Why is SKY so greedy and mean ?

tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why after you have paid for a sky+ box by joining the service and even after years of being a customer when you stop they switch off the recordable part of the box yet with other companies you get a box the fully works like ondigital/ Itv digital / top up tv/ BT / Talk Talk youview boxes / old type of sky boxes ????

They have shown the mean side again and that will try to get you resigned as soon as possible by switching software off on the box and knowing when you miss the control of recording and freezing shows you may come back .... dirty tricks

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the recording function is treated as a chargeable service, thus if you cancel you no longer are paying for that service.

you can, of course, should you wish, pay for just the recording functions.

of course, you could just go and buy another box that records for free.
    it's your choice, you're not being forced to do anything.
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the software belongs to Sky and the Sky+ feature has always been classed as a subscription service in order to avoid the high import tax on pvrs.
  • maninthemaskmaninthemask Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Unless you're into sport (football, cricket) I can't think why anyone would pay the mad amount that sky costs? These days there is so many different and cheaper alternatives . get yourself a freesat box ...it,s a great feeling being out of sky,s clutches , take it from me:p
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If sky is calling it a service then why is there no price for just that on there site as I can only see that you have to re join them and have 12 month contact with TV package ?
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you're into sport (football, cricket) I can't think why anyone would pay the mad amount that sky costs? These days there is so many different and cheaper alternatives . get yourself a freesat box ...it,s a great feeling being out of sky,s clutches , take it from me:p

The majority of Sky subscribers do not subscribe to sport!

The majority of Sky subscribers do not subscribe to movies!

As a Freesat fan rather than troll this forum why not contribute to the dearth of posting on the Freesat forums. The lack of posting on those forums is only matching by the lack of new customers buying freesat equipment... :p
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    If sky is calling it a service then why is there no price for just that on there site as I can only see that you have to re join them and have 12 month contact with TV package ?

It's on every subscribers bill not that you would know!

If Sky dropped the charge Freesat meagre uptake would drop to zero... :o
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    ds_reader wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I read a couple of years ago that Sky had over 6m subscribers to the sports channels when it had about 8 or 9 million subscribers total.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My telly takes both freeview and freesat without the need for a separate box, and I record via usb onto an external hard-drive. Of course I can't get Sky, but wondered if there were any TV sets out there which you can get sky* on without box (assuming you subscribe!), and, if so, can you record those paid-for programmes on to your own external hard drive?

*Not counting internet-provided Sky eg Now - just the satellite version.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a EU PVR tax dodge.

In order to get the boxes into the EU from China without paying EU PVR taxes they have sky have managed to get them classified as a communications device. If they just worked as a PVR with no subscription well they'd technically be a PVR and Sky would be liable for a big Tax bill.

It's also why we do't tend to find TV's with a HDD built in, but rather have the option to add our own USB HDD to add that functionality.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    It's a EU PVR tax dodge.

In order to get the boxes into the EU from China without paying EU PVR taxes they have sky have managed to get them classified as a communications device. If they just worked as a PVR with no subscription well they'd technically be a PVR and Sky would be liable for a big Tax bill.

It's also why we do't tend to find TV's with a HDD built in, but rather have the option to add our own USB HDD to add that functionality.

It is a tax dodge that many EU companies have used (including Humax) by either importing PVRs wittthout HDDs fitted and ither fitting them in the EU or selling them as PVR ready and expecting the customer to fit their own or add it via USB etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    My telly takes both freeview and freesat without the need for a separate box, and I record via usb onto an external hard-drive. Of course I can't get Sky, but wondered if there were any TV sets out there which you can get sky* on without box (assuming you subscribe!).

There was one or two TV sets with Sky built in, but that was in about the year 2000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a tax dodge that many EU companies have used (including Humax) by either importing PVRs wittthout HDDs fitted and ither fitting them in the EU or selling them as PVR ready and expecting the customer to fit their own or add it via USB etc.

Sounds like they may not need to do it anymore: http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2011/04/14/pvrs-to-be-exempt-from-european-custom-duties/
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoy most of my programmes on channels unavailable on freesat, and im not into sport so theres a reason to subscribe.

