Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    delboy1953delboy1953 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Here with the unpopular view.

Quite enjoyed DriveTime today, actually enjoyed the last time Piers Morgan was on as well, don't seem to have the hatred for him others do. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE is better than Goffeh! Quite odd hearing Durham with someone who can structure an opinion or argument (right or wrong).

Durhams love affair with Michael Carrick I find completely bizarre though. And someone needs to tell him that just because he's standing up for Carrick doesn't make him right or that he's automatically won the argument.

Whenever anyone questions Durham's appraisal of Carrick as some sort of world class midfielder his stock answer is as follows.

"Alex Ferguson who won all these trophies relied on Carrick for all the major games and are you saying he wasn't a good judge of a player."

Wrong ! it is widely known that Ferguson's go to midfield player for big European nights and games against the rest of the top four was in fact Darren Fletcher.
    Carrick played against other premier sides where Utd had all the possession but when it was combative Fletcher was Fergie's man.

Tweeted Durham a couple of times on this but no response
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard luck today Diff, hope you had a day to remember apart form the result,:( & the heads not to sore in the morning ? :)

Thanks The_Sleeper, I had a great day at Wembley despite the result. Bristol City deserved their victory and I can only take my hat off to them, I hope they go on and do the double now.

There were more fans at Wembley than Anfield, St James' Park, the Etihad Stadium or Celtic Park at the weekend - who would've thought it? It just goes to show how valuable the Football League Trophy is to fans of the clubs that do well in it, and why the current format shouldn't be meddled with to include Premier League reserve teams!
  • Options
    chewstickchewstick Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) themed trailer for Hawksbee & Jacobs

so do i but i can't find a recording of it anywhere
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started to listen again to The Two Mikes for the first time since Christmas. First time since Porky has been on more and I think its as good as ever, maybe better. Production on the podcasts is great too. Really enjoying it again. The rapport between the two is even better now (was always great though) and it seems less nasty, which seemed to be the way it was headed when I stopped listening before.
  • Options
    HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The English media have fed us the diet of this being "the best League in the World" for ages, they need a reason why we're failing. This is just the latest whinge. Same with England football, cricket, rugby squads, people can never except we're just not good enough. It really is incredible why we have this superiority complex about everything considering how poor we are in general.

In the end, the Prem will be back in CL, we have the money, but our sides aren't that good ATM. Deal with it.
    The reason is quite simple.

Cazorla, Silva, Ozil, Hazard, Oscar, Nasri, Suarez, Eriksen, di Maria.

These are the players off the top of my head who have played 'between the lines' as it is often described as creative players at the highest level in the Premier League in the last couple of seasons. None of them are English. We do not and have never produced players like that. We don't produce creative players, we don't produce technical players. Anyone who comes along who's even halfway decent, like Wilshere, Barkley and Sterling, are instantly in the England team. These are the players that win and lose games at the highest level, and they all have to be imported in the PL because there are no English players like this.

At the moment the imported players aren't as good as some of the foreign teams. The best players in the world aren't playing in England at the moment. So the English teams will suffer until they can import some more players. Because we saw with Liverpool in the CL this year, and England in the World Cup, how teams get on at the highest level with a backbone of English players.

That is the reality that TS will never admit to, and the other reality that they will never admit to is that the English approach to the game is fundamentally wrong. And you won't see a successful England team until technical players are appreciated at every level of English football as much as workhorses.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HANDJFAN wrote: »
    The reason is quite simple.

Cazorla, Silva, Ozil, Hazard, Oscar, Nasri, Suarez, Eriksen, di Maria.

These are the players off the top of my head who have played 'between the lines' as it is often described as creative players at the highest level in the Premier League in the last couple of seasons. None of them are English. We do not and have never produced players like that. We don't produce creative players, we don't produce technical players. Anyone who comes along who's even halfway decent, like Wilshere, Barkley and Sterling, are instantly in the England team. These are the players that win and lose games at the highest level, and they all have to be imported in the PL because there are no English players like this.

At the moment the imported players aren't as good as some of the foreign teams. The best players in the world aren't playing in England at the moment. So the English teams will suffer until they can import some more players. Because we saw with Liverpool in the CL this year, and England in the World Cup, how teams get on at the highest level with a backbone of English players.

