The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    The trouble with the two series cycle is I think most people wrote it off last year. The premiere seems to have been seen as an improvement on last year, but can't see it building in the overnights to much more than 600,000 throughout the series - which we shouldn't forget is actually still pretty damn good for E4, but not the 800,000-1m you expect from their drama.

The Skins premiere is on Sky Anytime this morning. As rare as hens' teeth to see FTA channel content. Ad and DOG free too.
  • mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Glad to see the royal bodyguard slightly increase. I will genuinely miss it after next week, it doesn't,t deserve to be in the same league as big top. RIP guy hubble
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Coronation Street drew 11.51m (44.15%) / 300k +1 for Becky Macdonald's exit. Peak: 12.07m.

Source: Michael Rosser
    I think that will probably end up as the top rated soap episode of 2012. I can't see what else could beat that unless the Christmas Day EastEnders isn't up against DA.
    agreed, cant see EE beating that this year.
    - On BBC1, EastEnders got a strong 9.06m (35.4%), Royal Bodyguard was still low with 2.79m (11.1%) and Mrs Brown's Boys was up to 5.22m (20%).
    BBC will be pleased RB is stay above 2 million.
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    Wow, I believe I recommended Whitechapel to you during our "you should give some ITV drama a try" dispute - you watched the repeat on ITV3 - and you're still watching it... :)
    its a show a few people have challenged me on, and I always said at the time, had it been a BBC show, I would have watched it.

It is a good show.

on to ratings

Not surprised Panorama didnt preform well (im avoiding train puns) the reasons for high train fairs are well known. Sometimes I wonder if Panorama is best served having to make an episode every week.

Was expecting slightly more for Celebrity Big Brother, again Wedding Planner took advantage of the lead in.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    Was expecting slightly more for Celebrity Big Brother, again Wedding Planner took advantage of the lead in.
    Really? It rallied by about 600k week-on-week to become the most watched highlights show of the series to date. With online the only source for news on the show now, it was a big ask to expect more than that I feel. People on here were saying it wouldn't rise at all as the show had apparently "lost" the casual audience. Oops! :D

Celeb Wedding Planner is a flop, beaten almost 2:1 by a show called Party Paramedics on 4, but its demos are probably alright. I agree with the poster that said they should have swapped it with Bit On The Side last night. It's not strong enough to be a good sandwich show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demographic Information for BBC1 and ITV1 covering the period of Sunday 15th to 22nd January: http://i42.tinypic.com/2hmotok.jpg

Where do all the men go?

If my wife is watching one of her programmes, I'm still in the lounge, surfing the net or reading, but aware of what's on the TV.

If I was in a BARB home, would I be counted as a viewer?
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These ratings show that there is still life in CBB format. Don't watch it anymore myself though but a lot of people seem to be enjoying it.

As for the normal BB, I recon one more go in the summer and if that is a flop again it needs to go. Even 2 CBB's in a year would work in place of it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for posting the demo information rzt, I was going to ask you to post them for Call The Midwife.

TBH I am amazed that as much as 38% of the audience is male. figured it would be 25% - 30%

Football aside, BBC seems to serve male viewers better than ITV.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Perhaps Sky don't need to give away matches?

ESPN must be struggling. I've just been given two months free, with no contract. So I'm getting all their matches FREE.

Look closely at the small print - after one month you have to tell them whether you wish to continue. If you don't contact them they'll assume you do and start charging you.
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Perhaps Sky don't need to give away matches?

ESPN must be struggling. I've just been given two months free, with no contract. So I'm getting all their matches FREE.

It's been free to Irish subscribers who take the Sky Sports pack since August.

As far as the free weekend is concerned, I would be very surprised if Manchester City v Fulham manages to be the highest rated live Premier League match ever as some of the media have suggested.

Will be fascinating to see how ESPN get on in the auction for Premier League rights which is due in the Spring. I imagine they will want at least 2 packages (although the details of the packages on offer has yet to be confirmed) but I suspect Sky will want to keep hold of Monday Night Football which has been a big success since it returned 2 seasons ago. There is also the added wild card of Al Jazeera who have being buying up rights for French football in recent weeks and who obviously have a huge budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Look closely at the small print - after one month you have to tell them whether you wish to continue. If you don't contact them they'll assume you do and start charging you.

