Options

Prometheus - Ridley Scotts Alien Prequel

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this film only in 3D? The odeon website is only listing 3D version for my local cinema.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, it's in 2D too.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    im nearly 30 and never seen any of the alien films,think i will watch prometheous first and then watch the original trilogy,or was it 4?
    Yes, there are 4 in the trilogy! ;)
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    Alien Resurrection
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im nearly 30 and never seen any of the alien films,think i will watch prometheous first and then watch the original trilogy,or was it 4?

Four, but IMO only the first two are any good.

Alien 3 is "OK". The "Assembly Cut" is better, but it's still not a great film.

Alien Resurrection (the 4th film) is... shite :(

Just watch Alien and Aliens...
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the director will expect most of the audience to have seen Alien, so it might be worth watching that one first.
  • Options
    theshadowtheshadow Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "A king has his reign, and then he dies"

Has anyone any theories on what this opening line in the trailer might refer to?
    Who is saying the line? Its not Noomi. Is it Charlize?
    And who is the 'king' in the trailer? Is it Holloway?

Any thoughts Prometheus fans? It has me baffled.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

Just watch Alien and Aliens...

I only ever watched the first two myself, was put off the third film by the fact that it was obvious they basically tossed away the very satisfactory resolution to the second film in ten seconds flat. Nothing I've heard about the later films since has made me change my gut instinct that I don't want to go there.

I am quite looking forward to Prometheus though..:)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Probably the director will expect most of the audience to have seen Alien, so it might be worth watching that one first.

its a prequel though no? or at least a part prequel,im sure it will explain itself to new viewers
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Interesting lead article on this in the last Sunday Times Culture magazine. According to Scott, only the last seven minutes of it provide a direct link to Alien. Maybe a leg-pull, but enticing indeed.

The R & 15 ratings are a surprise too. Given that it cost $200m and is Fox's only big summer opener apart from Ice Age 4. Here's hoping it all pays off.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read online that the Glasgow Science Centre IMAX won't show anything above a 'family movies'. Sucks. :( Nothing is stopping them doing night time showings when the museum is shut. I suppose when local government fund something they don't really care about having to make money.
  • Options
    theshadowtheshadow Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting lead article on this in the last Sunday Times Culture magazine. According to Scott, only the last seven minutes of it provide a direct link to Alien. Maybe a leg-pull, but enticing indeed.

The R & 15 ratings are a surprise too. Given that it cost $200m and is Fox's only big summer opener apart from Ice Age 4. Here's hoping it all pays off.

Yes I have to agree. Its a big gamble that I hope pays off. If it does, it will pave the way for more R rated blockbusters and not the watered down crap we've had to endure in recent years.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmm, I have read very different accounts of the budget, apparently Fox liked Damon Lindelof revision and rewrite of John Spaits (correct spelling, prob not) draft because it was much more budget conscious, I read Scott, originally wanted the kinda figure, spoken of but this request was rejected
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member

Nope, 'only' $100 to $150 Million -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_%28film%29
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    By the time it's released we'd have seen all but a few minutes of the film as the amount of trailers stuck back to back just about show the whole film!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a prequel though no? or at least a part prequel,im sure it will explain itself to new viewers
    I'm sure it will too, but judging from the trailers there will be a lot that will resonate more if you've seen the original.

Also, even if the prequel only links in the last few minutes, I suspect it will effectively spoil Alien. Alien is a great film. Much of its suspense is due to the mystery, so it is best seen cold. Even the trailers for Prometheus show enough to spoil it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ I imagine it'll be as much concerned with being the first in a new franchise of SF/Horror films as it is with connecting to Alien. Sequels are already being spoken of, should Prometheus warrant it.

Some confusion over the budget then. The Prometheus forum have it down somewhere between $150m - $200m, so I guess no-one really knows.

Perhaps studios are now being a bit coy about this sort of thing after the John Carter fiasco :D
  • Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the time it's released we'd have seen all but a few minutes of the film as the amount of trailers stuck back to back just about show the whole film!

This!

Plus there is so much you can gather from analysing the freeze frames and noticing little details, I feel like I know the whole story already.

Of course it's my own fault for looking :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The overriding feeling I get from the trailer is that it's a bit rubbish. Purely as a gut reaction.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    The overriding feeling I get from the trailer is that it's a bit rubbish. Purely as a gut reaction.
    I've seen a couple of trailers at the cinema over the weeks now, and I feel the opposite....the last time, this afternoon, it was......emotional.
    I can't wait.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to stop myself watching the trailers from now on, so hopefully when I see the film I'll be going in relatively cold, at this point though I must have heard the "It's not a map, it's an invitation" (or whatever it is) line about 57 times.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Shizuku wrote: »
    This!

Plus there is so much you can gather from analysing the freeze frames and noticing little details, I feel like I know the whole story already.

Of course it's my own fault for looking :cry:

There is some you can garner fron the trailers, but not everything. I reckon the writers have looked to the comics for inspiration- the story involving the navigators had a pretty good twist which i reckon will be in the film maybe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ Agree. Don't think we've seen everything just yet.

The trailers do seem to be showing a great deal, but nothing about them says R-rated.

Fox played it clever with 'Apes last year, and may well have done the same here.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundtrack has leaked, tracklisting has some interesting titles.....
    01. A Planet
    02. Going In
    03. Engineers
    04. Life
    05. Weyland
    06. Discovery
    07. Not Human
    08. Too Close
    09. Try Harder
    10. David
    11. Hammerpede
    12. We Were Right