Spare Wii U Gamepad

dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had a look on Amazon and Play and they don't appear to be available. Are spare gamepad controllers for sale in shops? How much do they cost?

Comments

• misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cant buy them on there own.

In Japan you will be able to but not here yet.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't any games available that supports multiple pads yet is there? ... Obviously if the OP has broken it then I'd just take it back 2 the store ... Tell em it was smashed when ya opened the box lol. :D
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, actually I don't have a Wii U (yet..) but my niece is getting one for Xmas and she is like kryptonite to gadgets so I was just checking. The Wii remote was pretty pricey for a controller as it was but I'm expecting the Wii U gamepad will be over a ton.

I did think a second controller was needed for some multiplayer games but glad to hear that isn't the case yet.

If I understand it correctly those gamepads are going to be pretty nifty little gadgets down the line, allowing you to play games and watch video even when the TV is being used for something else. Am I right in understanding that you're not running the game on the gamepad, you're wirelessly streaming the video from the console, so instead of it being shown on the TV the output from the console is getting squirted to the gamepad held in your hand? Mind blown, if I've understood that correctly.

Toys used to be a lot simpler in my day. Kids today are... lucky little blighters.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dadioflex wrote: »
    No, actually I don't have a Wii U (yet..) but my niece is getting one for Xmas and she is like kryptonite to gadgets so I was just checking. The Wii remote was pretty pricey for a controller as it was but I'm expecting the Wii U gamepad will be over a ton.

I did think a second controller was needed for some multiplayer games but glad to hear that isn't the case yet.

If I understand it correctly those gamepads are going to be pretty nifty little gadgets down the line, allowing you to play games and watch video even when the TV is being used for something else. Am I right in understanding that you're not running the game on the gamepad, you're wirelessly streaming the video from the console, so instead of it being shown on the TV the output from the console is getting squirted to the gamepad held in your hand? Mind blown, if I've understood that correctly.

Toys used to be a lot simpler in my day. Kids today are... lucky little blighters.

Pretty much all multiplayer games just use the old Wii remote (or wii remote and nunchuk) for multiplayer (Just Dance 4 actually requires one for single player). Some Nintendoland games require the Wii remote plus ( or the motionplus add-on for the normal remote). As long as have one of those you'll be set for the majority of multiplayer games (there may be a few exceptions that'll use the Wii U pro-controller for multiplayer).

..and yes, the image is just streamed to the controller (which is amazing given the high image quality). I've found the signal can usually make it through one wall,ceiling or floor (though that may depend on the thickness of walls, other interfering signals).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dadioflex wrote: »

The pad is very difficult to break. Watch this droptest and you see the pad holds up very very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SIQpKh9ma88
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    The pad is very difficult to break. Watch this droptest and you see the pad holds up very very well.

But it didn't show if it still worked properly after :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Makes me cringe when I see stuff like this!!!! :cry:
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so whats the pro controller for?????????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's for people who prefer to play games on a proper joypad instead of the gamepad or the wii motion controller. ;)
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The "hardcore" COD-playing crowd that can only cope with using a traditional joypad.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Future games will be compatible with more than one Wii U pad & Nintendo will release a firmware update to allow more than one pad to be synced to the Wii U at a time because at the moment if you try to sync 2, one of them turns off.

I think they're not on sale just now as some people who aren't fully clued up would buy an extra pad, thinking it's required, only to be left penniless & pissed that it won't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    The "hardcore" COD-playing crowd that can only cope with using a traditional joypad.

imo some games are better suited to using a traditional joypad .... personally im glad nintendo have given people a choice. :)

@OMTT ... i think you've pretty much summed it up! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Future games will be compatible with more than one Wii U pad & Nintendo will release a firmware update to allow more than one pad to be synced to the Wii U at a time because at the moment if you try to sync 2, one of them turns off.

I think they're not on sale just now as some people who aren't fully clued up would buy an extra pad, thinking it's required, only to be left penniless & pissed that it won't work.

Nintendo have not done a good enough job letting people know this is a new console and not a Wii add on. Selling the pads separately would of been a nightmare as people would of bought the game pad and then tried using it with the Wii.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo have not done a good enough job letting people know this is a new console and not a Wii add on. Selling the pads separately would of been a nightmare as people would of bought the game pad and then tried using it with the Wii.

surely no body is THAT stupid..???

?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

?

Believe me there are. When the 3ds launched there were people buying games and trying to use them on the ds
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member

?

Sadly it's true. The amount of customers who ask why Nintendo are charinging £300 for the Wii and some new accessory.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

?

I'd pretty much garuante that there would be some that would buy only to be left disappointed and confused as to why it wasn't syncing with their Wii.
    I've seen one person ask if it was basically just like a DS, but plays Wii games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bet these are the same headbangers who'd buy ps3 games & wonder why they dont work on their ps2. lol /facepalm :D
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

?

Have you seen the Amazon UK reviews for Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask on 3DS? 17 one star reviews. All of them simply because the game doesn't work on their DS. (I wish I was making this up.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004JHY40C/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    Have you seen the Amazon UK reviews for Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask on 3DS? 17 one star reviews. All of them simply because the game doesn't work on their DS. (I wish I was making this up.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004JHY40C/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

people are retards but I think nintendo's marketing campaign for the 3ds and now wii u isnt clear enough letting people know they were complete new consoles.

With the next handheld I would go back the gameboy brand and I would of called the Wii U Wii 2 or Super Wii.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit harsh to call people retards. You could be a brain surgeon with little interest in gaming buying a present for a grand-child and very easily miss the extra "3" on the packaging. 3DS and DS games look pretty similar otherwise.

Similarly, most console naming is fairly obtuse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.very.co.uk/nintendo-wii-u-gamepad---white/1188488606.prd?browseToken=%2fq%2fwii+u+gamepad

Very are selling them on there own for £89.00
    Useful info:

6.2 inch touch screen (854 x 480)
    Regular button layout on the edges
    1.3 megapixel front-facing camera with mic
    Stereo speakers
    NFC and Bluetooth
    Stylus support
    Compatible with the Nintendo 3DS as a controller
    Wii U GamePad - White

How are they actually selling this on there own. Did they get a shipment and unpack them thinking the consoles were wii's?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.very.co.uk/nintendo-wii-u-gamepad---white/1188488606.prd?browseToken=%2fq%2fwii+u+gamepad

Very are selling them on there own for £89.00

How are they actually selling this on there own. Did they get a shipment and unpack them thinking the consoles were wii's?

if you could sync and use 2 pads, i would buy one straight away
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the manual you get with the Wii U, it says the only way to get a new gamepad is to contact Nintendo directly - and it gave an address (as well as stating they will be available in the future).

Very is out of stock - has anyone ever seen them in stock? A lot of e-retailers have the sale pages up for products that are not available yet/without a release date but they always state out of stock.