True. Thirty one days notice. But there is no contract.

When Sky give three months free, you're tied in for twelve months regardless.

I've put the cancellation date on my calendar!!
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Sunday 22nd January 2012 - Quick Roundup
    BBC One
    Countryfile: 6.28m (24.4%)
    Call the Midwife: 8.64m (30.7%)
    Birdsong: 6.03m (23.6%)

BBC Two
    Masters Final: 1.86m (7.3%)

ITV1
    Dancing on Ice: 7.10m (27.7%)
    * +1: 220k (0.8%)
    Wild at Heart: 6.37m (23.0%)
    * +1: 286k (1.2%)
    Dancing on Ice: 5.90m (23.0%)
    That Sunday Night Show: 2.52m (10.8%)

Channel 4
    The Hotel: 1.18m (4.2%)
    * +1: 254k (1.0%)
    FILM: 127 Hours: 2.32m (9.4%)
    * +1: 288k (1.7%)
    Chris Moyles' Quiz Night: 525k (4.1%)

Channel 5
    Spiderman: 1.26m (4.7%)
    World's Greatest Heroes: 500k (1.9%)
    Celebrity Big Brother: 1.77m (8.5%)

Other names for Dancing on Ice from my "invisible hat":
    - Crisis on Ice
    - Flopping on Ice
    - Downturn on Ice

;)

Seems quite low for a final, anyone know what it peaked at? thanks :)
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Surely this series of Skins is going to be the last. Talk about flogging a dead horse. If that's its premiere rating then it's going to be rating very low by the end of the series.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    I think the Skins bubble might have burst last year. It premiered okay but as it got into the series proper it was posting some low numbers.

Not sure how 4OD views might affect it though. Maybe it does really well on there? :confused:
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    I think the Skins bubble might have burst last year. It premiered okay but as it got into the series proper it was posting some low numbers.

Not sure how 4OD views might affect it though. Maybe it does really well on there? :confused:

Maybe. This week's episode was quite heavily advertised so that may have bumped up the numbers, although I think Skins on the whole is no longer the talking point it once was, and every new cast seems to dilute the impact of the show a little bit further...
  • Emine.CEmine.C Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Are the Corrie figures really that surprising? They have been advertising and hyping Becky's exit up for weeks.

The BBC rarely seem to promote EE anymore. Not in the way they used to. Pat's exit did well to get over 10 million considering the promo for it only began a matter of days before she snuffed it.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC didn't promote Birdsong very much yet it ran endless promos for Andrew Neill's new Sunday politics show (which I would think had less interest for most viewers).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The BBC didn't promote Birdsong very much yet it ran endless promos for Andrew Neill's new Sunday politics show (which I would think had less interest for most viewers).
    what? I saw loads of Birdsong adverts. The young woman in them, is quite attractive. Distractingly so.

This one
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I also think that with EE, Pat's demise was a widely known, foregone conclusion and not exactly cheery New Year's Day viewing; Corrie on the other hand managed to keep some air of mystery surrounding Becky's departure. Becky had the same lynchpin status as a character which Raquel did back in the 90s.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Well the Dancing On Ice twist is revealed. Will it help it against Call The Midwife and Top Gear?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s101/dancing-on-ice/news/a361689/dancing-on-ice-celebrities-go-head-to-head-in-skating-battle-twist.html

That seems a bit stupid, making half the celebrities immune from elimination, which surely would just disenfranchise the viewers more?
    Now who was it around here that said scheduling of the Monday episodes just made Becky's departure look like a regular episode, so it wouldn't be an event? Shows what we know!

Yes, well done to me there. I guess when there's a really big storyline any scheduling will do but the current scheduling does limit them in terms of what they can do to really make an episode special. He says, repeatedly being proved wrong.
    There was talk about the scheduling of episodes in the other thread about how ITV should put the soaps back on Sunday. I REALLY don't want soaps on Sundays as I like a day free from them. If ITV put good shows on people will watch like The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Downton Abbey etc.

There already is a day free from them, Saturdays. They can still put those shows on as well. My argument is that putting them on Sunday frees up the schedule, whereas now they're all crammed in on weeknights so if you don't like soaps there seems to be nothing for you on ITV pre-watershed. By moving one episode of each to Sunday it frees up another midweek slot and it provides more variety.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »
    These ratings show that there is still life in CBB format. Don't watch it anymore myself though but a lot of people seem to be enjoying it.

