Water Bills - Do you pay yours?

Comments

• TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not paid mine since I've been in the flat I'm in however there is reasons other than I just don't want to pay.

Firstly when I rented the property I was told and it was in the paperwork that the water rates were included with my rent the landlord has then tried to backtrack on that so that has been getting pursued not helped by the fact he has changed letting agents halfway through things and they are worse than useless at the best of times.

Secondly when I did get the bill in it was for triple the amount for the size of property I'm in at the moment and looks like I am being charged for water for the entire building instead of just the one flat. Got in touch with the water company to investigate and they keep messing about and not replying to enquiries so pretty much given up on it for now. I get the odd reminder letter once in a while but they don't seem to actively pursue the matter and as I say I refuse to pay for other peoples as well as my own and technically the lease I signed means I shouldn't be paying in the first place.
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may not cut you off, but after a few years the amount will be at a level that they would probably go for a CCJ against you, then bailiffs to retrieve the outstanding and your credit rating low due to the CCJ.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    posh1 wrote: »
    Ok then listen.

Nobody can cut your water supply off.

Ok with that so far?:)

But if you dont have any money for food, you cant just go to the shop and take it without paying for it claiming that its a basic human right, because you will get locked up.

Ok with that?:)

That's not what I was said what I was saying is that those are also human rights -
    http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a25

And also, it is possible to have your water supply cut off

and stop being so bluddy patronising
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    They may not cut you off, but after a few years the amount will be at a level that they would probably go for a CCJ against you, then bailiffs to retrieve the outstanding and your credit rating low due to the CCJ.

I was about to post something similar.

Even if they can't cut you off they can tarnish your credit rating very easily and choose to persue you in the courts if they wish.
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours goes through my husbands wage, and the rent/coucil tax/fuel/light etc is taken before his pay hits the bank
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears that our water rates are included in the rent for this flat.
  • posh1posh1 Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »

And also, it is possible to have your water supply cut off

They are not allowed to cut you off. Water is a basic human right.
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay the bill off in one go..what annoys me is ..they put restrictions on the use of water...Hose pipe ban...dont water the garden ETC..but they dont give you a discount
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Wtf!? I've never heard of people not paying their bill, and I'd have thought they'd get chased up! Is this true then, lots of people actually get away with not paying!?
    My neighbour has had numerous warnings, even threatened with a bailiff appearance but it hasn't stopped her.

That said, another person I know when questioned about not paying the bills used the excuse that she was a single mother on income support.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellarooo wrote: »
    Ours goes through my husbands wage, and the rent/coucil tax/fuel/light etc is taken before his pay hits the bank

Sounds familiar.... ;)
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My neighbour has had numerous warnings, even threatened with a bailiff appearance but it hasn't stopped her.

That said, another person I know when questioned about not paying the bills used the excuse that she was a single mother on income support.

Then the money could or would be taken out of her benefits ;)
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate never pays her water as she says thay they can't cut you off if you have a child under 5. Actually know 3 ppl who don't pay. When one got caught up with the judge said he had to pay 5 pounds a week back. My dad didn't pay years ago and they cut out hot water off. I always pay mine. Bloody rip of at 49 quid . Stupid that they do it on your house valuation.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £12 a month i pay, i got a water meter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Then the money could or would be taken out of her benefits ;)

Certainly. Once a CCJ has been actioned they can contact employers or the DWP to take the money direct from salary/benefits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly. Once a CCJ has been actioned they can contact employers or the DWP to take the money direct from salary/benefits.

An attachment of earnings arising from a county court judgment cannot deduct money from any benefits or state
    pension.

If you have a magistrates’ court fine money can be taken from benefits.
  • Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay by direct debit. Have never thought not too really. It's not as if it's one of the pricier bills.

Still, if people don't want to pay, let em. Just means my bill will be higher..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    An attachment of earnings arising from a county court judgment cannot deduct money from any benefits or state pension

Depends on the benefit, Income Support and JSA can be deducted, it's called attachment of benefit order.
  • smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Bailiffs can be nasty so i pay mine
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay in monthly installments Missed a few payments in the past due to stuff and got chased for it , but Southern water were pretty good and sorted out a new re payment plan
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An attachment of earnings arising from a county court judgment cannot deduct money from any benefits or state
    pension.

If you have a magistrates’ court fine money can be taken from benefits.

A judge can order an examination of income/expenditure to be made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    A judge can order an examination of income/expenditure to be made.

An attachment of benefit order.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the benefit, Income Support and JSA can be deducted, it's called attachment of benefit order.

They would need to apply to the DWP, and it may get turned down (depending on individual circumstances), whereas if employeed as long as it doesn't take the employee below the protected earnings threshold there is no weaseling out of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would need to apply to the DWP, and it may get turned down (depending on individual circumstances), whereas if employeed as long as it doesn't take the employee below the protected earnings threshold there is no weaseling out of.

They would get turned down if they are already paying outstanding government debts, such as paying back a social fund loan. It would just be added on after the social fund loan has been paid back.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is far too high, but Thames Water can not fit a meter to my property. It's £370 a year for a one bed flat. I am not even there most of the bloody time.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is far too high, but Thames Water can not fit a meter to my property. It's £370 a year for a one bed flat. I am not even there most of the bloody time.

:eek::confused: This sounds too high

If a meter cannot be fitted I know that they are obliged to manually assess how much water you probably use and bill you accordingly (if you ask to have it formally reviewed).

I live in a one bedroom house and the bill I received the other day from Thames Water is £198 for the year.