Madonna performing at the BRITs, will you be watching?

Comments

• Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, quite the opposite. It set an iTunes record and in the UK alone she actually tied herself with Elvis as the solo artist with most number 1 albums. A record she will no doubt break herself once again when Rebel Heart is released in March.

You're right :) I remember now, thanks a bunch :D
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    Old hasbeen

Yet more entertaining than the likes of Justine Beaver, auto tuned idiots 1D & union jockstrap, Beyawnce, email sandel or whatever her name is.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, people have been saying that she's past it and have been telling her to retire for over 20 years now. I remember watching a video of a group of young guys on a YouTube documentary about Madonna saying that her Sex Book was a reaction to her "impending hagdom", she was only 34 back then. As she's got older the attacks have become more frequent, I remember the "old hag" comments when the video for 4 Minutes was released in 2008. Perhaps people should realise that she's not going to retire and that all these pleas for her to stop will just continue to fall on deaf ears. Madonna is not going to retire or disappear as long as it's up to her, it's just the sort of person she is. There are plenty of artists I don't like but I just don't comment on them or give them any attention.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Put it here because this is a general question for those who like to see what Madonna is up to :D

Will you be watching simply to see Madonna back on stage, despite being a fan or not?

People seem to have a fascination with what she gets up to, she'll be on British soil, we better get the red carpet out

Madonna should really take a hard look at herself and her abilities and move on to something more dignified. Many singers can carry on into old age, but she never had a voice to start with, can't sing particularly well, can't act and her real - substantial - coupled with an iron will is for self-promotion and building a whole career out of very, very little. I'm not being sarcastic when I say she must get credit for that. But she should reflect on herself and be very honest about what she sees.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    Couldn't give a toss
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Madonna should really take a hard look at herself and her abilities and move on to something more dignified. Many singers can carry on into old age, but she never had a voice to start with, can't sing particularly well, can't act and her real - substantial - coupled with an iron will is for self-promotion and building a whole career out of very, very little. I'm not being sarcastic when I say she must get credit for that. But she should reflect on herself and be very honest about what she sees.

I don't think she "should" do any of these things. She still sells out stadiums and people are still interested in her. When people say "dignified" they mean ageing in a way they deem appropriate, personally considering she's never going to listen to people who say these things I think that it's about time people accepted that.

Even if she has built a career out of very little, good for her. She went for it and she's not going anywhere for a long time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be putting myself through the show...... at least until she's done. I think her performances are always ace, even though I agree with whoever has said MDNA sucked..... it did. And I don't like any of the new stuff I've heard either so far...... She needs to get back to basics as far as I'm concerned and come out with a great album if she wants to stay relevant. All this over-produced poop does my head in.

As for the poster who was going on about a zimmer frame..... she's 56, not 86! And she has more energy and is more flexible than a hell of a lot of people half her age! I'm sure there'll be a lot of high kicks and I doubt there'll be even so much as a bone creaking!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Is that your opinion regarding Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Barbra Streisand, Cher and Rod Stewart too?

None of them are has-beens (and I know you're sticking up for them). They're all still rocking, all still have oodles of talent and can show today's 'stars' a thing or three. Madonna is no has-been either. Has beens don't sell out packed concert arenas all over the world. She just came out with a rubbish last album, that's all. Plus, she's dared to get over the age of 50.....Goddamn her!!

She'll have star billing at the BRITS and is the only reason a lot of people will be watching. Come on the Madge!
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I'll be watching. She can't make the show any duller than last year's snore-a-thon.

Mind you, they've got witless gibbons Ant & Dec presenting, so you never know.

I was going to watch despite Madonna. Never been my sort of music, in all the types she has tried. Now I am reminded of the presenters I may give it a miss.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them are has-beens (and I know you're sticking up for them). They're all still rocking, all still have oodles of talent and can show today's 'stars' a thing or three. Madonna is no has-been either. Has beens don't sell out packed concert arenas all over the world. She just came out with a rubbish last album, that's all. Plus, she's dared to get over the age of 50.....Goddamn her!!

She'll have star billing at the BRITS and is the only reason a lot of people will be watching. Come on the Madge!

Great post.

The baffling thing is that Madonna incites a lot of resentment from people for reasons that are hard to understand. Firstly, if someone doesn't like her, ignore her! concentrate on someone you do do like.

Secondly, if people don't like her music, well don't buy it then! She won't mind or care.

Thirdly, if anyone has issues about what she does based on how old she is, that says far more about their "isms" than it does about Madonna.

Fourthly, Madonna has one of the biggest and most vocal fan bases in the world. Her fans will and do speak out when she releases a bad record. And MDNA and Hard Candy, by Madonna's standards, were weak records. They are still great albums when compared to many of todays contemporary artists' efforts, but we all know Madonna can do better. That doesn't make her a has been. It just means she no longer has anything to prove.

I liked your comment that suggested "how dare she get to be in her 50's". I am nearly 50 and I still like having a damn good time and am in no way ready for early nights, Radio 4 and a post Office account card for my pension to be paid. I want to hear and dance to great feel good music. So, why shouldn't Madonna still be allowed to enjoy herself and make and dance to music she likes best? We're a long time dead and Madonna doesn't yet feel she's ready for sequined long dresses and singing ballads all night. When she feels that's what she wants to do, then and only then, will she do it.

