Options

Real Midsomer Murder all men in village to be DNA tested

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
The murder of a woman who was bludgened to death with a hammer in a Village in East Sussex last year. Has hit a stumbling block so the police are asking all men in the local area over the age of 17 to be DNA tested to rule them out.

Why only the men? Women are quite capable of attacking with a hammer should they wish.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2894837/Mystery-Midsomer-Murderer-savage-killing-baffled-police-middle-class-mother-bludgeoned-death-bed-idyllic-village-One-year-local-men-DNA-tested.html

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, it's been done before and caught a killer, Colin Pitchfork. Strange after nearly 30 years I remember that name. He even got his friend to take the test if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Why only the men? Women are quite capable of attacking with a hammer should they wish.

If they found some unknown DNA at the scene or on what they believe to be the murder weapon they can run tests on it and it will tell them whether it belonged to a male or female. I'm guessing they did this and found a man's DNA there.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/GeneWatch/GeneWatchPage.aspx?pageId=57

In this article, I will argue that this shared assumption is wrong. Although generally quite reliable (particularly in comparison with other forms of evidence often used in criminal trials), DNA tests are not now and have never been infallible. Errors in DNA testing occur regularly. DNA evidence has caused false incriminations and false convictions, and will continue to do so. Although DNA tests incriminate the correct person in the great majority of cases, the risk of false incrimination is high enough to deserve serious consideration in debates about expansion of DNA databases. The risk of false incrimination is borne primarily by individuals whose profiles are included in government databases (and perhaps by their relatives). Because there are racial, ethnic and class disparities in the composition of databases, the risk of false incrimination will fall disproportionately on members of the included groups.8,9
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They obviously never have "strangers" passing through the village either.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know why they don't just get samples of every person in the country's DNA (including anyone who visits the UK), then crime would probably be reduced as people would then know they're likely to be caught.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Don't know why they don't just get samples of every person in the country's DNA (including anyone who visits the UK), then crime would probably be reduced as people would then know they're likely to be caught.

Gross invasion of privacy. The police can have my DNA when, and only when, they have reasonable grounds to believe they need it.

Potential for incorrect incrimination. DNA evidence is not 100% accurate.

People don't commit crimes thinking they'll get caught.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeh cause a woman could never do such a thing >:(
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »

It was a local murder by local folk.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mistakes would be made if samples somehow got mixed up on a very rare occasion. I don't trust the authorities to be 100% careful with which samples they would use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It was a local murder by local folk.

"We didnt burn him".
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll probably be surprised how closely related they are.

In what world should they be allowed to treat a whole community along the open road as suspects and call on everyone to "rule themselves out". That's the inverse of how criminal investigation and prosecution is supposed to work. You might as well say DNA database people when they are born for such an eventuality.
    In fact I suspect they did not even screen the blood DNA for age and they're just quoting 17 because there is a law against pulling in minors with a drift net like that, which by some loophole does not cover adults.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Mistakes would be made if samples somehow got mixed up on a very rare occasion. I don't trust the authorities to be 100% careful with which samples they would use.

I"m sure they would retest you to make sure.

I'd be willing to give DNA to be kept on record.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that people against this would soon change their mind if they were close to a victim of violence. I personally think a DNA sample should be taken from everyone from birth.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    This would be voluntary I'm guessing. They can't force someone to give DNA without already being under suspicion. Though I'm sure there will be peer pressure in a small community.

They may learn more from who doesn't volunteer or who agrees but avoids actually going through with it than from the DNA samples gathered.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that people against this would soon change their mind if they were close to a victim of violence. I personally think a DNA sample should be taken from everyone from birth.

I think everyone should be put in prison at birth. Zero crime then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thing is could we trust the police not to make an error with such a large database? There have been cases where the innocent were jailed because of a DNA error.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/crime-courts/las-vegas-police-reveal-dna-error-put-wrong-man-prison
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I"m sure they would retest you to make sure.

I'd be willing to give DNA to be kept on record.

That's up to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »
    This would be voluntary I'm guessing. They can't force someone to give DNA without already being under suspicion. Though I'm sure there will be peer pressure in a small community.

They may learn more from who doesn't volunteer or who agrees but avoids actually going through with it than from the DNA samples gathered.

They may even be able narrow it down without the person going in they can tell family members so if the person brother went in they may at least find out he's related and look in that direction
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    ... Potential for incorrect incrimination. DNA evidence is not 100% accurate. ...
    And aside from this, it has not yet been established that DNA from two random individuals is always distinguishable - by simple virtue of the fact that they haven't tested everybody on the planet.
    Last time I looked, it was being touted as 'one in a billion' chance of an unrelated match and if we take it as being truly random then the birthday paradox calculations apply. Unfortunately it's not completely random and you can spot who's related to whom, and all sort of other things so I venture to suggest that 'one in a billion' is complete cobblers put out there by the salesmen.

And the point about unplanned violence being entirely unaffected by whether or not someone thinks they are going to get caught. Even planned violence is frequently unaffected by this thought.

And the rather important related point that people should be deciding not to commit a crime in the first place because they know it is a bad thing to do.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Strangers are less likely to commit murder. The more personal the crime the more likely it is to be someone known to the victim. For the same reason that it's harder to chat up a complete stranger and easier if you are already known to them and also why the infamous 'stranger danger' that kids are warned about is actually the minority risk whereas attacks from family members are the most common.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And the rather important related point that people should be deciding not to commit a crime in the first place because they know it is a bad thing to do.

That's true but they don't

When The Purge came out I read a thread (can't recall if it was here or somewhere else) with people talking about what crimes they would commit if it was a real thing and people were saying murder and rape mostly even if they were joking I find it quite scary and if they were not isn't very scary to think they only thing stopping them is they don't want to go to prison rather than they don't want to kill/rape someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They may even be able narrow it down without the person going in they can tell family members so if the person brother went in they may at least find out he's related and look in that direction

Yes, just the announcement could get someone worried enough to react differently.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true but they don't
    Criminals, you mean? That's a bit obvious, surely?

Aside from a dystopian/horror film and a bunch of people acting really hard on a discussion thread, it's a reasonably safe thing to say that the vast majority of people refrain from criminal activity because they know it is not a good thing to do.

The best way to ensure people don't turn out to be criminals is to ensure a decent education and upbringing as far as possible, and any that still turn out bad can be tested because they obviously carry the 'criminal gene'. As opposed to the selfish one, which whilst being a bit antisocial isn't actually against the law. Yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Criminals, you mean? That's a bit obvious, surely?

Aside from a dystopian/horror film and a bunch of people acting really hard on a discussion thread, it's a reasonably safe thing to say that the vast majority of people refrain from criminal activity because they know it is not a good thing to do.

The best way to ensure people don't turn out to be criminals is to ensure a decent education and upbringing as far as possible, and any that still turn out bad can be tested because they obviously carry the 'criminal gene'. As opposed to the selfish one, which whilst being a bit antisocial isn't actually against the law. Yet.

I'm sure there are people who would commit crime if they thought they could get away with it, and I wouldn't bet its only a small majority either. Most I'm sure would draw the line way before murder.

And while upbringing / education is an important factor, how do we identify a good one? And how do we even determine bad? Your explanation sounds very logical but way too many grey areas in reality. And criminal gene, does this exist?
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If there was a complete database of everyone how long do you think it would take before the governments decides it could make a few quid by selling it to private companies? Insurance companies would love to get their hands on that sort of data as they could use it to increase insurance premiums on anyone with a genetic medical condition.

You might find that your car insurance suddenly doubles because there is an above average risk of heart disease in your family.