Tablet for a 6 year old girl?

2»

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I don't think the original iPad is getting the iOS 6 update due to only having 256MB RAM.

even worse then .... i didnt think Apple did fragmentation :p

(but thats a whole different thread !)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    even worse then .... i didnt think Apple did fragmentation :p

(but thats a whole different thread !)

Sadly all manufacturers need to drop support at some point but the original iPad was only out 2 and a half years ago which for me is a bit soon to drop "official" support.

Android is often even worse than this of coarse if you don't stick to Nexus devices (as google supports these).

I would be just as shocked if in 2 and a half years time official support for the Nexus 7 is dropped but I doubt that tbh as the hardware is very future proof.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The experts are iFixiit even burst open the battery because the whole chassis design etc was fused industrial strength glue.

It was this retina MBP that was in conflict with EPEATs original guideline intentions. It has plenty of soldered in Ram. Obviously it cant fall out but its a common failure point too so plugging in replacement has always been good design.

That doesn't sound good :eek: I don't see what all the fuss is with the rMBP anyway. Apart from the sharper screen what does it offer that the normal MBPs don't?
    Why anyone would spend similar money on a used iPad 1 amazes me ???? Second hand, battery likely to die and no longer supported with software updates (yes I know they will get iOS updates but fewer and fewer features will be enabled).

Would the issue of software/iOS updates really be important to a 6 year old though?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Would the issue of software/iOS updates really be important to a 6 year old though?

True ...... but its still a lot of money for an old unit. And you'd be surprised how early these things can be noticed....

"My Friend [instert names]s iPad does [insert brand new ipad feature that most things have done for years] why doesnt mine ?"

:p
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was recently looking for our 5 & 6 year olds. Storage options do some fairy decent mid range tablets loaded with ICS for around £99. Although we are opting for the nexus for them both.

In response to the whole age thing. I would rather they have something which they can use that isn't just game based like a PS3 or 3DS . They already use the internet at school to play on certain sites. With the tablets they will be able to visit the sites and make use of some of the educational apps that are around they already use on my phone. (Which they have no problem operating now so I know a tablet will be fine for them)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Times are changing..... would you quiz the poster if they had suggested getting their 6 year old a PS3 or a Wii ?

The original query was regarding buying something better than a leap pad ..... id have thought a small tablet would be quite a sensible option. Kids are growing up more techie these days and a tablet is a good thing to start on.

I do know what your saying, but I would have thought the use of a computer and/or the use of a parents tablet computer would be enough at that age.

I'm not quizzing the OP, but I know what you mean. I wouldn't have found it unusual if they were considering a Wii, because a lot (most?) of the Wii games are age appropriate as far as I know. A PS3? I'm not so sure.

I suppose I should mention that I don't see the appeal in tablet computers very much in general.

:)
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ten year old has one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easypad-Junior-4-0-Children-Rockchip/dp/B0081ZSUWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343223004&sr=8-1

It comes with preloaded software which means if he wants to download anything I have to check it and put in a PIN. There is a child in his class who ran up over £200 on his parent's credit card buying and downloading apps. They only found out when Barclaycard rang them due to the multiple entries on the card. It seems to be fairly robust as well, he dropped it getting out of the car the other day and I thought that would be the end of it, but no it was OK.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    My ten year old has one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easypad-Junior-4-0-Children-Rockchip/dp/B0081ZSUWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343223004&sr=8-1

It comes with preloaded software which means if he wants to download anything I have to check it and put in a PIN. There is a child in his class who ran up over £200 on his parent's credit card buying and downloading apps. They only found out when Barclaycard rang them due to the multiple entries on the card. It seems to be fairly robust as well, he dropped it getting out of the car the other day and I thought that would be the end of it, but no it was OK.

do poeple realise that you can PIN protect google play accounts so that every transaction has to be authorised ?

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/prevent-people-buying-apps-filter-purchase-android/
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    ^^^ This.

I don't even remember being 6!

I remember my 6th birthday. I got a Timex watch. No tablets in those days.

Children are spoiled these days.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I remember my 6th birthday. I got a Timex watch. No tablets in those days.

Children are spoiled these days.

A Timex watch? For your 6th birthday? How posh are you!

I got nowt but a lump of coal and an orange! LOL