Options

Doctors urge Calpol makers to change the taste.

2»

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I managed to raise three children to adulthood without ever using Calpol. I frown on my daughters giving it to the grandchildren as well.

What exactly do you frown upon about Calpol??? :o
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I managed to raise three children to adulthood without ever using Calpol. I frown on my daughters giving it to the grandchildren as well.

Well good for you but horses for courses and all that...
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I used to love the taste of Tixylix
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I was given Calpol as a kid, but I never once thought of drinking it out of the bottle. Maybe I hated the taste. Worst medicines were cough mixtures. I was given Tixylix once and it was fowl :o I was pleased when I was old enough to take tablets. At least they don't taste of anything!
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is wise decision as from experience when I was a kid I actually overdosed on calpol when I was 5 I somehow got hold of it and got through the child safety cap and nearly drank all of it. I was rushed to hospital but im not sure what they did to me as I went into an unconscious state. Luckily it didnt affect me since im an adult now. I do think calpol should have its flavour changed so it doesnt encourage kids to drink it since it has lots of drugs in it

That must have been terrifying for your parents. Can't even imagine. Thank goodness you were OK.

I'd still prefer paed meds to have a nice taste so they'll take it. When my child isn't well I really want to know they've taken the full dose, not have to battle and coax an already crabbit child and wonder how much was spat out at the end of it.

Besides making something taste repellent may not deter the curious child. I once drank white spirits that I found in a cupboard under the sink. My parents obviously had poor regard for health and safety. It was the 70s. :D
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of my children like the taste of Calpol - or any other childrens medicine for that matter.

My youngest had an undiagnosed UTI and very, very high temp we couldn't get any medicine into her no matter what we tried and she ended up having a febrile convolution. She was then prescribed some truly disgusting antibiotics from the hospital which thankfully she took.

When I was younger if I was ever given the banana antibiotic I was sick, to this day if one of our daughters is prescribed it it makes me heave! I uses to love the taste of buttercup syrup.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    II was given Tixylix once and it was fowl :o I was pleased when I was old enough to take tablets. At least they don't taste of anything!
    you a bit chicken?
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Luckyyem;76638639 I uses to love the taste of buttercup syrup.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Faked many a illness as a child to try and get a spoonful of that :p:blush:
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    On the other hand, parents could ensure that they always put anything potentially dangerous away, out of reach, as soon as they've finished with it - like we did when our children were young.

And that's the answer!

I've always had a lock on the medicine cupboard, even though I'm an OAP. Habit started when I was a young lad protecting my infant son who loved climbing and raking through cupboards.
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my daughter had her tonsils out she preferred the pain rather than taking the hospital prescribed cheap revolting version of calpol.
    The tempting taste of Calpol was brilliant compared to watching your child suffer post-surgery pain without any pain relief.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail is troll central these days, this is a non-story cooked up by their writers.

They have just gone trawling for comments from various sources and spun it all together to make a story. Apparently for the Mail on Sunday.
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be given Calpol when I was ill as a kid and it tasted absolutely foul. It's hard to describe the taste but it was sickly and just disgusting. Even the thought of it as an adult makes me feel a bit nauseous.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    You frown on the use of Paracetemol or on the use of Calpol ?
    Then Paracetemol is a very effective anti pyretic and pain relief ? I just wonder if you frown on relieving pain and fever or is it the brand you frown on ?
    What exactly do you frown upon about Calpol??? :o
    Well good for you but horses for courses and all that...

Kids were tougher in the 70's. :) But if my children were ill enough to need paracetamol they would be given a junior disprin. My grandchildren would have been addicted to Calpol if my daughters had any say in the matter. It seemed that every time they visited me, they would cart a bottle of the ubiquitous pink stuff with them.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Kids were tougher in the 70's. :) But if my children were ill enough to need paracetamol they would be given a junior disprin. My grandchildren would have been addicted to Calpol if my daughters had any say in the matter. It seemed that every time they visited me, they would cart a bottle of the ubiquitous pink stuff with them.

aspirin for children under 16 was banned a while back unless advised by a doctor.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now junior dispirin. That brings back memories. I loved them as a kid.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brothers sister in law was telling me about a baby class she was in a couple of weeks ago where the parents were discussing how to get the babies to take a dummy, one parent said they give theirs a quick dip in sugar, another said honey and another said they dip it in calpol. I remember years ago a girl I know also saying she would use calpol to get their baby to take the dummy because it tastes so good. I don't think changing the taste is a good idea but educating parents where to store the calpol and when to use it is badly needed IMO.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    A leading doctor has warned that children could be at risk of accidental overdose from Calpol and other brightly coloured drugs that ‘look more like milkshake than medicines’.

Doctors say that Calpol’s syrup-sweet strawberry taste and pink colouring also makes it ‘almost irresistible’ to some youngsters.

Does this guy even have children. When mine are ill they will take Calpol but you try and give them something else which is not sweet tasting. I cannot get them to take it without a very big battle.

If children are getting hold of this medicine and overdosing on it. It is the parents responsibilty to put it out of reach.

If they made Calpol less palitable for children. I can see more of them being admitted to hospital because they refuse to take something to make them better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2924545/Calpol-dangerous-make-taste-like-strawberry-sweets-Doctors-urge-manufacturers-make-medicine-appealing-children.html#comments
    My child is the opposite. She absolutely hates the overly-sweet childrens' medicines and would rather take a tablet dissolved in water. Calpol's sweet, sickly and disgusting and she heaved every time I put it in her mouth, always ended up on the bed/carpet/PJ's!

I agree regarding parental responsibility though, all these experts trying to take control of everything away from the parents, it's no wonder that so many adults are seeking for this that and the other to be banned/controlled by third-parties, they aren't being told often enough 'hey, you're the grown up, the parent, you take responsibility', instead everybody else is wanting to control everything.