Can someone explain Scott?

Comments

• scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him and her. He's so bad it's funny. She really tries.

I don't think he takes himself seriously at all.

He's not nervous about appearing on live TV - hence the banter - but he knows he can't dance and doesn't like showing the emotions involved in dancing.

Interesting on ITT Sarah cox said he'd never danced at any work event whilst on radio 1.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggested yesterday that he had no personality and he danced last night as if he were wearing wellington boots.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    He is so very bad that he must have an ego the size of the Mount Everest of he's asking people to vote for him.

He's worse than anyone else I can think of including Anne Widdecombe, Gregg Wallace and John Sergeant, and he's clearly not enjoying having the judges criticise him - he looked near to tears this week. But perhaps he thinks he knows better than them - ego again.

He won't be at all popular if he avoids the dance off and one of the good dancers goes out.

Avoiding the dance off is down to the voters, so if he does then it's because enough of them want him to do so. Blaming him for something he actually has no control over is fruitless. Everyone of the contestsants begs for votes be it by wheeling out the Nan's or famous friends or colleagues or doing the pleading phone hand over the phone line number. No one is actually forced to take notice just because someone famous says so!

He is a quick witted and witty guy in his day job - he is funny but not the slapstick funny Strictly prefer - who seems paralysed by fear on the dance floor. He is self aware enough to know how bad he is and, honestly, I don't think he enjoys anything about Saturday nights at all.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Radio Scott, he's very much a big part of my radio experience during College/Uni days, along with the likes of Jo Whiley, Annie Mac, etc, that sort of generation.

Strictly Scott I don't like so much, not in the sense of the person and personality, just in the dancing sense. He is one of those people that is not 'so bad yet so funny', but simply (imo) 'so bad and only so bad'. Of course it's not his fault, he is just so far from being a natural dancer and wasn't born with the ability, and some people are just that way... be it in anything, dancing, singing, speaking languages etc. So sadly I can't find him enjoyable to watch in in the John Seargent or Widdy way that for some reason was easier to consumable despite their lack of ability. Dare I say, John was probably better in Ballroom than Scott is so far turning out to be.

With Joanne, I don't think it's necessarily all (or even half) her fault either. I remember when Flavia had actor Craig Kelly and no matter how good a dancer and teacher she was, he just couldn't get it. It was probably her worst teaching year and, with Craig, the sad thing for him was that he didn't always see what lots of other people were seeing with his dancing, so he tended to come across as deluded at times as well. So, again, some people are just not made for certain things, no matter how hard a person that is in the know about something tries to hammer it into someone that is the complete opposite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he's not doing it for the money, the publicity or the like. I think he's been told by the BBC to do it to keep the show down with the kids.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I like Radio Scott, he's very much a big part of my radio experience during College/Uni days, along with the likes of Jo Whiley, Annie Mac, etc, that sort of generation.

Strictly Scott I don't like so much, not in the sense of the person and personality, just in the dancing sense. He is one of those people that is not 'so bad yet so funny', but simply (imo) 'so bad and only so bad'. Of course, it's not his fault, he is so far from being a natural dancer, he just isn't born with the ability, and some people are just that way... be it in anything, dancing, singing, speaking languages etc. So, I don't find him enjoyable to watch, say in the say way John Seargent or Widdy may have been more consumable in their lack of ability.

With Joanne, I don't think it's necessarily her fault either. I remember when Flavia had Craig Kelly, and no matter how good a dancer and teacher she was, he just couldn't get it. And then the sad thing for him was that he didn't always see what lots of other people were seeing with his dancing. So, again, some people are just not made for certain things, no matter how hard a person that is in the know tries to hammer it into someone that is the complete opposite.

Or, he is a brilliant dancer for the Radio. Some people just do not translate well to the screen.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then explain why he is popular. Just cause he's there makes him popular, even if he's adding nothing to the broadcast?

It's the other way around. He wouldn't be there if he weren't popular. If he added nothing to the broadcast, they'd have ditched him years ago. He's got, then held onto one of the most sought after jobs in radio for years, and Radio 1 have kept him on even though he's been a bit too old for them for several years now. He has something that appeals to their audience, thought I suspect they are grooming him for a move to Radio 2, because he can't stay much longer.

Just because you personally don't like his style, doesn't mean others don't.
    millysshaw wrote: »
    I listened to Scott on the radio on and off for years, not a avid listener but he is a good DJ in my opinion he has a good team with him on the radio and they work well together. He may not be a good dancer, but on he is a good DJ. How to explain his popularity ? I don't know, does not take himself to seriously on the radio and has been on for years at different time slots, if he was not good and listeners dropped he would have been taken of air by now. Now Greg James is some one I would love to do SCD.

Ditto.

I've not voted for Scott, and he probably should go soon, but I'm not at all surprised that he's still there. This isn't the first series of Strictly. Why are people surprised that popular people stay beyond their skill level?

So far Gregg has gone, and he was hopeless. Jennifer went, and she was struggling, so it's too early to get upset about Scott being there.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott Mills is so out of his depth as someone commented. I hope he is out next week.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, I don't 'get' Scott Mills either.

My days of listening to Radio 1 are way behind me- but he's been around long enough that at least I knew the name.

He presents 'The National Lottery' sometimes, doesn't he?

And when I saw him on that I was amazed by his complete lack of personality, or 'tv presence' I assumed he was 'playing it cool' and I was out of touch, but there doesn't seem to be anything there. Just a vacant look most of the time.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I posted this on the 1 - 5 Comments thread but my husband has lie detection/facial expression training. He doesn't really watch SCD but it's on as he is doing other things. He glanced over when Scott was at the judges then got up and came over to see better. He asked who he was then said he is displaying anger and contempt.

