Options

Germany want Holocaust denial and Nazi symbols criminalised across Europe.

cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As if the assault on free speech and protest isn't enough it seems that the Germans who have just started a six-month presidency are joining in by

http://www.guardian.co.uk/farright/story/0,,1991298,00.html

Also from the piece;

This German presidency worries me. Germany also wishes to expand Europol power by sharing of DNA, fingerprinting and car registration information among the 27 countries of the EU. Merkel also wishes to revive the EU constitution.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Well Adolf Hitler believed in denying his opponents 'the oxygen of publicity'. Fairly disturbing that the neo-Nazis might be eligible for EU money(our money in other words).If 'freedom of speech' is about the right to preach hate,bring on the 'police state'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holocaust denial should be a crime, only Idiots would commit it anyway, its like denying Gravity, or say evolution :rolleyes: , but we don't let those things be taught in schools now do we.

Millions of people (I'm not going to argue over numbers) died and suffered horribly in the Holocaust, any one who denies it probably needs their head looking at to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bapak wrote:
    Well Adolf Hitler believed in denying his opponents 'the oxygen of publicity'. Fairly disturbing that the neo-Nazis might be eligible for EU money(our money in other words).If 'freedom of speech' is about the right to preach hate,bring on the 'police state'.

Are you of the "I agree with free speech as long it agrees with me" school of thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holocaust denial should be a crime...

...any one who denies it probably needs their head looking at to be honest.

And given a criminal record? and thrown in jail?

If so why limit it what about those who deny genocide in Rawanda, Darfur or those who deny Slavery?
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Would this affect films and games featuring Nazi symbols? I know Germany has been quite strict about these in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote:
    And given a criminal record? and thrown in jail?

If so why limit it what about those who deny genocide in Rawanda, Darfur or those who deny Slavery?

Surely anyone who has such strong disbelief in the Holocaust, must have some other motive... anti-semitism perhaps? A Neo-Nazi?

Rwanda, Dafur all genocides, maybe we should, would you really want to work with someone so stupid? Someone who denied the facts of the deaths of countless numbers of people purely due to their race? Why on Earth would they believe that, there must be something evil inside of them to make them believe that.

The point of slavery is much more difficult, this is simply because it is much harder to say when exactly slavery occured, and when it didn't, it is still going on today in one form or another.

Or did you mean purely the Slavery of Africans in cotton fields in the Americas? In which case don't forget we were sold those slaves by Native Africans, those slaves would have probably been slaves whether we bought them or not. I think we should focus more on the abolition of Slavery than going down the Tony Blair route and taking the blame for Slavery, despite leading the way in its abolition, and the fact that I personally had nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely anyone who has such strong disbelief in the Holocaust, must have some other motive... anti-semitism perhaps? A Neo-Nazi?

I dont support turning people into criminals just for having a particular opinion.
    Someone who denied the facts of the deaths of countless numbers of people purely due to their race? Why on Earth would they believe that, there must be something evil inside of them to make them believe that.

Combatting holocaust denial is the business of historians and journalists. It is not the business of governments/courts/police.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is only one thing that worries me , of course we should not allow people to preach hate and encite racial hatred, but the day we stop people having an opinion is the day we are prevented from knowing what that person is really about , and I would to a certain extent rather hear something I did not like but be able to make an informed opinion about that person than have it it hidden and not know what that person was hiding beneath what could otherwise appear to be a great personality , in public anyway.
  • Options
    natsuki*headnatsuki*head Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You either have free speech or you don't, you can't pick and choose just because someone's free speech happens to be s**t.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    I don't agree with banning symbols. Don't forget, the swastika is an ancient sign used thousands of years before the Nazis.
  • Options
    ember1ember1 Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't think of anything more totalitarian than criminalising denial speeches and the usage of symbols.

A law like this would probably incriminate every publisher of WW2 literature, WW2 games and make David Irving a global martyr outside Europe. It would prevent swastika usage on protest banners in rallies.
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    You either have free speech or you don't, you can't pick and choose just because someone's free speech happens to be s**t.
    Totally agree. Free speech is the bedrock of democracy if they start taking it away then we're in big trouble. Having a different view on history to someone else should not be a crime.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    cribology wrote:
    I dont support turning people into criminals just for having a particular opinion.

Is holocaust denial an opinion now? I thought it was simply the intentional denial of an established fact for political gain and hatred...
  • Options
    p-51dp-51d Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So someone making a aifix model of a ME-109 would be a criminal if they put the swastika on the tail, let's get out of this EU nut house now.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit futile to try and ban this sort of thing. Besides, the swastika symbol wasn't just used by the Nazis. This law would need so many exclusions on it that it would be worthless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    p-51d wrote:
    So someone making a aifix model of a ME-109 would be a criminal if they put the swastika on the tail, let's get out of this EU nut house now.

