Radio 1 moves Chart Show to Friday afternoons...

Comments

• swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattd wrote: »
    The Big Top 40 has 2.3m listeners and a 15.6% share of listening at that time, Radio 1 has 1.3m listeners and a 9.9% share at that time.

So nearly 75 per cent of listeners are listening to something else? That's quite surprising considering how many commercial stations take big top 40...
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Big Top 40 could easily stay on a Sunday afternoon but would only really tell us what the most popular song is at that precise moment, ie 7pm on Sunday.

No different to now, is it? I can't imagine the commercial chart will move.
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Big Top 40 is a pointless chart that doesn't mean anything. When we look into the history books to see what was number for this week in a few years time, it won't be what the Big Top 40 announced as number 1 say if it differs to the Official Chart.

POTP does have more listeners than the chart on Radio 1 but then Radio 2 has more listeners anyway and lets not forget another 2 million are listening to the big top 40 show on commercial radio.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    So nearly 75 per cent of listeners are listening to something else? That's quite surprising considering how many commercial stations take big top 40...

There are many commercial hit music stations that don't do the big top 40 though.

I switch over to another station that doesn't do the top 40 when my ilr takes that output.
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always wondered why other ILR stations aimed at older audiences don't play retro charts on Sunday afternoons.
  • Jive_BunnyJive_Bunny Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    ...and I don't live in the UK :D

Aye, don't blame you!!! :)
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    I have always wondered why other ILR stations aimed at older audiences don't play retro charts on Sunday afternoons.

Back in the 90's one of the local commercial stations in this area (Leeds) did have a retro chart at the same time. Can't recall which station it was, maybe Magic 828, when it was still truly local, or maybe the long since defunct Yorkshire Gold.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic did have a retro chart but I think it was networked. Great Yorkshire Gold used to have a classic countdown between 6 and 7 on weekday evenings. I don't think they did anything like that on the weekends though.
    Currently UKRD stations Minster and Stray don't take the chart.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    The Big Top 40 is a pointless chart that doesn't mean anything. When we look into the history books to see what was number for this week in a few years time, it won't be what the Big Top 40 announced as number 1 say if it differs to the Official Chart.

POTP does have more listeners than the chart on Radio 1 but then Radio 2 has more listeners anyway and lets not forget another 2 million are listening to the big top 40 show on commercial radio.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The ratings indicate that almost twice as many people listen to the Big Top 40 than listen to the "Official" Chart, so ten/twenty/thirty years from now most peoples memories of listening to "the charts" will be of listening to the Big Top 40, especially now Radio 1 have foolishly and shortsightedly relinquished the traditional Sunday 4-7pm slot that people associate with the chart. What's striking is that, if you look at a list of Big Top 40 and "Official" number ones side-by-side, the track that is "officially" at number one was number one the week before on the Big Top 40. In other words, the "Official" Chart is perennially seven days out of date. Although I suppose, with the move to Fridays in July, it will be perennially five days out of date from July onwards.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Global Radio has confirmed to Radio Today that the Big Top 40 is staying on Sundays:

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/07/the-vodafone-big-top-40-to-stay-on-a-sunday/

Be interesting to see what gains The Big Top 40 makes - I believe it is already the bigger chart - and how it promotes itself.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We may see that Big Top 40's top 10 will be closer to the official chart now. Since they stopped including pre-orders in the iTunes chart, it's taking more hours for the new releases to peak. E.g. last week Years & Years were #2 at 6pm on Sunday, but now #1, and probably will be #1 on Friday. Also, records which do well at the start of the week because of fanbase hyping will end up lower on the Big Top 40 as they'll have started to slip by Sunday.