I thought that was an interesting observation.

Honestly I wouldn't blame him. I think Scott approached Strictly in the right way for a non-dancer, enthusiastic and eager to learn. The drubbing via production's wishes for him to be this year's comedy contestant! I would be fuming, too.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's the other way around. He wouldn't be there if he weren't popular. If he added nothing to the broadcast, they'd have ditched him years ago. He's got, then held onto one of the most sought after jobs in radio for years, and Radio 1 have kept him on even though he's been a bit too old for them for several years now. He has something that appeals to their audience, thought I suspect they are grooming him for a move to Radio 2, because he can't stay much longer.

Just because you personally don't like his style, doesn't mean others don't.

Ditto.

I've not voted for Scott, and he probably should go soon, but I'm not at all surprised that he's still there. This isn't the first series of Strictly. Why are people surprised that popular people stay beyond their skill level?

So far Gregg has gone, and he was hopeless. Jennifer went, and she was struggling, so it's too early to get upset about Scott being there.

I did not vote for Scott either. Scott will go perhaps not next week but he is a nice guy and popular and as you say it is early days yet. A lot of unskilled dancers have stayed beyond their ability and good dancers have gone in other series, that has not happened yet. But the more the judges make comments like "They saying you can teach anyone to dance does not apply to you" the more likely he is to stay in.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it. Is he a music DJ or a talk one because I can't understand how someone with absolutely no feel for music can be a any good at being music DJ unless the play list is decided by someone else.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly I wouldn't blame him. I think Scott approached Strictly in the right way for a non-dancer, enthusiastic and eager to learn. The drubbing via production's wishes for him to be this year's comedy contestant! I would be fuming, too.

To be fair so would I. If someone put me in that crab costume and expected me to make a fool of myself I would be murderous.

Anger and contempt would be my emotions exactly.

Even the choreography last night was dire. What was that at the end?
  • allitnilallitnil Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    As others have pointed out he has built up a huge fan base on Radio 1 based upon his self-deprecating and off-beat humour (search "Innuendo Bingo" on YouTube for example).

That fan base will be finding it hilarious that he is so bad and will be desperate to keep him in, encouraged by other DJs.

I have to say he makes me smile rather than cringe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allitnil wrote: »
    As others have pointed out he has built up a huge fan base on Radio 1 based upon his self-deprecating and off-beat humour (search "Innuendo Bingo" on YouTube for example).

That fan base will be finding it hilarious that he is so bad and will be desperate to keep him in, encouraged by other DJs.

I have to say he makes me smile rather than cringe.

Agree.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott's very popular and well liked, but he's getting a bit long in the tooth for a Radio 1 DJ these days, they got rid of Moyles and I wouldn't be surprised if Scott's not next.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand how someone with absolutely no feel for music can be a any good at being music DJ unless the play list is decided by someone else.

You've not worked at radio 1 then I take it?
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy suggested that he watches some of the male Pros and see how they hold themselves. Perhaps Tristan can help out in that respect, not that I want to see him again of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott's very popular and well liked, but he's getting a bit long in the tooth for a Radio 1 DJ these days, they got rid of Moyles and I wouldn't be surprised if Scott's not next.

Radio 2
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    He is excellent as a DJ on the radio and is now doing SCD as a completely novice dancer, he is not doing well at learning to dance and I have to say part of it must be put at Joanne's door, she has not GOT him at all. He is very funny on the radio when he is being himself, but it is not the sort of funny that would ever dress up as a crab.
    Going by comments this week from Tristan, the choice of the crab persona would have been foisted upon them by the producers.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    He won't be at all popular if he avoids the dance off and one of the good dancers goes out.
    But we all know from experience that something like this does happen - two capable dancers in the bottom two whilst a duffer goes through (thanks to the public vote)
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I posted this on the 1 - 5 Comments thread but my husband has lie detection/facial expression training. He doesn't really watch SCD but it's on as he is doing other things. He glanced over when Scott was at the judges then got up and came over to see better. He asked who he was then said he is displaying anger and contempt.

I thought that was an interesting observation.

Starpuss, I saw your comment on the 5 things thread and meant to reply ....

I think your husband's observation is spot on ........

I dont have any kind of training for lie detection etc, but when I was looking at Scott's face my immediate thought was , this man is very angry - rather than embarrassed as others have said.
    And, I felt his anger was not at himself for producing another abysmal performance, but serious anger at the judges for daring to speak about him in such derogatory terms.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazybabe wrote: »
    Agree with you 100% he has learned nothing and walks around looking vacant during his so called dances. As Del would say, "What a plonker" .
    Yes, he clearly isn't interested in even trying to learn. Rumour has it the Beeb 'forced' him to do this show, so maybe having to humiliate himself publicly just to keep his usual job is his excuse. However, I wonder if, like poor ghastly Judy, he needs to be kept in as he & Judy are doing a weekly 'Radio Times' column 'from the inside'. Conspiracy theory??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The judges were pretty rude.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    Darcy suggested that he watches some of the male Pros and see how they hold themselves. Perhaps Tristan can help out in that respect, not that I want to see him again of course.

I was thinking that. And perhaps an acting coach so he'd stop that bleeding trout pout of his. I feel sorry for both Scott and Joanne. I think he thought he'd be better than he actually is and I think the latter is trying so so hard, maybe to the point of desperation.

I thought Total Eclipse of The Heart was a bit of a odd song choice for an American Smooth but then again some of the song choices have been particularly dire and restricting this year. I miss the freedom of the show.

He is making improvments but I think he's the type that needs to be coddled so when not getting it he might sulk.