Once in court the judge will suddently announce... "hold on.. making a model is nothing to do with holocaust denial... case dismissed"... criminal charges will follow for wasting the courts time and an inquest into how someone was arrested in the context of a model plane will begin... and why every copy of The Sound of Music has been impounded when someone will realise the law was actually about neo nazis strutting about spreading their poison...
  • Options
    crumbscrumbs Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the world coming to?

So what if people want to deny something? How on earth can that be a crime? Why should the law tell people what they can and cannot believe?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    cpu121 wrote:
    I know Germany has been quite strict about these in the past.

Germany and Austria are incredibly strict about Nazi symbols and language. It's banned in both countries and they have good reasons for this due to fairly recent history and the growing rise of neo-Nazi organizations in both countries. I appreciate and sympathise completely with both countries and why they have these laws.

However a Europe wide ban is something i would hate to see, the extreme right would use this for their own gain while any good it might have would be diffused instantly.

Free speech isn't a right, we have to work for it and earn it. Sometimes that means listening to opinions which are vile. Fortunately free speech means those opinions can also be shown to be as disgusting as they are.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Mesostim wrote:
    Is holocaust denial an opinion now? I thought it was simply the intentional denial of an established fact for political gain and hatred...

Then if it's an established fact, as you and I would agree, then why would it need enforcing via the law? If it's a fact, then it'll speak for itself, law or not. Let the idiots have their say, for it allows us to mock them and dissuade others from following their footsteps. Once you ban such opinions/idiocies, you only give those who hold such beliefs martyr status and fuel claims that there must be something to hide by governments or the so-called world Jewish conspiracy, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote:
    Then if it's an established fact, as you and I would agree, then why would it need enforcing via the law?

Because some people feel they should be free to repeat what they know to be a lie in order to promote racial and religious hatred... I don;t find that particuarly important in a democracy... in fact it seems to be against the principles of freedom to support a group and an ideal that came close to crushing it...
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Mesostim wrote:
    Because some people feel they should be free to repeat what they know to be a lie in order to promote racial and religious hatred... I don;t find that particuarly important in a democracy... in fact it seems to be against the principles of freedom to support a group and an ideal that came close to crushing it...

Yet if you ban them from expressing such an opinion, then surely idiots will see this as some conspiracy and fuel support for such idiocies. You know, conspiracy theories can spread whether supported by the mainstream or not, and all banning such opinions will do is add such things. In fact, Holocaust denial isn't really necessary to promote racial and religious hatred (you only need to look at the Politics part of DS to know that ;) ), so why create the conditions to elevate it beyond its current relative importance (in the general scale of things here, Holocaust denial isn't too big a thing in the UK) and make it a more prominent issue for the stupid and gullible to gather under?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote:

Combatting holocaust denial is the business of historians and journalists. It is not the business of governments/courts/police.

Its not the business of Governments to teach our Children? Its not the business of Government to stop anti-semitsm?

Freedom of Speech and Belief means you can believe in whatever God(/s) you want, and yell to world about it. But not to go around saying that the Jews are a bunch of liars and countless Jews were not really slaughtered by Hitler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Its not the business of Governments to teach our Children? Its not the business of Government to stop anti-semitsm?

Freedom of Speech and Belief means you can believe in whatever God(/s) you want, and yell to world about it. But not to go around saying that the Jews are a bunch of liars and countless Jews were not really slaughtered by Hitler.

thats exactly what freedom of speech is, to me at least.
    I dont ever take anything as truth just because authority tells me it is so...the only way i come to my truth, is by looking at the evidence, on both side, and making up my own mind.
    Do you really believe everything you have been taught in school was truth?
    There are numerous examples of "historical fact" that have later been found to be highly questionable.
    Quite apart from anything, the nutter theorists give a reason for debate and research...and that is the only way we can ever arrive at Truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the business of Governments to teach our Children?

Dont you want your children to question what they are taught? Do you want them to blindly accept everything teacher tells them. Teaching is one thing, putting people in jail for not accepting that view is another thing entirely.

Its not the business of Government to stop anti-semitsm?

Do you think this will stop anti-smitism? I dont.

You want to forcibly impose your definition of Freedom of Speech on everyone else. Do you support the Turkish authorities banning anyone in Turkey suggesting that Armenians historically suffered Genocide in Turkey?
  • Options
    crumbscrumbs Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not?

Shouldn't people be allowed to say what they want? If you believe something happened and was of a particular order of magnitude and I believed that it was of a far lower order of magnitude then why should I become a criminal for what I believe?

I believe a holocaust is being committed by the Jews against the Palestinian people? Should anyone that disagrees with me be put in prison?