Curling, women's and men's World Champs

Comments

• taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    Yes, I actually thought she'd nudged it just enough, but even though it didn't quite get in there, that was one of the best shots I've seen in the tournament so far.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scots lie 6w 3L so they must win one of the last two (Sui and Swe) and probably both as mentioned above; a tall order seeing of the form of the Swiss and the experience of the Swedes. But that's how Scotland like it!!
    Forum Member
    From what I saw Eve played quite poorly against the Swiss and just couldn't stop them scoring 2 whenever they had the hammer. This Swiss team looking quite solid again this year; they've certainly taken over from Miriam Ott.

Thankfully after a rest, Eve came back up to form and played much better against Sweden. They had the game under control most of the time and scored when they had they had hammer for a 10-7 win, and that puts Sweden out; their worst major tournament result for a while.

That last draw that missed against Japan has been quite costly all through the week really. If Eve had not pushed it too long they'd have qualified already. But as it stands, it looks like they'll have a tie-break against loser of the Russia-China game. Of course they then have to play the winner of that game in the 3/4 play-off, so it barely matters what that result is.
    Forum Member
    Sidorova and Galkina were hot today and helped Russia to a domineering 11-6 win over China to take the 3rd place.

Scotland v China tie-break for 4th tonight ( midnight our time ) . Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there's no live coverage scheduled, though I hope the shot/shot tracker will still be running. Scotland had chances to beat team China in the round robin so hopefully Eve will be wide awake and have her eye in this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they got to the 3 v 4 game via the scenic route! Well done, and now a great chance of yet another medal for Evie. I make that v Russia at 10am today.
    Forum Member
    My word, Eve has just pulled off her best shot of the tournament there. In the 4th end, 1-0 down and 4 Russian stones in the house and counting and somehow Eve finds a hit and roll to find her way to the button for the shot. An absolutely amazing game-saver!
    Forum Member
    Tough loss to Russia in the end. Nothing seemed to go right in the second half of the game and Sara, Anna and Eve all had poor days. Russia deserved to win as they didn't really make any significant mistakes. The chances are quite good that these teams will replay again for the bronze medal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really poor show; thought they should have attacked right from the off, we know the Russians are usually very consistent and they should have been put under pressure earlier. I'm now supporting the Swiss v Canada!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Really poor show; thought they should have attacked right from the off, we know the Russians are usually very consistent and they should have been put under pressure earlier. I'm now supporting the Swiss v Canada!

Not sure if we are seeing a shift in fortunes at this first proper post Olympc worlds.

The Swiss have strength in depth it seems post Ott and even Jennifer Jones has struggled against them. The Swedes - Team Frumpy - seem to have drooped a notch and Eve has been hit and miss.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the lead up to 2017.

Still good luck to Eve for the bronze medal match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bronze game is the inconsistent Scots v the "which team turns up* Russians!
    Considering the strength of world curling, a Bronze would still be an excellent result. With the depth of the Swiss and Canadians, think it may be time to consider introducing two or three teams from the same country, maybe having a mass qualifying event first? Seems a shame that Tirinzone, Feldtcher and Homer can't play!
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Disastrous first end Russia take a 5
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Disastrous first end Russia take a 5

Now 10-1 up after 5 after Eve pushes her final stone right out of the house so Russia steal 3 - game over basically.

What a disaster!
    Forum Member
    10-1, eve completely missed the Russian stones leaving a 3 in the 5th end

How long until they can shake hands and call it a day
    Forum Member
    Well that was a complete disaster finishes 13-4 after 8 ends. Losing 5 in the first end really put Eve and the team on the back foot and they just couldnt recover, Sidorova missed nothing probably the best I have seen her play in a game that matters.

This was the worst I have ever seen Eve and team play, hopefully just a blip and they will bounce back from.this result.
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, I think that was the most painful hour of curling I've ever had to watch. It was really over as a contest after the first end, and that was looking ok for Scotland until Russia found two lovely double take-outs leaving them sitting 4 in the house and Eve with nothing but bad options to play for. After that their heads were down, nerves were shot and the Russians, with no pressure on them, were just throwing anything they wanted.

On the whole though, if we're completely honest, I'm sure they deserved a medal this week. They seem to have been about 10% short of their best form all week and have never looked confident enough with their draw shots. Maybe the end of the season is coming at the right time for them.

Also deserved congratulations to Team Switzerland who looked always in control in their final with Canada. They've definitely been the best team right from the first day of the tournament. The Swiss churning out the winners with ease these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the most humiliating defeat for Scotland in any sport, and possibly GB as well! Been a bad week, inconsistent and never on top of their game.

On the bright side, Canada lost to Switzerland in the final!
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the most humiliating defeat for Scotland in any sport,

Oh, I can think of half a dozen far more humiliating defeats off the top of my head!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I can think of half a dozen far more humiliating defeats off the top of my head!
    So can I! But being a Scotland fan I have a very short memory!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than 48 hours to the start of the mens. Wish they could both be at the same time/venue like the Olympics though!!
    Forum Member
    The curlers were an option on Pointless today, all pointless except eve, Anna and Vicky on the women's team and Murdoch and Brewster from the mens
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two Scottish games to be shown on Youtube, v CAN and v CHI later in the week. Not seen anything on Eurosport (??).
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two Scottish games to be shown on Youtube, v CAN and v CHI later in the week. Not seen anything on Eurosport (??).

Doesn't seem to be anything at all scheduled this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCO off to a dozy start - 3 - 2 down after 5 v Italy which should be a gimmie. let them steal twice already.
    http://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#/competitions/1670-2015-ford-world-men-s-curling-championship/games/92578d74-7eb8-4f0b-ad1f-90de842fbca9
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCO off to a dozy start - 3 - 2 down after 5 v Italy which should be a gimmie. let them steal twice already.
    http://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#/competitions/1670-2015-ford-world-men-s-curling-championship/games/92578d74-7eb8-4f0b-ad1f-90de842fbca9

Lost in the EE. Ye Gods, this is gonna be a long week >:(
    Forum Member
    And that's a bit of a hiding against Japan now; 9-3 loss. McDonald never on top in any of the ends.