Anyway no surprise BT4 is staying on Sundays - no real reason to move it as it is still "ahead" of the official chart, and I expect most people listening to it aren't that bothered about the chart revelation itself, otherwise they'd be listening to Radio 1 anyway.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking forward to hearing what the new Friday chart will sound like, about time Greg presented it. One thing is annoying though, why can't they drop Newsbeat from 5.45 on a friday so the chart can be exactly 2 hours long?
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. The ratings indicate that almost twice as many people listen to the Big Top 40 than listen to the "Official" Chart, so ten/twenty/thirty years from now most peoples memories of listening to "the charts" will be of listening to the Big Top 40, especially now Radio 1 have foolishly and shortsightedly relinquished the traditional Sunday 4-7pm slot that people associate with the chart. What's striking is that, if you look at a list of Big Top 40 and "Official" number ones side-by-side, the track that is "officially" at number one was number one the week before on the Big Top 40. In other words, the "Official" Chart is perennially seven days out of date. Although I suppose, with the move to Fridays in July, it will be perennially five days out of date from July onwards.
    The reason the Big Top 40 has more listeners is because it is broadcast on so many radio stations. Many people are probably only listening because it is on the station they normally listen to. From what I remember there has been some Christmas No.1's on the Big Top 40 that weren't No.1 on the official chart? Who remembers? Barely anyone.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,343
    Forum Member
    looking forward to hearing what the new Friday chart will sound like, about time Greg presented it. One thing is annoying though, why can't they drop Newsbeat from 5.45 on a friday so the chart can be exactly 2 hours long?

Because they're the BBC and the Trust requires two in depth news bulletins a day each weekday, if you want less news try Capital, Radio 1 is a service for young listeners covering much more than music and it is important it has lengthy speech aimed at a young audience to ensure it is differentiated from commercial rivals.
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Because they're the BBC and the Trust requires two in depth news bulletins a day each weekday, if you want less news try Capital, Radio 1 is a service for young listeners covering much more than music and it is important it has lengthy speech aimed at a young audience to ensure it is differentiated from commercial rivals.

Why didn't they move Newsbeat to 6pm daily and start dance anthems from 6.15 ? Simple ?

They could still do a mid week type rundown on a Sunday if they wanted say between 6 and 7. At the moment they do it on a Wednesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason the Big Top 40 has more listeners is because it is broadcast on so many radio stations. Many people are probably only listening because it is on the station they normally listen to. From what I remember there has been some Christmas No.1's on the Big Top 40 that weren't No.1 on the official chart? Who remembers? Barely anyone.

I wonder how many people still don't realise the big top 40 isn't the official chart ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »

New songs are being released on a Friday (instead of sun/mon) in line with the rest of the world that is why the chart is moving to a Friday.
    So the bbc will use info from the previous Friday to Thursday.

So you could say that the big top 40 will be 3 days out of date. But no chart is ever going to be 100% upto date is it
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,343
    Forum Member
    At least with the old 3 hour show you'd get some songs played that you wouldn't normally hear on Radio 1, with the new short show they are just going to play the songs already on the playlist so isn't it just going to sound the same as the drivetime show does the rest of the week?
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    At least with the old 3 hour show you'd get some songs played that you wouldn't normally hear on Radio 1, with the new short show they are just going to play the songs already on the playlist so isn't it just going to sound the same as the drivetime show does the rest of the week?

How do you know?
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am also wondering what it will be like such as will the rundown music be new, will the numbers be with a different voice and what will the jingles be like?. I also think it is a shame that the Friday Newsbeat could not have been moved to a different time such as 6pm.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    I am also wondering what it will be like such as will the rundown music be new, will the numbers be with a different voice and what will the jingles be like?. I also think it is a shame that the Friday Newsbeat could not have been moved to a different time such as 6pm.
    There was a time when News 92/News 93 used to go out from 6.30-7.00. So I wonder if a 6.45 slot wouldn't be totally out of the question? That would allow the chart show to run to closer to its old running time, probably enough time to fit in all 40 songs, and also have the effect of not interrupting Greg James's show for the rest of the week as well.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see Bruno Brooke's and Pat Sharp on good morning Britain talking about it this morning. Then Bruno was on Victoria Derbyshire bbc 1 show too.

Always be The king of the chart show BB
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Nice to see Bruno Brooke's and Pat Sharp on good morning Britain talking about it this morning. Then Bruno was on Victoria Derbyshire bbc 1 show too.

Always be The king of the chart show BB

Good to see Bruno looking and sounding well. I loved his stint on the chart show - he made it sound big and exciting (which it really was in those days).
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else listening now? I've always felt Greg James was the best choice to present the Official Chart Show when he's sat in previously. Jameela Jamil and Clara Amfo were nothing more than the BBC's usual, politically correct, box-ticking quota type of presenters. Liking the show so far this afternoon, if only the same could be said for the charts themselves these days!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Who decided this change?! Radio 1 or the Official Charts company. Either way I won't be happy! But I really won't be happy if Radio 1 decided this change! The chart feels pointless when it is on a Friday. Friday is for partying and party music not charts! It should be a Sunday or a Monday! >:(