Options

FOxsat HDR - HDMI Connection gives Green Screen

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    THanks but unfortunately I've tried that already but it made no difference. I think I'll just have to settle for the scart connection!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    My green screen eventually turned out to be a problem with the Sony TV, not the Humax. This was after Humax had accepted that it was a fault with the HDR!

When I tried any other HDMI device with the TV they wouldn't work either (although slightly different symptoms) - so I have concluded that the HDMI interface has failed in the telly. A Sony service centre is "looking into" replacing the firmware, but I haven't heard anything in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panrider45 wrote: »
    THanks but unfortunately I've tried that already but it made no difference. I think I'll just have to settle for the scart connection!!
    I have mine connected up to my Sony TV by both Scart & HDMI (I watch HD via HDMI, and SD via Scart), and I don't have any HDMI Green Screen issues. Try connecting up both.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things to try if you fail to get an image or you get a green screen:

Re-select the HDMI source, hopefully re-triggering the HDMI handshake between your HDMI source and the tv.

Or in the case of the Foxsat/HDR then push V-format until it changes resolution, this should also re-trigger the HDMI handshake function between the foxsat and the tv.
  • Options
    Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I recently removed my tv off the wall during decorating and the TV started giving me issues when I put it back on.

What I found cured the problem for me was doing a complete power down of the TV (Plug out jobbie) and waiting for all the residual power or whatever it is and for the standby light to dissappear (It's a Samsung). I also turned the power to my Freesat box and the a/v receiver to standby.

It all worked fine after restarting.

The point of this post is to suggest completely powering off the TV as opposed to switching off and on with the remote. Might be worth a try!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all,
    I've just joined the forum because I googled the Green screen and this forum came up. I connected my new Humax FoxSat PVR to my 3 year old Sony Bravia HD ready TV using just the HDMI cable and it worked brilliantly for 2 weeks. Then suddenly, for no apparent reason, I could only get the Green Screen you have been discussing. The system still works OK with scart cable. I've powered on and off, connected and re-connected but no change. Green screen everytime I connect the HDMI cable. Having read the above posts, I'm not sure if there is a consensus of opinion as to whether the Fox sat or the Sony is to blame. Has anyone replaced their Humax Foxsat yet with a new one - and has it cured the problem? Or do I need to get my TV assessed by an engineer? (which could cost a bit!)

It's a well known problem with Humax equipment and its HDMI handshaking issues. All I can offer is this
    try without a scart connection or try it in one of the other HDMI slots on your TV. Always switch the TV on first to the HDMI slot it uses before switching on the unit.
    Try another HDMI lead (and here I mean a better quality one)
    GG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks to you all - but I think I most probably have the same problem as Pessable - and that the Sony TV is at fault. I've tried all the above solutions (except new HDMI cable) - the nearest bit of hope was a slight flicker of colour before the green screen re-appeared when using the V format button. The annoying thing is that it worked so well at first.
    Granny grunt - seeing as it worked so well to start with, is a new HDMI cable likely to make any difference?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I have both an HDR and and the non recording box. With the HDR it's connected to a Sony Bravia LCD 40" TV. via a Sony surround sound system which has a four port HDMI socket built in and this then controls all other devices. The HDR is connected as is a Technomate 6800 and a Toshiba DVD player. I can have everything connected and switched on and switch between devices without any hitch. (The Sat receivers take feeds from two different dishes -one motorised) I don't experience any configuration issues ie: Green screen. - I HDMI cable from the amp connects to the HDMI input of the TV. Conversely I do on occasions get this problem arising with another room setup with a non HDR Humax which is HDMI linked directly to a Philips 32" Pixel plus LCD. This set up also has a linked Hyundai Micro HD Media Recorder & player. HDR-350Q. it's taking the audio/video signal from the Humax via a component out cable. The Hyundai connects to a second HDMI input on the TV. It would seem then that the "Green" screen issue arises from either incorrect configuration of the source inputs to the TV. I can certainly correct mine by paying attention to setting the source prioity with the respective remotes. It's clearly much less hassle in the former setup in my lounge where ther Sony amp takes care of the switching of devices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to you all - but I think I most probably have the same problem as Pessable - and that the Sony TV is at fault. I've tried all the above solutions (except new HDMI cable) - the nearest bit of hope was a slight flicker of colour before the green screen re-appeared when using the V format button. The annoying thing is that it worked so well at first.
    Granny grunt - seeing as it worked so well to start with, is a new HDMI cable likely to make any difference?
    why I suggest that option is because my sister recently had the V+ HD box installed and all was well at first then she got a blue screen (Toshiba equivalent of the Sony@ green screen, in other words a 'hand shaking issue) The installer came back and fitted a much better HDMI lead and voila! all is now well.

