Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    What I shite ending. It seems that we are starting to follow the stupid American route with these shows. They wanted it to be open or they'd have shown us the body. Why did the Romanian guy get off Scott free. What a waste of 3 episodes the whole Garrett thing was.

Oh well, I'm taking credit for telling the forum who the 2 guys at the house were.
  • Options
    Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scout2006 wrote: »
    That was an excellent series. Well acted and well written.

When there isn't a body there's never really closure. Adults who lost children in the Tsunami a few years ago say they still look for them even though they know it's futile. Real life rarely ties all the loose ends up, so why should a drama series?

Agreed.
  • Options
    BL3HBL3H Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    If Tony drew that, then it still doesn't explain what on earth he's doing in Russia. The whole series was slow and very specific so to leave out what he is doing therein the first place doesn't fit in. Seems all too rushed, meanwhile they wasted 20 minutes showing Emily getting married, who is even interested in that?

He has gone mad. He cannot accept that Ollie is dead so he keeps on looking. He knows that a 'package' was moved to the far east so he goes there and looks for clues. He continually finds a boy he thinks is his son but is wrong. This gets him known by the Russian police. Maybe, though, the last boy might just have been him.
    But the show is called missing, people have come into the show wanting to find out what happened to Ollie, not what Vincent is upto or what Emily is doing today. And then on top of that to drag it out 8 episodes. Well I've learnt my lesson.

How many dramas do you watch that only focus on the main characters and treat side characters as just something to move the plot along instead of fleshing out their own stories?
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it ended the only way it could.

For most parents they will never find out what happen and especially without a body. For the mother it was enough to hear that he was dead but for the dad he couldn't let go of that glimmer of hope.
  • Options
    evidentially_obevidentially_ob Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    BL3H wrote: »
    Behave. These things are not black and white. Could you imagine having desires that you can't control and work desperately to overcome but fail? Living a horrible life, probably abused as a child? Your attitude is the kind that will stop paedo's from seeking help before they act on their desires.

hear hear BL3H
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The broken TV didn't have any relevance either, unless there was a map of Romania hidden inside which we will find out about in the end to Series 2.

Nothing had any relevance.

Absolutely nothing. It was a bloody drink driving accident and a freaking fox was to blame.

NOW WHO IN HELL WORKED OUT THAT A FOX WAS TO BLAME.

Bring back hunting....:D
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony must have been harrasing kids all over Easter Europe before he made it to Russia.
    I think Emily the wooden wife would make a better Joker than Heath Ledger, her weird mouth is the perfect shape for it!
  • Options
    Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rc999 wrote: »
    I clearly open myself up to an absolute world of abuse here. But I will say it as much as anything for the debate (and if I have missed anything that he actually did then I absolutely apologise).

'The BBC still tried to pot ray a paedophile in a sympathetic light'.

What did Vincent Bourg do wrong?

Exactly. He was trying to overcome his desires and when he couldn't he made sure he could never act on them. What is wrong with that?
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reporter, if you are referring to Malik, just knew about Tony killing Ian so was a bit of a red herring really. He knew the connection between Ian and Vincent but didn't know what happened to Olly

But he said he did.

I'm amazed how much Alain was able to say on his deathbed and in English.:o
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the series but found the end disappointing. And the lead was completely mis-cast.

I've never seen a man with smaller ears.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    I don't think so - He wouldn't still be drawing daddy big ears at age 13. I think that was drawn by a deranged Tony as he slipped further into madness.

Yep if you go n the BBC One twitter page it's confirms that he has gone mad and just won't accept Ollie's death despite the evidence.
  • Options
    Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BL3H wrote: »
    He has gone mad. He cannot accept that Ollie is dead so keep keeps on looking. He knows that a 'package' was moved to the far east so he goes there and looks for clues. He continually finds a boy he thinks is his son but is wrong. This gets him known by the Russian police. Maybe, though, the last boy might just have been him.

How many dramas do you watch that only focus on the main characters and treat side characters as just something to move the plot along instead of fleshing out their own stories?

I agree with fleshing out the character but they over did it, too much time was wasted on "fleshing" out the character, the show would have been better called "The Fleshing".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Fantastic ending. Everybody saying is Ollie dead or alive, well we're all left in limbo like his mum and dad only one thinks he's alive and the other thinks he's dead.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So was everyone's theory on here true, about Vincent actually being Molly?
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    I enjoyed the series but found the end disappointing. And the lead was completely mis-cast.

I've never seen a man with smaller ears.

Don't agree with the mis-cast bit. But the ear thing actually made me laugh out loud. What a put down lol.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Have to say this. Line of duty and endless other smart alec BBC productions bear this out

The BBC consistrently produces some of the finest television programmes in the world.Try watching French or American TV and you then may appreciate just how good the BBC is
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't watched previous episodes, I thought it could be too upsetting, but I read about it and decided to watch the final episode to find out what happened to Ollie.

Did Ollie really die? Without a body being found, how do we know for sure?

And the Russian-speaking boy looked very intently at the drawing.

Shall we ever know the answers?
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Well who put the same drawing on the window in russia, is he investigating every drawing ! Certainly not watching another series. The fella killed in the boat and paedophile had nothing to do with it, whats the point !

Same with any "whodunit"

If the whole series had only had the characters who actually did it, then there wouldn't have been much of a mystery would there.
  • Options
    evie squeezyevie squeezy Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Why did Garrett get involved and put up the reward money?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    we all have a right to have different opinions, can't we accept that some will be disappointed and some will think its the best drama ever
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Please explain to me the reason Baptiste would phone Tony....what was that all about????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So was everyone's theory on here true, about Vincent actually being Molly?

His photo appeared to show him as a boy with his mother so no.
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you all moaning about? I thought that was a fantastic ending.

It leaves more questions than it started which is the way it should be. For those of you who want a concrete ending, let your bloody imagination soar for a bit!

Maybe the 2nd series will highlight the case of another child who also ends up in Russia. From there we find out what really happened to Ollie.

Better ending than I thought it would be. Excellent stuff BBC 10/10

But we do know what happened, he is dead. The father has not accepted this and continues to search for him..... The End........the next series is a new case.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Yep if you go n the BBC One twitter page it's confirms that he has gone mad and just won't accept Ollie's death despite the evidence.

A bit sad that they have to point that out. There are plenty of hints in that episode to piece that together. It's fine to think it's rubbish but it seems pretty clear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please explain to me the reason Baptiste would phone Tony....what was that all about????

To tell him George (the mayor) had killed himself. Given his involvement, it makes sense that Baptiste felt Tony needed to know