As for the normal BB, I recon one more go in the summer and if that is a flop again it needs to go. Even 2 CBB's in a year would work in place of it

It just needs more people Denise and Michael's ages, I still think that other than that, not being on in the summer and being on the day after CBB8 are why BB12 flopped.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    That will probably timeshift to over 12 million and will be the top rated soap episode this year.

Great rating for it considering the "lack of snow" and the such like this year. Corrie seems to do better for "big events" than EastEnders does, as shown a few weeks ago.
    Disagree with that. There are loads of different factors. Length of the episode, opposition, fragmented viewing, promotion, mystique of the ending to name a few.

To be honest, I was surprised at how well the show did last night, didnt realise Becky was such a draw. In the style of others posters who love their stereotypes, perhaps Corrie viewers relate to her with her being a northern, heavy smoking, violent, loud, semi-alcoholic, chav. ;)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That seems a bit stupid, making half the celebrities immune from elimination, which surely would just disenfranchise the viewers more?

Yes, well done to me there. I guess when there's a really big storyline any scheduling will do but the current scheduling does limit them in terms of what they can do to really make an episode special. He says, repeatedly being proved wrong.

There already is a day free from them, Saturdays. They can still put those shows on as well. My argument is that putting them on Sunday frees up the schedule, whereas now they're all crammed in on weeknights so if you don't like soaps there seems to be nothing for you on ITV pre-watershed. By moving one episode of each to Sunday it frees up another midweek slot and it provides more variety.

Well actually, I think the schedule would free up better if there was less soap on in the week as well. There really is no need for two episodes on Mondays, two episodes on Fridays and a Thursday episode too. Go back to Monday, Wednesday and Friday for Corrie and Tuesday and Thursday at 8 for an hour for Emmerdale.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    Poor start for Skins...
    I wonder if the problem with Skins is that its just failed to find a new audience. Its been six years since the first series aired and the teens that watched that will now be either approaching their 20's or already there – how much interest do they have in a teen drama about 16 year olds? Skins is a great idea if you assume that every two years it refreshes its audience but if its just the same viewers who were there in series one the whole thing falls apart...
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Can't recall Strictly doing anything like that. There has been a lot of crap written here about Dancing on Ice over the last few days (I don't really understand why BBC fanboys are so threatened by it!). Yes, it gets quite a bit wrong (the ads, Christine Bleakley, the line up isn't great!) but as a competition and a format it is in no way as inferior to Strictly as some people here like to make out.
    Its the exact same format just on ice and as I said yesterday I think its the addition of the ice that tends to undermine the whole thing because it just makes it far too difficult and far too technical. Despite being on air for several years now I've yet to see anyone excel in Dancing on Ice in the same way contestants do year in and year out on Strictly and as a result you have a much lower standard of competition and a much less visually engaging show for viewers. The basic concept is absolutely fine it just stumbles in reality.

Charnham wrote: »
    agreed, cant see EE beating that this year,
    Depends on what they have lined up for Christmas and how the Christmas schedules shake out this year. I don't think its such an incredibly high number that its impossible though.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Superb for Corrie and very well deserved.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    I wonder if the problem with Skins is that its just failed to find a new audience. Its been six years since the first series aired and the teens that watched that will now be either approaching their 20's or already there – how much interest do they have in a teen drama about 16 year olds? Skins is a great idea if you assume that every two years it refreshes its audience but if its just the same viewers who were there in series one the whole thing falls apart...

Its the exact same format just on ice and as I said yesterday I think its the addition of the ice that tends to undermine the whole thing because it just makes it far too difficult and far too technical. Despite being on air for several years now I've yet to see anyone excel in Dancing on Ice in the same way contestants do year in and year out on Strictly and as a result you have a much lower standard of competition and a much less visually engaging show for viewers. The basic concept is absolutely fine it just stumbles in reality.

Depends on what they have lined up for Christmas and how the Christmas schedules shake out this year. I don't think its such an incredibly high number that its impossible though.

Heathers murder might get a couple more viewers!
This discussion has been closed.