Options

Is the humour in EE reflected in the humour of the people who watch it

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I've never found Eastenders even remotely funny. They try, sometimes too hard, but it just never amuses me. In fact, I usually just find it quite cringe worthy. When I think back to the EE comedy characters I'm reminded of Minty/Gary, Heather/Shirley and Alfie (buying condoms :rolleyes:)...they're just not funny characters in my eyes.

The only time I am genuinely amused by Eastenders is when Ian, or someone similar, says a cutting remark. But when they actually try to do comedy, it falls flat in my opinion.

Corrie, on the other hand, I've always managed to laugh at.
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, all the EE characters you've mentioned were/are intended to be slapstick funny, they certainly wouldn't win any awards for comedy though and are perhaps not remotely adept at making the more clever members of the nation laugh! Some of the cackling out loud ("COL""??!) scenes that used to go on in the Slaters household between Kat, Mo, Little Mo, Lynn and Stacey were also in the highly cringeworthy category. Maybe certain women would've found some of the things they used to laugh over (usually when they were all together in the kitchen) funny but I for one didn't!
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders tries too hard to be funny. Kim calling Janine 'Janice' was maybe funny when she first said it, but then the joke started to wear thin when she kept doing it. The humour is really obvious and contrived.

I think the likes of Coronation Street and Emmerdale are more humorous as both soaps don't take themselves too seriously. Some of the plots and the way the actors play the characters are unintentionally funny and it can provide a good half an hour of entertainment. They can do serious plots at times, but this is perfectly balanced by some dodgy acting and some ridiculous plotlines that involve plenty of black humour and dramatic irony.

EastEnders takes itself too seriously and when it tries not too, it's obvious that the show is trying to be comical. EastEnders is good at the big drama though.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Yes very much so, I find Corrie humour cheap and patronising, very obvious. EE humour is much more sublte and clever.

I don't understand what you mean when you call Corrie's humour 'cheap and patronising'. If you don't find it funny then that's absolutely fair enough, but why or how is it 'cheap and patronising'? :confused:

To be honest I don't think viewers look to EastEnders for its humour nor is that what its best remembered for. Often Corrie's best moments that are cited tend to be the more comedic and humourous (the AA meeting with the Barlows was voted Corrie's best ever moment in 2010 for example), whilst EE's best moments are often regarded as being the more dramatic points of the show.

That's not say I don't think Corrie doesn't do drama very well, as I think over the past couple of years they've proved that they absolutely do, it's just they interweave those light and dark moments together much better than EastEnders, and it does take a certain skill to do it well. Mostly I think Corrie get it bang on but sometimes they have been guilty of straying too far towards slapstick style comedy which never works very well.

On occasion I do think EE's scripts have been genuinely funny, it just really depends on the writer and the context. Comedy 'scenarios' are rarely funny but there are characters who often get some brilliant lines like Janine and Kim for example.

Ultimately though different things appeal to different people. Humour, as with many things, is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poision.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    EastEnders tries too hard to be funny. Kim calling Janine 'Janice' was maybe funny when she first said it, but then the joke started to wear thin when she kept doing it. The humour is really obvious and contrived.

I think the likes of Coronation Street and Emmerdale are more humorous as both soaps don't take themselves too seriously. Some of the plots and the way the actors play the characters are unintentionally funny and it can provide a good half an hour of entertainment. They can do serious plots at times, but this is perfectly balanced by some dodgy acting and some ridiculous plotlines that involve plenty of black humour and dramatic irony.

EastEnders takes itself too seriously and when it tries not too, it's obvious that the show is trying to be comical. EastEnders is good at the big drama though.
    I don't agree. EastEnders can do Humour quite well and has proved that in the past. Alot of Franks One-Liners are still remembered but scenes like Pat and Peggy in the Ice cream van. Sal's Rant at the Mitchells During the Dinner party,Kim's CCTV in the Minute Mart & Denise/Zainabs Insults to one another were funny.
    Dot is another Character that can provide alot of Humour scenes but i think EastEnders is stronger at one-liners and for me thats more than enough.

I stopped watching Emmerdale because it went All 'Panto Comedy' (My Opinion of course)

I don't really rate the Humour in Corrie all that much either and whille i've heard some great one-liners from some of the Characters (like Blance) i just don't find their comedy funny at all and infact it's a turn off for me.

Maybe I don't get the Comedy in Corrie/Emmerdale because im a southener maybe.
    Agent F wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean when you call Corrie's humour 'cheap and patronising'. If you don't find it funny then that's absolutely fair enough, but why or how is it 'cheap and patronising'? :confused:

To be honest I don't think viewers look to EastEnders for its humour nor is that what its best remembered for. Often Corrie's best moments that are cited tend to be the more comedic and humourous (the AA meeting with the Barlows was voted Corrie's best ever moment in 2010 for example), whilst EE's best moments are often regarded as being the more dramatic points of the show.

That's not say I don't think Corrie doesn't do drama very well, as I think over the past couple of years they've proved that they absolutely do, it's just they interweave those light and dark moments together much better than EastEnders, and it does take a certain skill to do it well. Mostly I think Corrie get it bang on but sometimes they have been guilty of straying too far towards slapstick style comedy which never works very well.

On occasion I do think EE's scripts have been genuinely funny, it just really depends on the writer and the context. Comedy 'scenarios' are rarely funny but there are characters who often get some brilliant lines like Janine and Kim for example.

Ultimately though different things appeal to different people. Humour, as with many things, is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poision.
    I don;t
    When i started watching EastEnders (in the early 90's) it wasn't the Humour that caught my eye and whille i don't mind a little bit i can take or leave it.As proved last night EastEnders is at it's best with Dark gritty Drama and i want that to carry on.

Just lately there's been Too Much Lighthearted scenes and Happy Moments which imo really isn't EastEnders and that's shown
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure ee fans get subtle humour quite as much as they think that they do ;)
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Im not sure ee fans get subtle humour quite as much as they think that they do ;)
    Oh i do Because Doctors is very good at it ;)