That is the reality that TS will never admit to, and the other reality that they will never admit to is that the English approach to the game is fundamentally wrong. And you won't see a successful England team until technical players are appreciated at every level of English football as much as workhorses.

Funnily enough Goughie and Durham went to the English Training place today, where they are trying to do something about technical deficiencies.

Yet we still lag miles behind in fully trained coaches at a lower level, this is what Dyke should be addressing, not going on about unworkable quota schemes.
  • Options
    JerrynJerryn Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Boozio AWOL again. Dants in at 15 minutes notice.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,038
    Forum Member
    Jerryn wrote: »

and making the programme a much better listen!

I've said before but these pundits are hypocrites at times - one minute they moan about the lack of English players getting chances...then the next saying all the top clubs need to buy x and z to bring instant success.

Also as suggested its all about the "hard work" and "passion" more than being technically skilful for many.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerryn wrote: »

I cant say I blame him this time, hes just heard Zayn Malik wants out from 1D

I'm gutted aswell :p:D
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I really wish Alan Brazil would pay attention to what is going on in the studio.

Adrian Bevrington is going over the papers with him and mentions Robert Green might be going to Chelsea, to become number two.

About a minute later, Alan pips up, "Did i see Robert Green might be going somewhere".

Amazing really!!!
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    I really wish Alan Brazil would pay attention to what is going on in the studio.

Adrian Bevrington is going over the papers with him and mentions Robert Green might be going to Chelsea, to become number two.

About a minute later, Alan pips up, "Did i see Robert Green might be going somewhere".

Amazing really!!!

Alan was too busy to notice the Robert Green reference as he was having fun winding Dominic Cork up, about time too. Have to say I enjoyed it, Cork is fond of giving it out but truly cannot take it in return. Adrian B practically told Cork to shut up too:D
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Homesdale wrote: »

Amazing really!!!

Brazil relies on repeating the previous nights results to get him through shows, this week there's no midweek games so he's pretty much fooked.
  • Options
    ramageramage Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    Brazil relies on repeating the previous nights results to get him through shows, this week there's no midweek games so he's pretty much fooked.

He could have talked about last nights Scotland game. Oh sorry I forgot he didn't see it, he went to bed.
    He could have also mentioned the attendance at that game (this football loving nation that once took 140,000 to Seville) had 28,000 turn up at Hampden.
    Look forward to your reply Sleeper.😜
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Alan was too busy to notice the Robert Green reference as he was having fun winding Dominic Cork up, about time too. Have to say I enjoyed it, Cork is fond of giving it out but truly cannot take it in return. Adrian B practically told Cork to shut up too:D
    I don't know why they keep hiring former professional cricketers when the station does not cover cricket. You don't see Test Match Special signing up Ray Parlour because he'd be a million miles out of his depth. I haven't heard Cork, and I don't listen to Gough, but I've heard enough of Gough to know that he is similarly out of his depth, and I assume Cork will be too.

The station has gone down an extremely bizarre and misguided route of signing celebrated names, and then asking them to do something that they're not qualified to do. I tried to give Colin Murray's show a go in the past, but Daley Thompson, for example, talking about football is a waste of time because he's not bright, he's not a qualified journalist or broadcaster, and he's never played football at a decent level. You need at least one of those qualities in order to talk about football on the radio.

One of the many reasons that the H & J show is the best on the station by miles is that they speak to people who know what they're talking about and provide you with information and content about things that you don't know yourself. There is no doubt that Tim Vickery knows more about South American football than anyone else that will ever appear on the station, so they speak to him every week about South American football.

It seems quite a simple recipe on the face of it, but no other show on the shitty station seems able to learn from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the many reasons that the H & J show is the best on the station by miles is that they speak to people who know what they're talking about and provide you with information and content about things that you don't know yourself. There is no doubt that Tim Vickery knows more about South American football than anyone else that will ever appear on the station, so they speak to him every week about South American football.

It seems quite a simple recipe on the face of it, but no other show on the shitty station seems able to learn from it.

So Up The League doesn't do that when discussing individual clubs from the three Football League divisions? Full Contact when discussing various different aspects of rugby union? Extra Time when covering a multitude of sports, or indeed when it has Tim Vickery on in his regular weekly slot? Sorry, but you are talking nonsense here.

