Options

last nights artists

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
Forum Member
did anyone cath the name of the artist who does the hous sitting portraits?

Comments

• Options
    superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill Slightlystrangeandcompletelytalentless
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol that was so bizarre. Kirsty couldn't get out of there fast enough. Pity we didn't see the other team with her for their reaction as well. Don't think even Zoe could have claimed to be able to identify with that! :D
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    That was so weird, I go to other people's houses, wear their clothes, pretend to be them, get someone else to take my photograph and then call it art :confused:

Had visions of friends of hers sitting at home with a complete :eek: expression on their faces as they realise what she's been doing in their houses
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was so weird, I go to other people's houses, wear their clothes, pretend to be them, get someone else to take my photograph and then call it art :confused:

Had visions of friends of hers sitting at home with a complete :eek: expression on their faces as they realise what she's been doing in their houses

I didn't even realise they were friends !:eek::eek: I thought they were strangers ... like getting a professional 'house sitter' out of the yellow pages or off the internet, you hire them, go on holiday and your mates are saying "god how could you get a stranger in your house like that, she could be trying your stuff on or anything" and you say "ah, don't over-react, its just a business - as if anyone would do that!" Then your study, cat and best dress turn up in a photo on The Apprentice :eek:
  • Options
    cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim's reaction to that was priceless :D
  • Options
    UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was all just so wrong.

I wonder what last night's national TV coverage will do for her photography career? "Oh yes, you're the really creepy one. Come on in, here's my keys."

Not.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Sugar chose her as well, didn't he? No wonder she couldn't get out fast enough! I'd have legged it too! Not only is it creepy beyond belief how the hell is dressing up in clothing and taking pictures of it art? People actually make money from that rubbish?
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    superboy wrote: »
    Jill Slightlystrangeandcompletelytalentless

Lol ! :D:D
  • Options
    SuburbanqueenSuburbanqueen Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have given ny of them houseroom.............

The abstracts which cost thousands.........wtf?? I'm not surprised she only sold 3 or 4 a year. Amazed that she sold any ! The photos were pleasant enough I suppose ! But hardly high art......

What a pretentious, silly lot they all were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jessica Layton, I found it, i agree unless she has permission from the owners what a cheek!
  • Options
    junglejuicejunglejuice Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cartree wrote: »
    Tim's reaction to that was priceless :D

Yes, it was hilarious :D:D

Sadly, his only highlight :sleep:

The creepy house sitter had to be a set up just to see if anyone went for it surely? She didn't even take the photos ffs!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.artslant.com/lon/artists/show/86050-jessica-layton?tab=PROFILE

shes genuine, and been doing it for a while it seems
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.artslant.com/lon/artists/show/86050-jessica-layton?tab=PROFILE

shes genuine, and been doing it for a while it seems

'Both the homeowner and the photographer remain unaware of the performance-taking place until afterwards, as it is essential that the photographer believe he or she has entered my home to photograph me in my personal environment.' from her website

'I consider myself an instigator: through employing a variety of subversive tactics, I orchestrate situations in which unsuspecting people become participants in the creation of the work. I see this as a way of examining and reconfiguring the relationship that exists between artist, subject and viewer.' from the RCA site

Well that last quote just about sums up TA! And definately her appearance on it :D

I do sort of see what she's trying to achieve. Although as individual photos you wouldn't tell. Only when you've a row of them and you realise it's the same woman in all that you'd start to question what you're looking at.
  • Options
    cookie_365cookie_365 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually thought that was an interesting idea, but it made no sense to sell her photos as they only work in a gallery situation where you can compare the different ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cookie_365 wrote: »
    I actually thought that was an interesting idea, but it made no sense to sell her photos as they only work in a gallery situation where you can compare the different ones.

and without the story as to why she does it it makes no sense as the results are not that outstanding?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cookie_365 wrote: »

You summed it up better than me.

Looking at her website, she really does invade peoples' privacy. Even nicks things to use as part of her art. Gives them back I suppose, but still. None of this is done with permission beforehand.
    So another reason not to sell her art is in case it becomes part of a law suit :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well contraversal art does sell and because of this she has been noticed, i belong to red bubblle and theres a convo going on there about this, (which i started) its developed into copyright issues but is mainly to do with is it art or crime, i now think its not crime but not very nice?
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...The creepy house sitter had to be a set up just to see if anyone went for it surely? She didn't even take the photos ffs!
    Lol!

And does she share any 'proceeds' with the homeowners? Not that I expect anyone to hand over any money, mind. If she did that in my house she'd be prosecuted.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe there was no comment on Zoe choosing the installation artist.

I can't think of a less commercial art type in a off-the-street gallery setting. The abstracts, although ridiculously overpriced for an artist of limited success and collectiblity, were far more sensible. You want to squarely hit the urban-trendy upper-middle class 25-45 bracket earning 35-50 grand a year. That's the demographic that would buy unknown artists off-the-wall from a no-name gallery.

Tim's teams first two main choices (the photographer and the tiki kitsch) were exactly that. Zoe chose one artist that was ridiculous in that setting,
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I can't believe there was no comment on Zoe choosing the installation artist.

Did Zoe choose Mark Melvin though? I don't think that was shown? Emma was project manager so ultimately the responsibility would be hers, not Zoes'.
    Also we don't really know the breakdown of each artists sales - we did see at least one of Marks mirrors being sold right at the end though. Also dont forget it was Zoe who won over Tom Lewis from the other team and we know his work definitly sold (Arjuns big sale was one of Toms')
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Did Zoe choose Mark Melvin though? I don't think that was shown? Emma was project manager so ultimately the responsibility would be hers, not Zoes'.
    Also we don't really know the breakdown of each artists sales - we did see at least one of Marks mirrors being sold right at the end though. Also dont forget it was Zoe who won over Tom Lewis from the other team and we know his work definitly sold (Arjuns big sale was one of Toms')

I'm not sure Zoe won him over, rather than the other team's pitch to him was abyssal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I'm not sure Zoe won him over, rather than the other team's pitch to him was abyssal.

Well he wanted to be in Brick Lane rather than the West End. So he must have had sufficent faith in Zoe to overcome that. Afterall he was probably informed that it wasn't just Kirsty trying to sell but still didn't want to take the chance on what the others were like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Kirstys going to miss out on a lot of life and its experiences. She doesn't do art! That was apparent wasn't it?
  • Options
    Loracan1Loracan1 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I still cringe everytime I think about that housesitter 'artist'.