Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS update - UK

Comments

• Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DESIDODO wrote: »
    I'm on Vodafone and I updated my phone using Kies last night.

Done re update via Kies, I thought there was face recognition to unlock, can't seem to find it, anyone help please?

Steve
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen93 wrote: »
    Done re update via Kies, I thought there was face recognition to unlock, can't seem to find it, anyone help please?

Steve

if the carriers haven't removed it, its Setttings->Security->Screen lock.

Better than I thought it would be, recognition is a bit hit and miss, but for someone like me that found a lock a bit of a pain anyway, its a handy low-inconvenience option. Would be nice to turn it off at night though, I think you need root to let apps turn it off.
  • RobertfltnRobertfltn Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    FraserGJ wrote: »
    Just installed this on my S2

All seems good - very classy, would've liked the option to enable more of the ICS UI and less of Touchwiz though...

Whats with the bundled demo games though? Got 3 demos, luckily can uninstall them through Settings > Applications > Uninstall.

Also the "Tiny" font option is gone from email :(

Download an app called NOVA Launcher that will make the phone look 90% like stock ICS.- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS50ZXNsYWNvaWxzdy5sYXVuY2hlciJd

If you want it to be even more like ICS download ICS Icons and NOVA will let you change the Icons- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kov.theme.ics&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImtvdi50aGVtZS5pY3MiXQ..

If you change them all your phone will look exactly like stock ICS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orange just updated their twitter to say it will be rolled out tomorrow via Kies.
    Hi all, the Samsung Galaxy SII Ice Cream Sandwich update will be rolled out from tomorrow via Kies. ^Steve

Link: https://twitter.com/#!/OrangeHelpers/status/192940576423944192
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Robertfltn wrote: »
    Download an app called NOVA Launcher that will make the phone look 90% like stock ICS.-

Snipped

I much prefer Apex, but they do the same job.
  • FraserGJFraserGJ Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfltn wrote: »
    Download an app called NOVA Launcher that will make the phone look 90% like stock ICS.- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS50ZXNsYWNvaWxzdy5sYXVuY2hlciJd

If you want it to be even more like ICS download ICS Icons and NOVA will let you change the Icons- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kov.theme.ics&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImtvdi50aGVtZS5pY3MiXQ..

If you change them all your phone will look exactly like stock ICS.

Yeah thought about going down that route before - but haven't done so - experimented with Go Launcher EX before as well.

Found installable versions of a few ICS stock apps, including the launcher itself here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1587408 - might be worth a spin... might give it a go myself tonight
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your best bet is to use Apex Launcher as it doesn't require you to have to install seperate icon packs etc. It is excellent and works like a charm - so quick as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I'm hearing the battery life on the S2 running 4.0.3 is significantly worse than GB 2.3.4. Has anyone experienced significant / noticeable battery drain since installing ICS?
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope - if anything I'd say it's a bit better than before.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    BasilQT wrote: »
    I'm hearing the battery life on the S2 running 4.0.3 is significantly worse than GB 2.3.4. Has anyone experienced significant / noticeable battery drain since installing ICS?

It doesnt seem to be any better in use. In standby however battery is much better.

ICS has performance enhancements apparently but i think these have a impact.

The battery falls like a stone on graphically taxing games etc. But that too was just like before.
  • Jakatta75Jakatta75 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    coolmark18 wrote: »
    Orange just updated their twitter to say it will be rolled out tomorrow via Kies.

Link: https://twitter.com/#!/OrangeHelpers/status/192940576423944192

So much for Orange rolling out ICS today!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakatta75 wrote: »
    So much for Orange rolling out ICS today!!

that Twitter post is from Yesterday which means the new firmware will be rolled out today
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Your best bet is to use Apex Launcher as it doesn't require you to have to install seperate icon packs etc. It is excellent and works like a charm - so quick as well.

I'm now using Apex launcher - only problem I've had is portrait wallpapers get zoomed in and therefore don't display correctly.

Also shame about the Widget drawer not working unless you're rooted and Apex is installed as system app. You can hide it in the settings though so its not constantly there even though you can't use it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    So, can I ask how the update via Kies works?

Does it automatically download and install an update, as I can't find a update button anywhere on the Kies page.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having a few issues, generally I think the battery life is worse than it was but it's hard to tell.
    Mine seems to be a bit slower than it was and I've had a few crashes since ICS, something which I'd never had before.

There's almost nothing in ICS that I consider an improvement over how it was before. The only thing that seems to have improved is the speech recognition, but even that's subjective.

Realistically, I can't see what the fuss is about, may as well have stayed on GB.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, can I ask how the update via Kies works?

Does it automatically download and install an update, as I can't find a update button anywhere on the Kies page.

Install Kies on your PC, connect your phone to your pc, once recognized it will tell you what phone OS you have and what is available to update to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleek wrote: »
    that Twitter post is from Yesterday which means the new firmware will be rolled out today

Yeah - unless you have the NFC version their twitter account has now said. ****ing useless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coolmark18 wrote: »
    Yeah - unless you have the NFC version their twitter account has now said. ****ing useless.
    what a shower they have become recently. I know a lot of people have always thought so but until recently I had no complaints about Orange but in the last month they've been utter shite. :mad:
    As it happens I'm not overly bothered about the update, its just that they seem totally incompetant at the moment.
  • Jakatta75Jakatta75 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    ICS is now available from Orange, via Kies. Just updated my S2.
    Agree 100% with Justabloke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hmm...I'm not wholly convinced official ICS firmware is all that. I think I may flash Resurrection Remix (Pro or vanilla - not decided yet) - supposed to be a mix of CM9+official firmware+others. Its had rave reviews. Anyone tried this ROM?
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I can't seem to get predictive text anymore, unless I'm doing something wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I can't seem to get predictive text anymore, unless I'm doing something wrong

When I installed ICS it changed the default keyboard from Swype back to the default Samsung one.

You can go into the notification bar while the keyboard is open to change it back...
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm...I'm not wholly convinced official ICS firmware is all that. I think I may flash Resurrection Remix (Pro or vanilla - not decided yet) - supposed to be a mix of CM9+official firmware+others. Its had rave reviews. Anyone tried this ROM?

Just try CM9 first i've not had any issues at all. Did a clean install and I have no reason to change or try other mixed up versions. CM9 and all the roms will have parts from official in them to work in the first place.