Options

Self Harming for Zayn

Comments

• Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure how something like this can be trending on Twitter.....

I mean, if you're genuinely self harming, then that person has to have serious problems and be fairly disturbed etc, so why on earth would they want to put something like that on a such a public social media site such as Twitter! :confused:

Attention seeking much?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

I mean, if you're genuinely self harming, then that person has to have serious problems and be fairly disturbed etc, so why on earth would they want to put something like that on a such a public social media site such as Twitter! :confused:

Attention seeking much?

You are right it is probably started by Attention seeking trolls. However it might be actioned by someone who is not a Troll but needs serious help. So it needs to be nipped in the bud and stopped as twitter seemed to have done.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I popped into telcos last night, and, walking down the bakery aisle, noticed 'One Direction' cake bars. I commented to the shelf stacker that she'd have to get out her marker pen and obliterate Zayn. When she looked at me, I saw she was crying:o #feelingguiltyabout1Djoke
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Attention seeking much?

They're a weird bunch. On the back of some documentary about the band/fans/whatever, they convinced themselves that up to 100 fans had committed suicide over it. Whenever they were asked why this phenomenon hadn't made the news and was therefore really probably not true, the excuses ranged from the time it takes for an autopsy to be carried out, to "they may not have found them yet".

While I don't think I was ever that stupid at that age, I suppose I must have had my moments.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    I popped into telcos last night, and, walking down the bakery aisle, noticed 'One Direction' cake bars. I commented to the shelf stacker that she'd have to get out her marker pen and obliterate Zayn. When she looked at me, I saw she was crying:o #feelingguiltyabout1Djoke

You meanie!! :D Bit of an overreaction though, he hasn't died, just resigned (or possibly asked to leave, if the drug rumours are true).

I bet One Direction merchandise sellers are gutted though, all the t-shirts, pillow cases, school bags etc etc all consigned to the bin.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Attention seeking much?
    People who use Twitter might be using it to seek attention?

My God!

: )
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    You meanie!! :D Bit of an overreaction though, he hasn't died, just resigned (or possibly asked to leave, if the drug rumours are true).

I bet One Direction merchandise sellers are gutted though, all the t-shirts, pillow cases, school bags etc etc all consigned to the bin.

It's a financial catastrophe for the memorabilia industry:D I'd not have mentioned it if I'd known she was upset, honest:cry:
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    ... So this behaviour isn't new, but I do think it's more extreme these days and that the fans egg each other on through social media. ...
    Previously it would have been a matter of sulking in your room for a week which although it isn't "sharing" it is definitely not bottling it up either. Wailing into the extra-large fluffy cushion with the music turned up, eventually allowing one or more of your friends to visit and you could soon move on.
    Now of course you are not alone with your thoughts (and pillow, music, posters etc) and you don't get the space to understand your own feelings - instead you have a constant flow of sympathy, telling you it's perfectly OK and you ignore the ones that tell you to get over it because the sympathy ones are nicer. Unfortunately there is also an unspoken competitive undercurrent of 'my emotional pain is worse than yours' and this is the spiral that some get caught up in.
    [...]
    Attention seeking much?
    Look at me I'm having emotional pain! Aww hunni we are all here for you! Just stick your head in the oven and get it over with! Have some cocoa! I put my hand on the iron and it felt much better! Have some more chocolate! That won't work with a microwave! Thanks all your messages are keeping me going! Stab your hand with scissors and put it on youtube! Cuddle your extra large fluffy blanket! (etc)

DianaFire wrote: »
    ... While I don't think I was ever that stupid at that age, I suppose I must have had my moments.
    Didn't everyone? I should think we all got taken in by the wild rumour stuff at least once or twice when bored kids make stuff up from what they overheard the grown-ups saying. Unfortunately the internet means that these things spread a long way beyond just a couple of playgrounds and it's taken as fact more than before because there's just so many echoing the same nonsense and fact-checking is becoming increasingly unpopular...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're a weird bunch. On the back of some documentary about the band/fans/whatever, they convinced themselves that up to 100 fans had committed suicide over it. Whenever they were asked why this phenomenon hadn't made the news and was therefore really probably not true, the excuses ranged from the time it takes for an autopsy to be carried out, to "they may not have found them yet".

