Options

Poll: What are the most overrated horror movies?

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
Forum Member
What are the most overrated horror movies? Why do you think they are overrated?

Name them & shame them. You can vote for as many as you want.

What are the most overrated horror movies? 217 votes

The Ring
4%
gother[Deleted User]Paradise_LostWolfsheadishdee123bluefbAnne-Marie_Rowequirkyquirkmiss_astrid 9 votes
The Exorcist
7%
mgvsmithScottishWoodyironjadespeigelgotherpunkyfish50andersonsonsonSuperAPJAndy Birkenheadsamcains90SurrenderBillkirbyreedtimebuggtfc1984IWasBoredArtfulDodger81 16 votes
Haute Tension
2%
Karismrkite77meglosmurmursdee123ItsTotesSoFluff 5 votes
Psycho
1%
Stuart_hSuperAPJIJoinedInMay 3 votes
A Nightmare On Elm Street
2%
JamieHTsheila bligetimebugMicknsivQuixoticLee_Smith2 6 votes
Let The Right One In
1%
bingbongeastboy1980punkyfish50samcains90 4 votes
Saw
5%
[Deleted User]JamieHTwodder18eastboy1980CBFreakmeglosmurmursFanielleCreamteadee123[Deleted User]timebugquirkyquirkmiss_astrid 13 votes
Hostel
7%
ZeusKaris[Deleted User]JamieHT007FusionCBFreakParadise_Lostmialicioussarahj1986Creamteadee123bluefbquirkyquirkPointymiss_astridLee_Smith2 16 votes
Friday The 13th
4%
Alrightmate[Deleted User]JamieHTAneechiksheila bligemialiciousChristopherJMicknsivMalcolm_ReedLee_Smith2 10 votes
The Blair Witch Project
16%
pericomAlrightmateCLL DodgebingbongGrecomaniaOld Man 43[Deleted User]bobblaJamieHTjzeeNightHawk123Mark39Londonbarbelersd99Dreamer27CBFreakaclevernamesheila bligesamcains90Hound of Love 35 votes
Paranormal Activity
10%
CLL DodgebingbongThe AmbassadorGrecomaniajzeeNoseyLouiejoshrulez2eastboy1980punkyfish50meglosmurmursSimonB79samcains90missy83mialiciousdee123ursula321[Deleted User]quirkyquirkgrazemytvaddictTATTOO62 23 votes
The Shining
3%
Stuart_hParadise_Lostandersonsonsonsheila bligedee123TATTOO62Malcolm_Reed 7 votes
Rosemary's Baby
1%
Stuart_h[Deleted User]TATTOO62 3 votes
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2%
CBFreak[Deleted User]sheila bligeCreamteakirbyreedMalcolm_Reed 6 votes
Suspiria
2%
ironjadeThe AmbassadorGrecomania[Deleted User]aclevernameMalcolm_Reed 6 votes
The Howling
3%
Scooterwolf[Deleted User]eastboy1980mialiciousdee123IWasBoredMicknsiv 7 votes
The Cabin In The Woods
5%
ZeusStuart_hJohnny Clayjzeepunkyfish50FanielleTakaeCreamteamkirilenkofandee123BanziBabyMalcolm_Reed 12 votes
The Conjuring
3%
ironjadeThe AmbassadorGrecomaniasinbad8982Creamteabluefbmiss_astrid 7 votes
Ginger Snaps
2%
ScooterwolfKaris[Deleted User]aclevernameCreamteadee123 6 votes
Insidious
5%
AlrightmateFinal TerrorThe Ambassadorcomputermastersinbad8982mrkite77eastboy1980CreamteaMediaMan5IJoinedInMaybluefbmiss_astrid 12 votes
Something else
5%
brumiladStuart_heastboy1980Paradise_LostJohnbeeTCD1975Danger Closedee123IWasBoredItsTotesSoFluffTom_Mullen 11 votes

Comments

• Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Can i ask what the criteria were for your list? When you say 'overrated' I assume that means acclaimed by critics, film experts, historians and viewers. The type of films that routinely feature in a Top 10. But there are some idiosyncratic choices in your poll that arent generally considered as the best of the genre... eg The Howling, which i personally love isnt generally overrated cos An American Werewolf in London is considered the definitive werewolf movie. And The Ring is not as acclaimed and therefore potentially as overrated as Ringu, the Japanese original.

You rightly include widely acclaimed films The Shining, Psycho, Rosemarys Baby, The Exorcist and Suspiria. All of these could be considered overrated by certain viewers. But id expect to see mainstays like Alien, Carrie, Halloween or The Thing in a poll. Or Romero's dead trilogy (which i personally think are overrated). Or older classics like Nosferatu, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula (Hammer version), Curse of the Cat People, etc.

