Ron McIntosh - BBC Boxing Commentator

ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
I never liked this guy when he used to do the athletics coverage, it never felt like he fitted in. His knowledge of field events kinda fell short in my opinion.

However! I think he's been absolutely cracking at the boxing at these Games! Genuinely sounds like he's into it and he knows what he's talking about. Really made the boxing good to watch at these Games. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to feel like every second of the broadcast should be filled with his voice. Less is more.
  • klunkklunk Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP, he's been one of the best commentators in the Olympic coverage. Better than the established boxing commentator, that Northern Irish guy, who always seems slightly bitter. He has a nice turn of phrase and seems to call a fight well.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like him and enjoy his commentaries. He did a great job on the Nicola Adams and Katie Taylor gold medal fights :)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    mtj wrote: »
    He seems to feel like every second of the broadcast should be filled with his voice. Less is more.

This^^ x10.
    Geezers a C*** and needs to stop yammering, first minute of the round taken up with his background information.
    Doesn't matter what's happening in the ring he just carries on until he's finished his yammering.

He's F'ed the Boxing for me.
  • Wayne_DanielsWayne_Daniels Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He talks too much,hes great for radio but annoying for t.v
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not from the Dan Maskell school of commentating then :o
  • HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAhahahaha. The posters above are clearly taking the p!ss. This guy is a very very irritating knob. He spouts pre-prepared cliches in a ridiculously dramatic tone for so long that he forgets he is actually watching a fight. Possibly the least competent commentator ever. He must be removed, for his own good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAhahahaha. The posters above are clearly taking the p!ss. This guy is a very very irritating knob. He spouts pre-prepared cliches in a ridiculously dramatic tone for so long that he forgets he is actually watching a fight. Possibly the least competent commentator ever. He must be removed, for his own good.

Worse than John Motson, wow how low can you go :confused:
  • klunkklunk Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zxcvbnmasdfghjkdefgh
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

If he indulges in the same background info yammering while the bouts on, on Radio surely he'd get chased up a tree.

Ahhh, he's a bleedin irrit, the fella.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lots of commentators in all sports read out stats and facts and figures during commentary. I'm a bit surprised there is so much dislike for Ron on DS....I've heard quite a few posters have a go at him this week, but I like the guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Lots of commentators in all sports read out stats and facts and figures during commentary. I'm a bit surprised there is so much dislike for Ron on DS....I've heard quite a few posters have a go at him this week, but I like the guy.

The word 'stats' should usually be preceeded by the word 'meaningless' because most of them are as a rule :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word 'stats' should usually be preceeded by the word 'meaningless' because most of them are as a rule :D

But every TV commentator does it : football, rugby, golf, Olympics, you name it :)
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Ron is one of the nicest people you could wish to meet, so it kind of saddens me when people say bad things about him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Ron is one of the nicest people you could wish to meet, so it kind of saddens me when people say bad things about him.

I'm sure that he is lovely. Lots of people are. It's just that he is a genuinely sh1te and embarrassing commentator and certainly should not be doing it on national television.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. He seems overly descriptive. Radio commentary on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But every TV commentator does it : football, rugby, golf, Olympics, you name it :)

Yes and it should be stopped - 97% of pollsters said so :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He strikes me as a nice man, and I'm ignoring the criticism of him because I enjoy his commentaries.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that he is lovely. Lots of people are. It's just that he is a genuinely sh1te and embarrassing commentator and certainly should not be doing it on national television.

Oh there's definitely better commentators, I think he's better served for radio, because he does tend to get a bit "flowery" with language on TV. He does know what he's on about, though, and there aren't many who know as much about boxing as him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He strikes me as a nice man, and I'm ignoring the criticism of him because I enjoy his commentaries.

He strikes me as an abysmal commentator and I'm ignoring comments about him being a nice man because that has no relevance at all to his skills at commentary.
  • Billy BunterBilly Bunter Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I was genuinely astounded when I opened the thread to see it had been created to praise Ron. I've found him to be appalling on every sport he's ever commentated on.

Its clear he's done his research, but I do not need to hear the results of the 2011 World Champs ("in Baku, Azerbaijan") after every decent punch!

Probably at his most annoying when he talked over the amazing atmosphere following the gold medal wins for Nicola Adams and Katie Taylor with his boring facts and figures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was genuinely astounded when I opened the thread to see it had been created to praise Ron. I've found him to be appalling on every sport he's ever commentated on.

Its clear he's done his research, but I do not need to hear the results of the 2011 World Champs ("in Baku, Azerbaijan") after every decent punch!

Probably at his most annoying when he talked over the amazing atmosphere following the gold medal wins for Nicola Adams and Katie Taylor with his boring facts and figures.

Agreed. I am sure that they were trying to be ironic.
  • SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see he has turned up on ITV's Boxing coverage this evening.
  • Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

You hit it dead on !
    This numpty completely ruined the Groves Eubank fight last night for us . Guys were distracted by his incessant, inane ramblings and were shouting and swearing at the tv !!

If he's ever commenting again we simply won't pay for the fight ..