When will Netflix comply with the Digital Single Market

ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
Forum Member
✭✭
Will the EU have take Anti-trust action against Netflix to comply?

http://ec.europa.eu/priorities/digital-single-market/docs/roadmap_en.pdf

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than making us try to work out what you're demanding by reading a tedious PDF, why not just tell us?

What is it you want Netflix to actually do?
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple comply with the EU Digital Single Market ... As you are a simpleton that means using a single account to access Neflix within any EU country without the need for VPN/DNS piracy!
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Simple comply with the EU Digital Single Market ... As you are a simpleton that means using a single account to access Neflix within any EU country without the need for VPN/DNS piracy!

Netflix will probably get round EU dictates simply by offering the same content in all EU countries which could actually mean less choice. The real prize is to get same content as US and that is unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Ps - I actually agree with previous poster asking your point,which was a reasonable request, and did not deserve a sarcastic reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

Ps - I actually agree with previous poster asking your point,which was a reasonable request, and did not deserve a sarcastic reply.

Did you also consider a ONE page pdf tedious?

The pdf was interesting, well layed out and SIMPLE to understand.

Netflix's current business model is based on cross region piracy.

In the future they will have to offer the same library of content accessible anywhere in the EU.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the future they will have to offer the same library of content accessible anywhere in the EU.

No it doesn't. No where does it state a company has to offer the content in every region. The producers of the content have to sell pan European rights rather than regional and the broadcasters can't artificially prevent you from subscribing to a service and watching it anywhere in the EU but they don't have to make it available on every separate service. So there would be nothing stopping them having one show a UK Netflix exclusive, another a German Netflix exclusive and then requiring you to have a separate subscription in each country which they would legally have to sell you no matter what country you reside in
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That pdf only shows when things will happen, not what the actual detail is.

My understanding of the proposed changes is that (for example) that digital media companies will no longer be allowed to limit access to services within that country e.g. if you are in France and want to subscribe to Sky, Sky can no longer say it is only for UK users.

There would be no obligation for Sky to improve its EU footprint though.

Of course with internet, geolocking inside the EU would become a thing of the past.

However still many issues e.g. would bbc iplayer be freely available to non tv license users in Europe. I would have no issue if EU citizens paid for a tv license of course.

In a similar manner, Netflix will not have to offer the same content across whole of EU, but if somebody in Germany wants to subscribe to the UK service, they will be allowed to.

The German service may be similar, but would (I assume) contain many films dubbed in to German.

All the change does is remove artificial barriers, restricting access - it does not obligate firms to provide a pan-european service!

Whilst the upshot is that EU citizens can access what they like, they will still have to pay for each countries offerings ie multiple subscriptions.

Sorry wakey, I took so long doing this reply (interruptions), you answered before me but we basically have the same understanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    No it doesn't. No where does it state a company has to offer the content in every region. The producers of the content have to sell pan European rights rather than regional and the broadcasters can't artificially prevent you from subscribing to a service and watching it anywhere in the EU but they don't have to make it available on every separate service. So there would be nothing stopping them having one show a UK Netflix exclusive, another a German Netflix exclusive and then requiring you to have a separate subscription in each country which they would legally have to sell you no matter what country you reside in

EXACTLY ... Netflix MUST not geo-block within the EU ... 😄