I like all older artists because they're in it for the love and passion of it. They know the business better than todays puppet artists because they came from an era where they could be in control of what they were doing. They created their own products and their own images. They have and they had talent. The legends are dwindling in numbers nowadays and we should cherish them and their performances, not slag them off.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The baffling thing is that Madonna incites a lot of resentment from people for reasons that are hard to understand. Firstly, if someone doesn't like her, ignore her! concentrate on someone you do do like.

Secondly, if people don't like her music, well don't buy it then! She won't mind or care.

Thirdly, if anyone has issues about what she does based on how old she is, that says far more about their "isms" than it does about Madonna.

I think she is a poor singer. I don't care what she chooses to do and not do. I listen to quite a few singers older than Madonna who pee on her from a great height.

My opinion, and I will probably get a response about how many millions of records she has sold. Which makes me wrong. Popularity doesn't always equate with quality.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She chases relevance like a dog chases snausages. I've always considered her a trend-hopping fraud, like Bowie. They desperately jump on the latest bandwagon time and time again and then try to take the credit. I doubt I'll watch, unless I'm very, very bored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I was once a huge Madonna fan but I find her antics embarrassing now.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is leading all 3 top places on iTunes right now.

People were saying about her not being relevant no more..... ;)
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As if one-day digital sales based on pre-orders somehow equate to relevance. Let's see how much the album has sold in 6 weeks.
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great post.

Fourthly, Madonna has one of the biggest and most vocal fan bases in the world. Her fans will and do speak out when she releases a bad record. And MDNA and Hard Candy, by Madonna's standards, were weak records. They are still great albums when compared to many of todays contemporary artists' efforts, but we all know Madonna can do better. That doesn't make her a has been. It just means she no longer has anything to prove.

I liked your comment that suggested "how dare she get to be in her 50's". I am nearly 50 and I still like having a damn good time and am in no way ready for early nights, Radio 4 and a post Office account card for my pension to be paid. I want to hear and dance to great feel good music. So, why shouldn't Madonna still be allowed to enjoy herself and make and dance to music she likes best? We're a long time dead and Madonna doesn't yet feel she's ready for sequined long dresses and singing ballads all night. When she feels that's what she wants to do, then and only then, will she do it.

I like all older artists because they're in it for the love and passion of it. They know the business better than todays puppet artists because they came from an era where they could be in control of what they were doing. They created their own products and their own images. They have and they had talent. The legends are dwindling in numbers nowadays and we should cherish them and their performances, not slag them off.

Good post. I don't like Madonna (it's 'same age as Madonna' Kate Bush all the way for me) but you talk sense:)
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member

Exactly!

What other 56 year old woman in the music industry would do this?
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows she is contracted to do at least another album after Rebel Heart so she isn't going anywhere. I wonder how she is going to top the Grammy performance and if she will only be performing Living For Love again.
  • kazmartinskazmartins Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is a poor singer. I don't care what she chooses to do and not do. I listen to quite a few singers older than Madonna who pee on her from a great height.

My opinion, and I will probably get a response about how many millions of records she has sold. Which makes me wrong. Popularity doesn't always equate with quality.

I think she reminds me of the Primark of the singing world - there are better quality shops but lots of people still shop there as its everywhere and the quality is ok.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kazmartins wrote: »
    I think she reminds me of the Primark of the singing world - there are better quality shops but lots of people still shop there as its everywhere and the quality is ok.:)

This is Madonna talking about herself back in 2005:

"I know I'm not the greatest singer. I know I'm not the greatest dancer. I don't pretend to be. But I know I can give my fans a bit of light and happiness and if they choose to reach out to me because they can relate to what I say and can embrace my art, well, then when I'm no longer here, that is surely a job well done!"
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's anything like her Grammy's performance...she better bring her zimmer frame, because her dancing was truly painful to watch, no ebb, no flow just clumsy & stiff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    If it's anything like her Grammy's performance...she better bring her zimmer frame, because her dancing was truly painful to watch, no ebb, no flow just clumsy & stiff.

She has already admitted that it didn't go quite the way she had hoped. I think she forgot some steps but there was a brief section where she looked a bit meh! it was likely a combination of wrong shoes, nerves and a tightly structured slot. She still gets nervous when she goes out to perform and if you notice, once she settled in to the routine she became more comfortable and the dancing improved. I think people forget she's human, and all these "zimmer frames" comments are pathetic. If you think 56 is old, then I bet your house will be a lively place once you're that age, what with your DVD collections of Bargain Hunt and Countryfile.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I'll watch to relish the extreme cringeworthyness of a woman who's almost 60 trying to dress and act like a 20 year old, miming to her autotuned generic dance music.
  • Rubbish NameRubbish Name Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should she stop if she's still having fun and there are still fans who are happy to pay to go and see her? Nobody's forcing you to look at the 'rancid old hag' if you don't want to. I was a massive fan in the 80s, she hasn't really been my thing since then but Idon't feel the need to tell her to stop. Cher is 68 and still touring, Tina Turner is 75 and still touring. Bop till you drop, ladies
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should she stop if she's still having fun and there are still fans who are happy to pay to go and see her? Nobody's forcing you to look at the 'rancid old hag' if you don't want to. I was a massive fan in the 80s, she hasn't really been my thing since then but Idon't feel the need to tell her to stop. Cher is 68 and still touring, Tina Turner is 75 and still touring. Bop till you drop, ladies

Cher at age 67:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Cher_Dressed_to_Kill_D2K.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Cher_TBT_D2K.jpg

I'm... conflicted :D