages I would start offloading them though. Sometimes I think I will throw up if I get another phone call saying someone has smashed a load of windows/ the utilities companies have seized the meters/ a tenant has gone to prison leaving his flat full of used needles and rotten food. :cry:
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, even some of my not so good decisions have still taught me valuable life lessons, so even though I got sacked from a shitty company (after being stitched up by the boss) I don't regret taking the job in the first place.

I guess I regret deciding that I had better things to do than study for my A Levels (like going down the pub). I completely wasted a good education.

And I regret not asking Kay Fisher out. Sorry Kay. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My worst decision was having a rebound relationship with someone and trying to settle with him for three years. I knew it was wrong after the first night but went against my gut instinct.

I'm still feeling the effects now...we got a mortgage together in a town he said was really nice. It's crap! House on the market now and moving in with someone I really love. :)

PS...previous guy was a passive aggressive selfish idiot so don't waste any sympathy on him! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I'm doing it at the moment with the OU and loving every minute of it. This is my 2nd module and it's got me totally gripped. The funny thing was that at first I thought that my worst decision was leaving school and not continuing with my education but I think that really it turned out to be a good decision because I know that I would never have had the level of commitment than as I do now at this age (27) or the life experience to understand more about people and their mindset.

What course are you on? I'm doing DD307 now. :)
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prince Charles asked me to marry him. I told him he was an ugly jug-eared bore, I didn't support the principle of hereditary monarchy and homosexuality itself was barely legal, never mind gay marriage. All fair enough but I'd have probably made him happier than Diana did.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    plymgary wrote: »
    What course are you on? I'm doing DD307 now. :)

I'm doing DE100 at the moment - Investigating psychology. How are you getting on with yours? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    A few years ago when I was ill with a virus, I didn't smoke a single cigarette for 9 days. The mere thought of smoking made me want to hurl but once my stomach was back to normal I stupidly decided to finish the remaining cigarettes I had left in the house and be done with it. But of course quitting smoking doesn't work like that....

The very first **** I had was a bad enough decision but to start up again after I'd been given a really good opportunity to give up was definitely worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I'm doing DE100 at the moment - Investigating psychology. How are you getting on with yours? :)

Oh, that sounds good. It didn't even exist when I started! :blush:

It's going well. Have you done your first TMA yet? I have one due on Thursday and only started it today.

Oh, and one thing I didn't realise when I started is that Level 1 courses don't count towards your final degree classification...so you can relax and not stress about it too much. :)
  • Options
    fw750xfw750x Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Not finishing carrying all my stuff from my then girl friends place.After a blazing row that she started over something that she had dreamt up.She promised me she would wise up and it would never happen again "Stupid me believed her " And of course it happened again several times.The only good thing out of the whole realationship was my Daughter the rest of it was a total nightmare.Never again for as long as i live.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you could say I regret not taking up the offer from the "ex" for a special cuddle when she wasn't feeling well. It would have raised my lifetime count from 3 to 4 i suppose :D
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just 1 more...
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    plymgary wrote: »
    Oh, that sounds good. It didn't even exist when I started! :blush:

It's going well. Have you done your first TMA yet? I have one due on Thursday and only started it today.

Oh, and one thing I didn't realise when I started is that Level 1 courses don't count towards your final degree classification...so you can relax and not stress about it too much. :)

No not yet my first TMA is due on 9th November. This is my second module in my first year so I'm not as worried as I was in the first module after not doing anything educational wise for over 10 years!

I don't want to relax too much because although my overall score was pretty good, my end of module assignment I just scrapped the grade in my first module. Don't want to get too comfortable with thinking I can take it easy.

Tbh though I'm enjoying this module so much more then my previous one AA100 Arts past and present, so much so I'm thinking of changing my pathway.

Have you done anything with the BPS yet?
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sticking in at school. I left school in '82, and a lot (but not all) of my friends and classmates got good apprenticeships in engineering and in the shipyards. Me? I achieved nothing. I've worked solidly for all that time, but I've never earned much, had a nice car or been on good holidays. I'm now working for my childhood friend, and he pays me virtual peanuts.