Options

Drinking a table spoon of olive oil and vitamin tablets

whohasmynameukwhohasmynameuk Posts: 782
Forum Member
✭✭
Evening all

I'm trying to be a bit more healthy and lose some weight (3 stone so far) with a calorie controlled "life style" change.

Ive been taking the vitamin tablets (centrum for men) for about 60 days now and wondered if I'm meant to feel any benefits or if they just work in the background?

The olive oil I haven't tried at all?

I have read various articles online both for and against for both and just wondered if anyone had any experience with either and is there any benefit to doing them?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take multivitamins and never notice any difference but that's not to say they're not helping, obviously more important if you don't have a balanced diet.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably don't need them. Most people don't. I suppose if your diet is very badly thought out there might be a need but that seems unlikely unless it's a starvation diet. If a diet specifies that you should eat multi-vitamins I would be very sceptical about it. Vitamin pills tend to be an expensive way to get nutrients. With the food available in this country there should be no need for any healthy person to take supplements.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't need to take vitamins unless you're on some kind of diet which means you can't eat a good variety of food...........vitamins shouldn't really affect your weight one way or the other

Olive oil ?.......what's that all about ?

I've never heard of anyone having olive oil for dieting........maybe for health reasons you'd have olive oil in cooking instead of lard or bacon fat

Did you mean cod liver oil ?

That has some health benefits if you're getting older like me........it does help keep aging joints a bit more supple, or at least I think it does as I don't suffer as much since I started taking it daily. I think a capsule a day is generally good for you (nobody drinks it neat from a bottle these days ........have it in a soluble capsule)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Apparently multivitamins are a good way to have an expensive piss.
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Olive oil ?.......what's that all about ?
    Some North African and Middle Eastern cultures have a shot of olive oil each day to help with ....erm..... comfortable movements.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the olive oil should be used as a substitute for other, less healthy, options and not taken like medicine (although I'm sure it wouldn't actually do any harm)? Coconut oil is also a "healthy oil". I use both, depending on what I'm cooking. As for the multi-vitamins; they're certainly not going to help you to lose weight. Unless you have a specific need for them, you shouldn't have to take them if your diet is well balanced.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the multi-vitamins; they're certainly not going to help you to lose weight. Unless you have a specific need for them, you shouldn't have to take them if your diet is well balanced.
    Plus supposedly the artificial chemical components in vitamin pills do not have the same benefit as those in food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There was a report yesterday that said calories need not be counted if you eat a healthy diet, specifically a mediterrean diet.

That includes olive oil and the doctor on the film recommended 4 tablespoons a day. Calorie counters won't like that.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fry my eggs in Cretan olive oil but I don't specifically drink the stuff!
    I eat local vegetables for the minerals - "horta" (weeds) when in season; otherwise broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, aubergine and others. Also lots of local honey, yoghurt and cheese.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There was a report yesterday that said calories need not be counted if you eat a healthy diet, specifically a mediterrean diet.

That includes olive oil and the doctor on the film recommended 4 tablespoons a day. Calorie counters won't like that.

Do you have a link to that?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Evening all

I'm trying to be a bit more healthy and lose some weight (3 stone so far) with a calorie controlled "life style" change.

Ive been taking the vitamin tablets (centrum for men) for about 60 days now and wondered if I'm meant to feel any benefits or if they just work in the background?

The olive oil I haven't tried at all?

I have read various articles online both for and against for both and just wondered if anyone had any experience with either and is there any benefit to doing them?

The standard vitamins are fine but why don't you just use the olive oil in cooking, salad dressings, etc? I add modest amounts of olive oil to curry and pasta sauces and soups too.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recent studies have shown that it is the vegetables in a Mediterranean diet that have the health giving benefits and not the olive oil.
    Imagine eating a cheeseburger and then a tablespoon of olive oil, it doesn't seem so healthily does it.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this business of "tablespoon of olive oil" is misleading. I'm sure it's only meant as a suggested amount to ingest every day. It doesn't literally mean "take it off a tablespoon". I've never heard of anyone taking it by the spoonful - it's food. Eat it.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recent studies have shown that it is the vegetables in a Mediterranean diet that have the health giving benefits and not the olive oil.
    Imagine eating a cheeseburger and then a tablespoon of olive oil, it doesn't seem so healthily does it.

Yes to eat more healthily eat more plants - excepting refined carbs - mainly vegetables but also pulses, seeds, nuts etc. Far better to get the fat from nuts and seeds than olive oil. Flax seeds are very good if you grind them up and mix in with your muesli.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this business of "tablespoon of olive oil" is misleading. I'm sure it's only meant as a suggested amount to ingest every day. It doesn't literally mean "take it off a tablespoon". I've never heard of anyone taking it by the spoonful - it's food. Eat it.
    As I mentioned earlier, some people in some cultures have a shot of it every day (or sip it as an accompniament with bread)
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a warning. Coconut oil and coconut milk is extremely high in polysaturated fat. Don't eat them, quite the contrary to what is said in this thread.

Obviously the OP is on a daft 'diet' and needs vitamin pills because the diet is so daft.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Just a warning. Coconut oil and coconut milk is extremely high in polysaturated fat. Don't eat them, quite the contrary to what is said in this thread.

They are high in saturated fat, I don't think there's such a thing as polysaturated. Eat them in moderation.