Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doug Stanhope just gets better and better.

'Hitler did his best to help the UK and level that country flat so they could start over, like extreme country makeover, and what did the Brits do? Spat in Hitler's face and built it back, brick by brick, exactly the way it was 1100 years ago.'
    I loved the;
    They want you here, because they don't yet know that you don't tip :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Its like an half hour chuckle fest:D
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »
    Obviously done on purpose, similar to when Charle was smeared with shit and roughed up once when walking through a forest like area talking.

i was thinking it might be,,,otherwise he needs to see a Doctor:D:D
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    What was wrong with that guys eyes, he had big black rings around them:eek:........ive seen him on this before, but he never had black eyes like that

It's a running gag. Basically Barry Sh*tpeas is always getting into fights. Thus hence the bloody noses, bandaged hands and now black eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    More chuckles than laugh out loud moments, but i'll stay tuned!:D
    Forum Member
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    It's a running gag. Basically Barry Sh*tpeas is always getting into fights. Thus hence the bloody noses, bandaged hands and now black eyes.

Cheers:):)
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also like how on BBC HD they stuck a couple of Africa trailers on to try and make the programme look good and not the mockery of WW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess I was wrong about it being another You Have Been Watching type show then.

I really enjoyed that actually. There were quite a few laugh-out loud moments, particularly during Doug Stanhope's segment. The film review chat thing with Richard Osman and Susan Calman about Django Unchained felt a bit out of place I thought. But apart from that, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. :)
  • MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    . The film review chat thing with Richard Osman and Susan Calman about Django Unchained felt a bit out of place I thought. But apart from that, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. :)

Yes, I thought it was a bit pointless (ahem). Maybe if there was a week in which they were struggling to find topical material the discussion would fill up more of the show.

But it great to see Charlie Brooker back doing what he does best. I still think the programme should be called Omni-wipe!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty good opener.

Except for the Film 2013 bit.
    I don't care what Richard Osman and the lady with him think of Django. Save that for some other film review TV show.

Still pretty good overall though. I loved Barry Shitpeas and Philomena Cunk talking about 'Africa'. That was very funny.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Not his best, but i still enjoyed it a lot. Could have done without the film discussion bit however.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. However I'm not keen on the 'review with celebs' segment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Agree with the consensus, had a good laugh watching but to be critical, the stop-for-a-chat segment needs axing.
    jcafcw wrote: »
    That public information film on how to survive a massacre was scary as was the little girl with customised guns. Why?

Is US News really that desperate they have to discuss a non-issue such as if Beyonce was miming?
    It's not like our news in any better - the endless talk (which usually amounts to glorified gossip) about Royalty is equivalent, with it even making into Question Time tonight.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title made me laugh. :o
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely quoting Twitter ( or taking the pee out of "Splash") to get a laugh is scraping the barrel? The Africa section fell completely flat.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent can't wait. And black mirror starts soon as well.

Loved Wipe, love Brooker and can't get enough of him but I hated Black Mirror - the thought of that pig episode still turns my stomach, and my humour is well at the darker end of the scale!
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that little girl will be a good COD player once she's old enough to start shooting imaginary guns.
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laughed out loud at "Quick, it poses no threat - kill it! Hero!"
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Surely quoting Twitter ( or taking the pee out of "Splash") to get a laugh is scraping the barrel? The Africa section fell completely flat.

I agree with you about Twitter (and the Mail Online stuff) - if he was quoting celebrities' tweets it might be o.k., but making fun of random people's tweets / posts was pointless. I think Robert Webb did something like that a couple of years ago on a programme called "Robert's Web" which was something of a flop.

I did enjoy most of this programme but had to laugh at the announcer warning us that it would contain "adult humour" since most of Charlie Brooker's jokes are more on the childish side!
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member

Aye, for years CB might have well has just lifted the unfunny obvious posts from the many even unfunnier Brooker wannabes on the internet for all his unoriginality in stating the obvious, that is his target audience anyway.

The show over Christmas should have been titled 'What unfunny people have been saying on internet forums over the year'

Turned off at the Twitter part, sneering at others for doing exactly the same thing himself. If only the twitter posts had the foresight to end with a 'F88K off' or added a blowing a raspberry whilst sticking up the 'Vs' smilie then it would have been so smart and clever.

At least TV Burp knew it was dumb.:)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this. It's always good to see Charlie back on our screens and taking a swipe at crap and absurdity (pink rifles for 5 year olds! Sorry Doug Stanhope, but I don't care how nice the US reallly is. I'm not going anywhere near it while they think it's a good idea for pre-school kids to carry lethal weapons).

I agree that the panel discussion about Django was a bit pointless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked it, loved the Africa bit.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One can never take the piss out of Twitter and Splash enough - they represent everything that is wrong with Britain today and of course it was hilarious because most of us know exactly how crap they are, but still watch/use them. (Not Twitter in my case I hasten to add).

Personally I thought the Africa bit was hysterical. There's obviously no people in Africa, why are we sending them money? PMSL!

Great show as usual, Charlie. :D:D:D
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe Splash was originally a foreign TV show.

Can't ITV do anything original?
    Do you know anything about television?

Most entertainment formats are international, if they're doing well in one country for the right price a broadcaster would be silly not to pick it up.

In terms of creating new formats, ITV probably creates or is the first commission more formats that do well in both the UK and internationally than any other broadcaster.

Stuff that has done well internationally originally airing on ITV includes

Pop Idol,
    The X Factor,
    The Chase,
    The Cube,
    Downton Abbey,
    TV Burp,

Those are the big recent big shows I can think of.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally hate the Doug Stanhope segments, but last nights was very funny.