For me personally, those early black and white horrors are overrated. Groundbreaking in their day and important in cinema history but they dont hold up against later classics like Alien simply because theyre not scary (although I did quite enjoy Bride of Frankenstein and Val Lewton's stuff). Alien was 30 years ago but still manages to terrify.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paranormal Activity
    Blair Witch or Paranormal activity.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday The 13th
    I've said Friday 13th.

I really have no idea how it became so big. Slashers had already been around for years so it wasn't exactly new and the killings weren't any more gruesome than other films of the same era. Aside from that, the construction of the story is woeful and the script is shit.

There's literally nothing about it that deserves a place in a list of classic horror movies yet it seems to have shoehorned itself in there anyway.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for Suspiria. I've watched this nonsense twice, and i still dont understand why its so highly lauded
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cabin In The Woods
    Tough choice because a) most on the list* didn't work for me, b) there's no such thing as an overrated film (either it works or it doesn't) and c) almost all on the list are influential to a degree.

All right. I'm going with The Cabin in the Woods. It's a Tarantinoseque bingo card of genre conventions, clichés, tributes and metafictional references. I still feel odd for being among the few who found it predictable and boring.
  • Options
    joshrulez2joshrulez2 Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paranormal Activity
    This depends on what film somebody classes as being rated so it can be "overrated".
    I voted Paranormal activity but it is definitely not the worst film out of the bunch
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I've said Friday 13th.

I really have no idea how it became so big. Slashers had already been around for years so it wasn't exactly new and the killings weren't any more gruesome than other films of the same era. Aside from that, the construction of the story is woeful and the script is shit.

There's literally nothing about it that deserves a place in a list of classic horror movies yet it seems to have shoehorned itself in there anyway.

It's a pretty terrible film, I agree but the fact that it's been copied or parodied or paid homage to (eg Scream) so often says something about its influence. It had the same genre staples as the much better Halloween and between them they built the template: teens being stalked, silent killer in mask with dark back story and vengeance motive, obligatory sex scenes and tit shots, 'final girl' survives (virginal and resourceful), twist ending.

I did have genuine nightmares about Kevin Bacon getting knifed from under the bed though. Made my sister take the bottom bunk after that. :(
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Nightmare On Elm Street
    I've said Friday 13th.

Friday the 13th is dire, but I'm not surprised it was popular at the time of its release, it rode the wave of Halloween's popularity. I don't think a lot of the teenagers and young adults back then (or now) were looking for a really good script or acting, they were looking for gore, sex and cheap thrills. I think the fact that the film was released in 1980 before the market became highly saturated with cheap, over-the-top, gory slasher/horror films has helped it keep its cult status. Plus it's one of the most profitable slasher films in history which has helped its legacy out over the years.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday The 13th
    I've said Friday 13th.

It was a combination of many things which made that movie so financially successful. Memorable elements were taken from movies Black Christmas, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween. Then they used the setting and even murder set pieces from Bava movies. Lastly, it came only 14 months after Halloween hit big and was given a huge marketing campaign after Paramount picked it up.

A very entrepreneurial movie, what with its marketing, whodunnit story and open ending. Ironically, it is one of the weakest of the early 80's slasher movies. The sequels had not to live up to and were mostly total crap, yet they had somehow created this iconic horror series due to Crystal Lake, hockey mask, Jason etc. The endless sequels and that iconic factor has made many cinema goers somehow think the original was a masterpiece when it was actually forgettable trash. Hence how it found itself on great horror lists.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday The 13th
    I'm going to get bashed for this but I put A Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure it's unbelievably creative, has some superb kills, a classic score and created a great character in Freddy Krueger. But it falls to pieces in the third act, the ending is probably one of the worst put on screen and, like many of his films, it is weighed down from Wes Craven's fondness of philosophy and metaphysics. That's not to mention the horribly dated effects. Still miles better than the remake though.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything directed by Dario Argento.

I seriously don't know why people rate his films so much. They look cheap and amateurish, with Argento's eye for arty surrealism a total distraction rather than an asset
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    The Blair Witch Project
    The Blair Witch Project

It was awful.

Only Americans could think that it was real.:D:D:D
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was not particularly any good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something else
    Can i ask what the criteria were for your list? When you say 'overrated' I assume that means acclaimed by critics, film experts, historians and viewers. The type of films that routinely feature in a Top 10. But there are some idiosyncratic choices in your poll that arent generally considered as the best of the genre... eg The Howling, which i personally love isnt generally overrated cos An American Werewolf in London is considered the definitive werewolf movie. And The Ring is not as acclaimed and therefore potentially as overrated as Ringu, the Japanese original.

You rightly include widely acclaimed films The Shining, Psycho, Rosemarys Baby, The Exorcist and Suspiria. All of these could be considered overrated by certain viewers. But id expect to see mainstays like Alien, Carrie, Halloween or The Thing in a poll. Or Romero's dead trilogy (which i personally think are overrated). Or older classics like Nosferatu, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula (Hammer version), Curse of the Cat People, etc.