I think you are painting a much too simplistic picture here - of course plenty of other talkSPORT shows get well-qualified experts on to provide a knowledgeable take on a specific area of the sporting world. Really it's only the flagship daytime shows - the Sports Breakfast (weekday and weekend), Drive Time and possibly Colin Murray & Friends (I don't listen enough to know) - that are guilty of the things you accuse the station as a whole of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Up The League doesn't do that when discussing individual clubs from the three Football League divisions? Full Contact when discussing various different aspects of rugby union? Extra Time when covering a multitude of sports, or indeed when it has Tim Vickery on in his regular weekly slot? Sorry, but you are talking nonsense here.

I think you are painting a much too simplistic picture here - of course plenty of other talkSPORT shows get well-qualified experts on to provide a knowledgeable take on a specific area of the sporting world. Really it's only the flagship daytime shows - the Sports Breakfast (weekday and weekend), Drive Time and possibly Colin Murray & Friends (I don't listen enough to know) - that are guilty of the things you accuse the station as a whole of.
    Maybe I should say that the most prominent shows on the station are guilty of this. The Breakfast Show, Colin Murray, Durham and Gough, I haven't heard the 7pm show because 5Live will be broadcasting then and I just assume that it will be better, and Cundy and Halfwit.

You would not unreasonably expect Full Contact to cover rugby! You would not unreasonably expect Up the League to cover lower league football! But these are niche programmes that are not part of regular programming. All of the major shows on the station are primarily focused on PL football, even H&J, and yet more than one now employs someone who is not qualified to talk about it, and who is associated with another sport.

It's bizarre to employ Gough and Cork, who both played international cricket, and then ask them primarily to talk about football, and hardly ever to talk about cricket (if Drive Time does talk about cricket then this is a total car crash because then Durham has no idea what he's talking about, but still offers the same sensationalism and 'shock jock' tactics).

But I'm sure some of the niche shows might be pretty good, when I have caught My Sporting Life it is obviously much better than the majority of the station. But why would anyone want to listen to Gough and Cork talk about football? I just don't see any justification for it.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For fans of Ian Collins
    (only connection to TS is that he is a former presenter on the station so will use spoiler tags)
    From The Colonel on Twitter - Delighted to be asked to presenter LBC's 10pm show, Sunday to Thursday. First show, this Sunday night! Don't be late. 😳
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Harry Kane love in is getting too much now. He's not the saviour, he's in great club form that might not be replicated in another side.

Just wish people would calm down and let him play without crticising the manager and being desperate for a new hero.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,038
    Forum Member
    Lets see what happens when defenders have worked him out and know his strengths and weakness'.

The guy has done well but a number of England strikers have been one hit wonders..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should say that the most prominent shows on the station are guilty of this. The Breakfast Show, Colin Murray, Durham and Gough, I haven't heard the 7pm show because 5Live will be broadcasting then and I just assume that it will be better, and Cundy and Halfwit.

Never assume! ;-) Personally, I much prefer Kick Off to 5 Live Sport in the evenings - I find the former a much stronger listen on a busy night of football and find the football discussion programmes to be much stronger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    The Harry Kane love in is getting too much now. He's not the saviour, he's in great club form that might not be replicated in another side.

Just wish people would calm down and let him play without crticising the manager and being desperate for a new hero.

He's just scored after 80 seconds of being on the pitch. :D lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been listening to The Two Mikes podcast everyday this week, absolutely loving it, they're so funny together. Like the new set-up as well with Porkyvision, Ask Porky etc. Really is the best show on the station, by a million miles imo.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been listening to The Two Mikes podcast everyday this week, absolutely loving it, .

Well if thay play there card right, this time next year thay both could have ther own show on the new station, ...........Hope Billy can tune into it from California, you heard it her first ......... J*c*Y*r* & V*N
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well if thay play there card right, this time next year thay both could have ther own show on the new station, ...........Hope Billy can tune into it from California, you heard it her first ......... J*c*Y*r* & V*N

Spit it out Sleep, I hate half stories.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Been listening to The Two Mikes podcast everyday this week, absolutely loving it, they're so funny together. Like the new set-up as well with Porkyvision, Ask Porky etc. Really is the best show on the station, by a million miles imo.

Going by the amount of married women Porky has dated and Grahams extra marital affairs they should consider changing their name to the Two Casanova's or the Two Unmoral's.:D
This discussion has been closed.