GG
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Interesting to read about HDCP, I wasn't really sure what it was until now:-
    http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/a/hdmidvihdcp.htm

So you should ascertain if your TV is HDCP compliant or not. Simply HDMI isn't good enough it seems.

You'd think Sony (having a stake in the movie industry) would be the first to adopt HDCP!
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of the spec for any TV carrying the eicta official HD Ready or HDreadyFull1080p logo is the requirement for a hdmi/dvi port with hdcp compliance.

http://www.eicta.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has HDCP been a requirement since the beginning? no mention here that I can see
    http://www.eicta.org/fileadmin/user_upload/document/PR_-_EICTA_launches_1080p_qualifier_logos.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks! that's very clear.

I had an argument with Philips over a "HD" television I bought. I just mentioned it in another thread. They specified it was HD at the time, I even had the box with the writing on it. It was only 1366 x 9** or something there abouts I can't remember.

Where as I also had an old version of Adobe Photoshop, a couple of years older than the TV, and there was an option for beginning a new page in HD (1920 x 1080 pixels). So it's not like it was NEWS!!!!!

Anyway I did get a new TV out of them eventually that was indeed 1920x1080, but it only accepts inputs of 1080i
  • Options
    carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1366 x 768 is a popular panel size for mid-range HD TVs.

It is HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stumbled across this thread while searching for solutions to the problems I've had with the above.
    I've had the Foxsat since February and it worked fine with my Pioneer 435XDE via HDMI.
    I came back from holiday on 29th October to be greeted by a green screen when trying to do anything with the Humax. Other SD inputs on HDMI (DVD player etc) were OK.

I contacted Currys, where I bought the box, and without even asking what the problem was, they simply said go and swap it for a new one at your nearest store.
    It sounded like a solution, so duly obliged. Seems a bit wasteful, but hey.

New box - same problem, so picked it up with both Pioneer and Humax. Some mutual finger-pointing ensued, the upshot of which was that the HDMI card in my Pioneer was faulty and needed replacing (actually, I didn't hear too much from Humax - they seem very unresponsive as an organisation)

New HDMI card, £120 bill and problem solved. But while getting the board swapped, the engineer commented that the new card has had a major redesign, and the problem is probably the same as Pioneer had with the SkyHD boxes, i.e. the HDCP chip was kippered.

I then noticed that the Humax box had received an upgrade dated 25th October (v1.00.11). Is this what caused the problem? Does this trash the HDMI board? If so, is anyone else out there having the same issue?

Call me Mr Paranoid, but I darkly suspect that we are not being told something here, and I really wonder if I should be expected to fork out £120 to fix a known issue which is being suppressed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stumbled across this thread while searching for solutions to the problems I've had with the above.
    I've had the Foxsat since February and it worked fine with my Pioneer 435XDE via HDMI.
    I came back from holiday on 29th October to be greeted by a green screen when trying to do anything with the Humax. Other SD inputs on HDMI (DVD player etc) were OK.

I contacted Currys, where I bought the box, and without even asking what the problem was, they simply said go and swap it for a new one at your nearest store.

New box - same problem, so picked it up with both Pioneer and Humax. Some mutual finger-pointing ensued, the upshot of which was that the HDMI card in my Pioneer was faulty and needed replacing (actually, I didn't hear too much from Humax - they seem very unresponsive as an organisation)

New HDMI card, £120 bill and problem solved. But while getting the board swapped, the engineer commented that the new card has had a major redesign, and the problem is probably the same as Pioneer had with the SkyHD boxes, i.e. the HDCP chip was kippered.

