• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Loved it. Thought it was a great film
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Israel scenes are very good, the rest of the film was unremarkable.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed it overall in a dumb, switch your brain off kind of way, but as others have already mentioned the last 30 minutes or so was a real mess (very predictable and uninspiring).

As for the main characters being the only two survivors of the plane crash - well, at least one of the zombies also 'survived'. :)
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    What I don't get is how the noise of those ladies singing that song in Jerusalem set the zombies off but the sounds of an entire city did nothing.

Have I missed something?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is how the noise of those ladies singing that song in Jerusalem set the zombies off but the sounds of an entire city did nothing.

Have I missed something?

It was the volume, wasn't it? The crowd joined the singing, which increased the volume, attracting the zombies.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    It was the volume, wasn't it? The crowd joined the singing, which increased the volume, attracting the zombies.

Hmm I guess. Just seems odd that all that noise did nothing but singing through a loud speaker set them off.

Zombies not a fan of the tune I guess :)
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really enjoyed it my favorite film of the year 8/10 for me.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words; "Plane crash".

I'm all for suspension of disbelief but really? Those 2 happen to be the only survivors of the plane crash? I got that far and thought "what a crock of sh..."

Funny moment when Bradley's locked in the virus room with the 'chomping zombie' outside. Very memorable.

The Walking Dead it is not.
    Don't you mean Gerry ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did like the film, but I don't see a point in making World War Z 2
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No masterpiece, but I enjoyed it as hectic, pillar-to-post, forward motion entertainment, which was obviously its aim.

But then I wasn't posting on a forum at the same time.

amazing the difference it can make

good film, not amazing but i enjoyed it from start to finish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not seen it before, or read the book, but last night we watched the Unrated Edition (I think it was called that).

Terrible. Just mind-numbingly awful. No character development, no interesting plot development, nothing to add to the zombie genre at all. I'm amazed Brad Pitt agreed to do this. I can only assume the money involved was impossible to refuse.

Kinda reminded me of I Am Legend in some ways, only without the interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Offensively bad, thanks to its contempt for plot and characterisation.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't that bad - but it wasn't that good either. Just a bunch of set pieces, stapled together. I wound up thinking it might have made more sense as a TV series - there were a lot of ideas, none of which were really given any chance to be developed.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty decent. Not terribly innovative but overall it's a solid film, has a couple of memorable `"zombie rush" sequences. Considering all the trouble they had with the production, it turned out pretty damn well for them.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this film offered absolutely nothing to the genre. It started ok they just turned into a real bore. I pretty much hated it personally lol. you might as well stick 28 days later in.
  • Options
    IofielIofiel Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give it a 7/10

I enjoy rewatching it ... I like the music ... and I like Bradd Pitt ...
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I guess. Just seems odd that all that noise did nothing but singing through a loud speaker set them off.

Zombies not a fan of the tune I guess :)

More importantly, no one flying round the wall noticed the Zombies started to climb up it?

Awful film. Some of the dialogue is breathtakingly bad. The little sequence where Brad Pitt is outlining his plan to infect humans with diseases as camouflage is particularly teeth grinding.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated it. It was a chore to sit through
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I rather enjoyed it, it was fun and the opening sequence was tense. Sure bits of it were rather silly (the plane crash and to an extent the Jerusalem sequence), but it was enjoyable and a nice way to pass the time.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    I was a bit curious about the Cardiff ending's huge shift in tone in what had gone on before, and this is what I gathered following a google search:

The climax was originally going to be in Russia, and be a huge epic fight with the zombies - they did the filming for this. However when reviewing the footage it was felt the Russian finale didn't work, apparently it was almost like a superhero movie, with Pitt destroying huge waves of zombies.

So they decided to take a different tack together and did the Cardiff based ending instead - as they felt they couldn't really top the Israel action scenes.

This is why the pre release hype was all about plot rewrites and lots of new scenes being shot.

The plane crash was part of the original version, except it was then crashing in Russia, not Wales.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it a 3 stars out of 5 movie for me.

I did laugh at the implausibility of the plane crashing a short walk from their intended destination though. Plus how did they have any idea where the lab was following the crash?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. Decent movie. Slowed down with all the scenes showing the wife on the phone.

One of the big problems it had was that compared to "The Last of Us", it seemed shallow.

The Last of Us redefined the "zombie" genre. Even "The Walking Dead" is lame by comparison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. The film was suspenseful, entertaining and had some funny "jumpy" moments too. The character development was pretty consistent.

If it were ever possible for a zombie apocalypse to happen, I'm certain that real world events would play out in much the same way as they did in the movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    I did laugh at the implausibility of the plane crashing a short walk from their intended destination though. Plus how did they have any idea where the lab was following the crash?

It doesn't actually say they only walked a short distance, maybe sat navs still work? :p
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, but could it have been better of course

The thing I thought didn't add up was brad pitts wife in the film, I mean he is married to Angelina jolie and the wife in the movie was so meh LOL

I agree the plane crash bit was ridiculous
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Terrible. Just mind-numbingly awful. No character development, no interesting plot development, nothing to add to the zombie genre at all. I'm amazed Brad Pitt agreed to do this. I can only assume the money involved was impossible to refuse.

Nah, Brad's not exactly short on cash, is he?

My guess is that he read the book, liked it and was told that the vision for the film was similar.

By all accounts, the production process was not so much a car-crash as a series of spectacular motorway pile-ups. I read that all the weapons, ammunition and pyrotechnics for the climactic battle scene were impounded at Prague airport because the paperwork hadn't been completed properly. By the time customs had been convinced that they didn't have an attempted coup on their hands, the fiming window had closed and the ending had to be completely rewritten. So we're kinda lucky to have ended up with a mediocre, as opposed to a disastrous, film, really.