While I don't think I was ever that stupid at that age, I suppose I must have had my moments.
    tbh, I don't think anyone could be as weird as the current generation of twitter teens.

What gets me (I've got nothing to back this up, just a feeling..) is that they probably don't even realize that what they're trolling or making up or actually doing, is serious, they're probably quite excited about putting it "out there" on Twitter!

Meaning it somehow proves what great fans they are!

I've never been a crazy fan, I've only worshipped from the television screen and posters on my wall. The most silly thing I've ever done is practice french kissing Clark Datchler from Johnny Hates Jazz.......(the poster that is.....)
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing is, this Zayn character sounds like a bit of a prat. He keeps getting caught cheating on his fiancé, who is bizarrely still with him I presume. Then he quits the band when caught red handed again and leaves them all in the middle of a world tour.

What a great guy ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Previously it would have been a matter of sulking in your room for a week which although it isn't "sharing" it is definitely not bottling it up either. Wailing into the extra-large fluffy cushion with the music turned up, eventually allowing one or more of your friends to visit and you could soon move on.
    Now of course you are not alone with your thoughts (and pillow, music, posters etc) and you don't get the space to understand your own feelings - instead you have a constant flow of sympathy, telling you it's perfectly OK and you ignore the ones that tell you to get over it because the sympathy ones are nicer. Unfortunately there is also an unspoken competitive undercurrent of 'my emotional pain is worse than yours' and this is the spiral that some get caught up in.

Look at me I'm having emotional pain! Aww hunni we are all here for you! Just stick your head in the oven and get it over with! Have some cocoa! I put my hand on the iron and it felt much better! Have some more chocolate! That won't work with a microwave! Thanks all your messages are keeping me going! Stab your hand with scissors and put it on youtube! Cuddle your extra large fluffy blanket! (etc)

Didn't everyone? I should think we all got taken in by the wild rumour stuff at least once or twice when bored kids make stuff up from what they overheard the grown-ups saying. Unfortunately the internet means that these things spread a long way beyond just a couple of playgrounds and it's taken as fact more than before because there's just so many echoing the same nonsense and fact-checking is becoming increasingly unpopular...

You summed that up very well :)

Is it just me, as I'm anti twitter and Facebook, or do people actually "speak" differently on these sites?

When I hear young teenage girls calling each other "honey" and describing their little tweenie mates as all "stunning", it just makes my teeth itch!

I can't believe I'm about to say this phrase........here goes...............

When I was there age....

Me and my friends would have all gagged and screamed had we spoken to each other like the Twitter/FB generation do....
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melodramatic teenagers being stupid and totally undermining the very serious reasons that drive people to self harm.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    You would have thought from all the fuss that he had killed himself not just left the group, they aren't a band and I refuse to call them a band. I remember when Kurt Cobain killed himself now that was sad, I remember when River Phoenix and Brandon Lee died again that was sad. Zayn leaving a manufactured X Factor group is not in the same league.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    The worst thing is, this Zayn character sounds like a bit of a prat. He keeps getting caught cheating on his fiancé, who is bizarrely still with him I presume. Then he quits the band when caught red handed again and leaves them all in the middle of a world tour.

What a great guy ....
    I suppose there is a lot more to it than what they're telling the media at the moment. No doubt all types of things are going to be "leaked" to the press before too long....^_^

I think he's actually a miserable self entitled prat who looks as if he could use a damn good bath, and could smile a bit more!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I have no idea who these people are, but I assume they were famous at some point.:D

I don't know whether to laugh or kill self for feeling so old. :D Yes, they were famous one time.

Rudolph Valentino (photo) - a silent film star, probably best known for being one of the US's four first American heartthrobs (the other three: Wallace Reid, Sessue Hayakawa, and Hugh Allan). Valentino's 'Passionate Latin Lover' screen persona and messy "private" life - married a suspected lesbian! in love with an unattainable woman! - was such fodder for gossip/film magazines that he overshadowed those three heartthrobs. But yeah.