I then noticed that the Humax box had received an upgrade dated 25th October (v1.00.11). Is this what caused the problem? Does this trash the HDMI board? If so, is anyone else out there having the same issue?

Call me Mr Paranoid, but I darkly suspect that we are not being told something here, and I really wonder if I should be expected to fork out £120 to fix a known issue which is being suppressed?
    Certainly not in your case as you had the problem on the 29/10, and the upgrade was only yesterday (manually), or this morning (OTA).

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    The upgrade, although dated 25 Oct., was only made available yesterday so I doubt that it was to blame for your problem.
  • Options
    goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @ BlackJohnny:) Welcome!

I think if you search for green or blue or black screen etc in DS and other forums, you will find the issue is far from uncommon, and not limited to Humax or particular TV models.

It has to do with the handshake that sets up the link between PVR and TV.

If a better cable is suggested be sceptical: a HDMI cable works or it doesn't, be it cheap or dear.

My personal work round is this.

Select Source and then TV on the PVR
    Change input on dialog box to another option than HDMI
    Reselect Source ( but not TV)
    Reselect HDMI in dialog box.

If you find any function disabled, press PVR button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK that's interesting. I did the update yesterday manually, as I was setting up the new Humax after the Pioneer repair, so I assumed from the firmware date that it was an earlier OTA upgrade.

So that wasn't it. Any other thoughts, or did I just get unlucky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    goggled wrote: »
    @ BlackJohnny:) Welcome!

I think if you search for green or blue or black screen etc in DS and other forums, you will find the issue is far from uncommon, and not limited to Humax or particular TV models.

It has to do with the handshake that sets up the link between PVR and TV.

If a better cable is suggested be sceptical: a HDMI cable works or it doesn't, be it cheap or dear.

My personal work round is this.

Select Source and then TV on the PVR
    Change input on dialog box to another option than HDMI
    Reselect Source ( but not TV)
    Reselect HDMI in dialog box.

If you find any function disabled, press PVR button.

Thanks for the welcome.

I tried all that, new different cables, switch on order, factory resets, but a nice solid green screen

For what it's worth, the repair chappy said choosing colour temperature 2 on the HDMI input (probably only applies to Pioneer plasmas) can also make the handshake a bit better.

But in my case, I think it was a digitally fried board. Fair do's, if it's wear and tear, I'll take it on the nose, but I was darkly suspicious ;)
  • Options
    CamelopardisCamelopardis Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Blue Flame wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP ever sorted his 'green screen' or if he took it back.... Seven months is a long time :eek:

Hi .. I'm the OP :)

No - inever did sort it. I had a Hitachi TV .. and I think there was probably a HDCP handshaking problem with it. I took the Humax back for a refund and built myself a Media Center instead.
  • Options
    Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Hi .. I'm the OP :)

No - inever did sort it. I had a Hitachi TV .. and I think there was probably a HDCP handshaking problem with it. I took the Humax back for a refund and built myself a Media Center instead.

Thanks for the timely update. that only took one year and five days to respond. !! :eek: You must be from from Brigadoon ;)
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem which i have learnt to live with by changing channels or V-Format button pressing
    Still hopeful Humax will fix this one day :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member

Same problems here, same Pioneer display and a Foxsat HDR. Screen has been up for 5 years or so, the Foxsat was bought when first came out, perhaps 2.5 years ago? The green screen came on yesterday and I can't get rid of it (well, it will sometimes go away for a few seconds if I reboot the Foxsat).
    I've called Pioneer and they asked me to register here http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/content/press/news/hdreg.html which I've done (even though I'm not a Sky subscriber).
    I'm prepared to pay for a new HDCP board if that's what it takes, my display is wall mounted and it wouldn't be trivial to replace it as the Pioneer has a special cable (not HDMI) buried in the plaster to it :rolleyes: