Trivial things that annoy you intensely.

Comments

• jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    People on quiz shows who applaud themselves when they get a question correct.

There was one on Catchphrase yesterday, she was like a f__g seal. I had to leave the room (the wife wanted to watch it).
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    The change from Hotmail to Outlook. I barely look at my emails anymore because of it.

To cater for the Windows 8 generation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    outwith I just find meaningless.

Yeah, it's mainly a Scottish thing so that might be why you're not used to it. I use it quite a lot actually, basically just means outside but more in a categorical sense than a prepositional one.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    People on quiz shows who applaud themselves when they get a question correct.

There was one on Catchphrase yesterday, she was like a f__g seal. I had to leave the room (the wife wanted to watch it).

This has annoyed, and puzzled me for many a year. I feel your pain!
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't, because I move over to the middle to prevent this!

This is something that annoys me.
    People who don't stay in their lane either on entry to a roundabout or going around it.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The cleaner at my workplace is doing my head in at the moment. Instead of emptying the bins in our office, they are taking the stuff out and putting it in little piles on our desks!

They are gone when we get in so we can't tell them to stop doing it but have left notes which, the next morning are on top of the piles!
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who over-beep their car horn.

If you've just pulled up outside your friends house and you want to let them know you are outside then one or two friendly little parps is all you need. You don't need to translate the entire text of Don Quixote into Morse code and beep it out for them. You score even more twunt points if you start beeping about five doors before arriving at your target house.
  • owlie81owlie81 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    alycidon wrote: »
    Yes, it's because everyone has to fit into a stereotype - and woe betide you if you don't. People who don't have TV, for instance - always being hounded, because - everyone has a TV, don't they. And it's the same with mobile phones - everyone's got one. Well, no they haven't!:cry:

Funny thing is that when mobiles really increased in popularity the reverse happened. Companies wouldn't want to take a mobile number but instead would insist on a 'proper landline number'.
  • owlie81owlie81 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Oh and another one....when you exchange something in a shop and they want your name, address and phone number - why??
    (I'm probably missing something)

In reality you could say anything couldn't you?
  • clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedestrians who step out into the road forcing cars to slow down or stop.

On a crossing this would be fine, but I see this happening on any bit of road. Even when they have seen a car they saunter across the road as if they have all the time in the world.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pedestrians who step out into the road forcing cars to slow down or stop.

On a crossing this would be fine, but I see this happening on any bit of road. Even when they have seen a car they saunter across the road as if they have all the time in the world.

This kind of thing happens more and more recently.
    It's bad enough they step into the road when there's clearly a car coming, but then they don't even make any effort to hurry along, just assume that you'll be able to brake in time.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the fact i've just missed a rehearsal at uni, because for the first time ever, I was doing an essay that really interested me, so wasn't clockwatching, and am now an hour late for the hour and a half rehearsal, and there's obviously no point in going, because it's a 20 minute walk there and then 5 minutes to get myself set up!
  • peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm probably jealous cos my hair is neither thick nor long, but I really, REALLY hate buns on young women (the style that that ex-Corrie Helen airhead is always sporting).
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    Website visitor survey so they can improve the "user experience". Had four of them today.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably jealous cos my hair is neither thick nor long, but I really, REALLY hate buns on young women (the style that that ex-Corrie Helen airhead is always sporting).

Oh they are AWFUL and those beehive things
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owlie81 wrote: »
    Oh and another one....when you exchange something in a shop and they want your name, address and phone number - why??
    (I'm probably missing something)

In reality you could say anything couldn't you?

This is something to do with establishing that they are conducting legitimate refunds for when the accountants or higher ups scrutinise and analyse their records and receipts. Others can probably explain it better, but I seem to recall it being something along those lines.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "10 items or LESS" sign at the checkout.

The bit on the menu in the staff canteen which says "egg and cheese omelet"

People misusing the word "literally". It drives me figuratively insane!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    The "10 items or LESS" sign at the checkout.

The bit on the menu in the staff canteen which says "egg and cheese omelet"

People misusing the word "literally". It drives me figuratively insane!

I don't know if I've said this before (this thread has been going a while!) but I hate the misuse of 'literally', too. It annoys me as much as 'basically'. I can't stand people who start whatever little tale they're about to tell with 'basically'. I tend to zone out after that.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I don't know if I've said this before (this thread has been going a while!) but I hate the misuse of 'literally', too. It annoys me as much as 'basically'. I can't stand people who start whatever little tale they're about to tell with 'basically'. I tend to zone out after that.

The worst offender for these two at work came out with a corker today:

"The two desks are both identical"

BOTH identical? Not just one of them, then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    The worst offender for these two at work came out with a corker today:

"The two desks are both identical"

BOTH identical? Not just one of them, then?

To what were both of them identical? ;) :mad:
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you're having a shower and the shower curtain sucks in and 'sticks' to you

:mad:
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I had a wallet full of 5p and 10p coins that I'd received in change from one self-service till.
    I've tried to spend them in three self-service tills but they were rejected. As far as I can see the only difference between these coins and any others, is that these are uncirculated - ie. were unused when placed in the original till. Surely these would be the ideal coins for an automatic system to recognise? I left without purchasing - I wasn't about to put a higher value coin in to receive more wallet-busting shrapnel.

Those electronic speed-limit signs that are only supposed to light up if you are exceeding the posted limit. I've given up trying to satisfy the one on my commute, as it lights if I'm doing a steady GPS-measured 29-30mph.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who believe everything they read, for instance the great big massive spider the size of half a house that took 10 bullets to kill or the entering your pin number bckwards at an ATM alerts the Police. You have a brain, you work, you managed t get yourself dressed in the morning, please use said brain just to think for a second.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People starting a sentence with the word obviously...sorry if this has been mentioned before. Obviously I didnt read the whole thread :)
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    Those electronic speed-limit signs that are only supposed to light up if you are exceeding the posted limit. I've given up trying to satisfy the one on my commute, as it lights if I'm doing a steady GPS-measured 29-30mph.

Yes, there are several around here that say SLOW DOWN and flash 30, but they do it even when I pass them below 30.
    And councils who think the answer to everything is to reduce the speed limits. There's a B-road around here that runs right from one town to the next, and some clever s*d has bunged a 20 (yes, TWENTY) limit on it. It's not a narrow, winding road and the pavements on both sides are wide, but 20 is the answer.Ludicrous.
This discussion has been closed.