How To View HDD Recorder Via Two TV's

Hi,

A friend has a Panasonic DMR-HW120 HDD Recorder.

He wants to set it up so that he can view the output through either his main TV or the kitchen TV.

He connected the HDMI from the unit to his main TV and that works fine.

He then ran a cable from the Panasonic RF out to the RF in of his kitchen TV but can only see freeview and not anything played back from the recorder.

I presume that is due to the recorded content only being sent via the HDMI?

The Panasonic unit only has one HDMI out. I have seen that you can buy a dual HDMI splitter plug which allows for two HDMI cables to be connected via the single HDMI out socket on the Panasonic recorder.

Would this allow the content from the recorder to go directly to both TV's?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A splitter plug cannot work if both TVs are powered and may not work anyway.

You need an active splitter like this. http://www.lindy.co.uk/2-port-hdmi-splitter/38026.html (I'm not recommending that product, I just linked it as an example of what you need others here may well have specific recommendations)
  • bf1gunbf1gun Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Thanks Bobcar
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bf1gun wrote: »
    ...He then ran a cable from the Panasonic RF out to the RF in of his kitchen TV but can only see freeview and not anything played back from the recorder......
    He would have to switch to analogue mode on the kitchen TV and then tune in to the channel that the recorder is sending it's output on.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    He would have to switch to analogue mode on the kitchen TV and then tune in to the channel that the recorder is sending it's output on.

That is assuming that the recorder will output over RF at all. My Panny DVDR does not do so and it is likely bf1gun's is the same though I'm not familiar with that particular model to be sure.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    That is assuming that the recorder will output over RF at all. My Panny DVDR does not do so and it is likely bf1gun's is the same though I'm not familiar with that particular model to be sure.

Correct. As far as I can see it has RF loopthrough not a modulated RF output
    bf1gun wrote: »

He then ran a cable from the Panasonic RF out to the RF in of his kitchen TV but can only see freeview and not anything played back from the recorder.

I presume that is due to the recorded content only being sent via the HDMI?

The Freeview channels he is seeing are those received by the tuner in the kitchen TV and not those being received by the Panasonic
  • bf1gunbf1gun Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Quick Update:

I bought a 2 way HDMI splitter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354047134&sr=1-1

Connected both TV's and works fine. The splitter comes with a power supply which was needed as the signal would not carry without it.