Jim Morrison - vocalist for The Doors ("This is the end / beautiful friend / this is the end / my only friend / the end" - I think the best known version is the opening of Francis Ford Coppola's vietnam war film, Apocalypse Now); subject of Oliver Stone's biopic The Doors, and the 1960s-era template of a pretentious prat.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't use social media responsibly you probably shouldn't be using it at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    You would have thought from all the fuss that he had killed himself not just left the group, they aren't a band and I refuse to call them a band. I remember when Kurt Cobain killed himself now that was sad, I remember when River Phoenix and Brandon Lee died again that was sad. Zayn leaving a manufactured X Factor group is not in the same league.

I agree. I think I could like them a bit more, if they didn't pretend to be something that they're not!

I can understand why they'd want to try and get away from their squeaky clean image etc, but on the other hand, they decided to go down that route anyway via the x factor, so imo, they should have stayed more like how they were originally designed....
    a manufactured plastic band of puppets (with a few catchy songs thrown in on the occasion....)

Trying all out to be "rebels" with dirty hair and tattoos etc, is a bit cringy, especially when their fan base have only just stopped watching CBBC!

Though I think Harry Styles is going to have the most success after they all split up eventually.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    A minority of fans usually are.

When I was a kid, I learnt from a film book that two committed suicide after Rudolph Valentino died. Not long after that, I learnt a 17-year-old boy shot himself and a 15-year-old girl jumped off a high rise after the news announced Jim Morrison's death. Nothing about fans surprised me since.

If they could take their lives over famous strangers, ought we be surprised at how far some would go to prove their love or devastation?

Yes that sort of behaviour doesn't make a lot of sense to most people. But at least in those examples it was due their idol suffering a shocking early death. Same for Michael Jackson, Kurt Cobain etc.

As oppose to a rich young man choosing to quit his job so he can enjoy a life of leisure! :confused:
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying all out to be "rebels" with dirty hair and tattoos etc, is a bit cringy, especially when their fan base have only just stopped watching CBBC!
    Or possibly just started again, don't forget they have two primary age groups in their fan base!
    Though I think Harry Styles is going to have the most success after they all split up eventually.
    If he's the one with the biggest hair, then yes, definitely.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect they wanted rid of their clean cut image by getting tattoos. Louis, Niall and Harry look ridiculous with their tattoos. They look too baby faced to suit them. Harry looks laughable with them. A ridiculous attempt at trying to rid themselves of their innocent image in Louis, Niall and Harry's case. Harry also looks a bit daft with that long hair.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

What a great guy ....

Does sound a bit of a knob quitting the band at that stage doesnt he?
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's the one with the biggest hair, then yes, definitely.

I've asked young people and, yes, he's the one with the hair. He's possibly more of a pop star type than the remainder.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I agree. I think I could like them a bit more, if they didn't pretend to be something that they're not!

I can understand why they'd want to try and get away from their squeaky clean image etc, but on the other hand, they decided to go down that route anyway via the x factor, so imo, they should have stayed more like how they were originally designed....
    a manufactured plastic band of puppets (with a few catchy songs thrown in on the occasion....)

I think they are confused about who they want to be to be honest. I think they want to be this edgy group a bit like the Rolling Stones but their fans are mainly little girls.
    zx50 wrote: »
    I suspect they wanted rid of their clean cut image by getting tattoos. Louis, Niall and Harry look ridiculous with their tattoos. They look too baby faced to suit them. Harry looks laughable with them. A ridiculous attempt at trying to rid themselves of their innocent image in Louis, Niall and Harry's case. Harry also looks a bit daft with that long hair.

I think you mean Liam, Niall doesn't have that many or so the Daily Mail likes to report.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've asked young people and, yes, he's the one with the hair. He's possibly more of a pop star type than the remainder.
    This bit made me LOL. :D
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    The Carpet Crawlers heed their callers.

You gotta get in to get out. :)