Its free with a TV Subscription or £10/11 without, thats why you wouldn't see a price!
  • racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    ds_reader wrote: »

The majority of Sky subscribers do not subscribe to movies!

As a Freesat fan rather than troll this forum why not contribute to the dearth of posting on the Freesat forums. The lack of posting on those forums is only matching by the lack of new customers buying freesat equipment... :p
    Where have you got the figures for the number of Sky sports and movies subscribers?
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I enjoy most of my programmes on channels unavailable on freesat, and im not into sport so theres a reason to subscribe.

Its free with a TV Subscription or £10/11 without, thats why you wouldn't see a price!

where is that put on the site then ?

So if they are charging £10/11 without a TV package and a TV package is £10/11 with sky+ service free, then were is the value of both so called services then ?

As said it must be a tax con as TV package is over priced or sky+ is or less UK taxes for sky ( another large company not paying real taxes yet we have the lowest company taxes in the world .. Shame on the company and our MPs )
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,468
    Forum Member
    where is that put on the site then ?

It's not - it's an unlisted 'feature' where you can only downgrade to it, you can't take it out without previously having a subscription (and even then it's rare to find a CS who's heard of it).

So if they are charging £10/11 without a TV package and a TV package is £10/11 with sky+ service free, then were is the value of both so called services then ?

Minimum programme subscription is £21.50, no one suggested only £10/11 - that's for recording only.

As said it must be a tax con as TV package is over priced or sky+ is or less UK taxes for sky ( another large company not paying real taxes yet we have the lowest company taxes in the world .. Shame on the company and our MPs )

No 'con' at all, you've confused the figures - the 'loophole' is that as recording requires a subscription it's not classed as a PVR for import purposes, so avoids high EU taxation.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Stuff ive blurred off is for privacy reasons but if you were an actual subscriber, you'd see listed in your bill as the following.
    http://oi61.tinypic.com/2zf5r90.jpg
    Its free with your sub, but if you don't subscribe, it a paid-for feature!
    (Alan also claims to be a VM Tivo subscriber and a BT Youview subscriber according to his profile WITH Freeview HD & Freesat HD....)
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    How about wanting a wider range of HD channels than Freesat provides? That's why I signed up. It didn't take long to add Sports on, because my kids fancied it and it's not much more expensive than having to take them to the pub a few times per month to see a match. And the clincher is that £60 isn't a mad amount of money for a large number of people. In what way could £60 be more beneficial than having easy access to channels that we as a family want to watch in comfort, if that £60 is nowhere near to being a dent in the finances?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    How about wanting a wider range of HD channels than Freesat provides? That's why I signed up. It didn't take long to add Sports on, because my kids fancied it and it's not much more expensive than having to take them to the pub a few times per month to see a match. And the clincher is that £60 isn't a mad amount of money for a large number of people. In what way could £60 be more beneficial than having easy access to channels that we as a family want to watch in comfort, if that £60 is nowhere near to being a dent in the finances?

Indeed. Add up the cost for two or three people to go to a home Premiership football match every other week and a couple of trips to the cinema or a theatre twice a month, adding the cost of fuel and car parking and a monthly Sky subscription does not look that bad in comparison.
  • maninthemaskmaninthemask Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Sport I can understand because where else are you gonna get it. But movies ?? Give me a break, sky are so late with there premiere's . there almost golden oldies be the time they show them
  • wolfman999wolfman999 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Greedy and mean? It's a business not a charity. Grow up.
  • missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »

a wider range of HD channels than Freesat provides. yes they do but how many are just SD upscaling so you are paying for what you think you are getting, hope you still think that's its worth it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a wider range of HD channels than Freesat provides. yes they do but how many are just SD upscaling so you are paying for what you think you are getting, hope you still think that's its worth it

wondered how long it would take for this person to chime in.
  • missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    wolfman999 wrote: »
    Greedy and mean? It's a business not a charity. Grow up.

I think the op is right with the first statement but not with the second :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the op is right with the first statement but not with the second :D

so they aren't a business then?