For me personally, those early black and white horrors are overrated. Groundbreaking in their day and important in cinema history but they dont hold up against later classics like Alien simply because theyre not scary (although I did quite enjoy Bride of Frankenstein and Val Lewton's stuff). Alien was 30 years ago but still manages to terrify.

I mean everyone. Critics and us regular folk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something else
    I went for Suspiria. I've watched this nonsense twice, and i still dont understand why its so highly lauded

Mainly it's the way it looks.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The Cabin In The Woods
    Blair Witch didn't work for me, but given the technique used it was always going to garner a very subjective response. Far more notable as a media event than an actual film really.

So it's another nod for The Cabin in the Woods. A film designed to flatter the unawares into thinking they're in on something clever.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Ginger Snaps
    Takae wrote: »
    All right. I'm going with The Cabin in the Woods. It's a Tarantinoseque bingo card of genre conventions, clichés, tributes and metafictional references. I still feel odd for being among the few who found it predictable and boring.

I only checked this thread to see comments like this one. CitW is a genius movie. I know each to their own but the number of people who say "it's a crap horror movie" - it's funny because that's exactly what it is, and is not!

At least as a homage to other movies it excels.

Same with Blair Witch. It was absolutely revolutionary when it came out and spawned entire genres. It's also extremely adept at creating something horrific with layer upon layer.

That said, sometimes you're just going to watch a movie and it's never going to appeal to you for a million reasons, and that's fine, too :)

Whether you like or hate a movie, at least try to see what the creators were doing. Watch some of these movies in the same brain-dead way as half the viewers on Orange Wednesday and you're never going to see the subtle nuances...
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The Cabin In The Woods
    Karis wrote: »
    Whether you like or hate a movie, at least try to see what the creators were doing.
    Admirable sentiment, but alas the wrong film.

What the creators of CitW are doing surely couldn't be more obvious.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Blair Witch Project
    I liked the book of 'The Exorcist',badly written and plodding
    as it was; the film,needed a laugh track adding!
    Especially near the start,when the sound of a lion roaring
    came from the attic,and the handyman chap said something
    like' Must be rats..I'll get a trap'!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something else
    Interesting nobody has chosen Rosemary's Baby. That seem to be recently at least (possibly because of it's director) on people's hit lists for being overrated.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Why isn't there a category for "All of them!".

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Paranormal Activity
    I personally find Paranormal Activity and Saw pretty tedious and not very enjoyable at all.

Plus I also voted Haute Tension, as the twist felt way too cliched and has been done far better many other times.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cabin In The Woods
    Karis wrote: »
    I only checked this thread to see comments like this one. CitW is a genius movie. I know each to their own but the number of people who say "it's a crap horror movie" - it's funny because that's exactly what it is, and is not!

At least as a homage to other movies it excels.

Same with Blair Witch. It was absolutely revolutionary when it came out and spawned entire genres. It's also extremely adept at creating something horrific with layer upon layer.

That said, sometimes you're just going to watch a movie and it's never going to appeal to you for a million reasons, and that's fine, too :)

Whether you like or hate a movie, at least try to see what the creators were doing. Watch some of these movies in the same brain-dead way as half the viewers on Orange Wednesday and you're never going to see the subtle nuances...

*arched eyebrow* I never said I expected it to be a horror film nor did I say it was a 'crap horror movie'. I did see what the creators were trying to do, and it bored me. I've seen that kind of attempt before, especially in short films and graduate films. Wheldon and Goddard weren't the first to try turning a genre inside out and they won't be the last. In fact, it's a favourite with many directors and writers since the 1940s, especially Tarantino. Hence, my tongue-in-cheek mention of the Tarantinoseque bingo card.

Thanks for amusing me with your implication that I'm a brain-dead film goer, though. :D
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else
    I would like to ask the few people who consider that Psycho is 'overrated', what is it that makes them think that.
    When first released, it had many bad reviews, one said it was a blot on Hitchcock's career, one said it was just a gimmick film and another that it was a cheap TV show padded out. That was in the US, in Britain it was universally panned.

Of course it made a lot of money because the public paid to see it in large numbers. But you can not under rate or over rate the cash made, the money is just a number of an amount. So if you think that being a blot on his career, being just a gimmick and a cheap TV show padded out, is overrating it, what do you think of it?

OK I realise that you are just trolling and I am just falling for it, but in the hope that you decide to have a go, how is it overrated and who by?
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else
    To keep to the topic I will add that I reckon The Omen is not much good, and I actually think that The Wicker Man is pretty bad and they are trying and failing miserably to label it as cult when it is just weak, unbelievable but with an ending that some find works well.