Options

Independence Day Resurgence

MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
Forum Member
Anyone looking forward to seeing this?

I will be but not sure what I will think, the Trailer doesn't wow me but I'm curious enough to go and see it

Comments

• Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit Meh to be honest. It's come too many years too late.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might give it a watch when it's on Sky.
    I just can't motivate myself to go and watch it in the cinema. Nothing really of interest cinema-wise until Suicide Squad for me.
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I am hoping to go see this on Sunday.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Didn't even realise it's on this weekend.

Had this marked down as a retro-reboot biggie a la Jurassic World, but the buzz seems to have flatlined. Fox dropped the PR ball?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made the mistake of seeing the first one at the cinema...will not be repeating the same mistake.
  • Options
    under_scoreunder_score Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Made the mistake of seeing the first one at the cinema...will not be repeating the same mistake.
    Yes it was a horrible cliche ridden film, very poor.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    The 1st one's problem was it was (like many films these days) all about America. At the time I loved it as I was 20 years younger but now I can see through every scene and its hard to watch

I think this one will be slightly worse but the curiosity is getting the better of me
  • Options
    Hank SchraderHank Schrader Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Aliens have upgraded their anti-virus software on their computers before this new invasion? ;-)
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the Aliens have upgraded their anti-virus software on their computers before this new invasion?
    No doubt we've got better viruses to present them with too.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the Aliens have upgraded their anti-virus software on their computers before this new invasion? ;-)

Maybe, perhaps they'll install ransomware this time.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    They've waited too long imo. This will be an epic flop.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    The 1st one's problem was it was (like many films these days) all about America. At the time I loved it as I was 20 years younger but now I can see through every scene and its hard to watch

I think this one will be slightly worse but the curiosity is getting the better of me

I completely agree with you, except I don't feel any curiosity on this one. Just can't get interested.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    They'd better hope it doesn't. According to Screendaily they want a new franchise out of this - an 'ID universe' has been bandied around for sequels etc.

It should do well internationally (apparently it's targeting eastern markets strongly), but in the US it's only set to open below Finding Dory's 2nd weekend. Back in '96, ID4 made $307m in the US ($469m in today's money). Blockbusters play a different game these days.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    So has anyone actually seen it yet? Its been out since midnight and is showing everywhere today. usually with these big openings some early reviews start to come in by now. I watched the original again last night. Really looking forward now to seeing the sequel. Seems to be on multiple screens at cinemas so they must be expecting it to do well.
  • Options
    SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was a horrible cliche ridden film, very poor.

I hadn't seen this thread before starting one of my own, thus:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2158582

Agree to all above anyway!
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh joy...a whole movie of cities being destroyed in glorious CGI...we really needed that...
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    So has anyone actually seen it yet?
    I haven't seen it, but I wasn't really planning too. I have read the plot though, and it's pretty much a more explosive, more expensive version of Falling Skies.

In short;
    An alien probe (of unknown origin) is encountered and shot down (to Earth). Shortly after a rather large Alien space ship turns up and lands ON the Atlantis ocean. An invasion is launched, people (and aliens) die, that Doctor has been in a 20 year coma and awakens with a load of alien knowledge. We defeat the alien Queen and their big ship retreats. We later learn that the probe was sent by a second alien species that are/were also at war with our invaders, and that they'd like for us to join them in their fight against the aggressors, and that they'll provide us with the technology to do so.

Independence Day 3, it is implied, will be us, in space ships, heading toward the invading aliens homeworld with the intent to wipe them out.
    It all sounds quite shite if I'm honest. It's all been done before, and Resurgence is just an explosive CGI blockbuster without much thought.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from watching it. After seeing the trailers I wasexpecting a darker film than the first one but in reality the tone was much the same.

Pretty enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about to go see it. I've only seen the 1st film once and I didn't even see the ending, so I hope that doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the film. At least I like Jeff Goldblum enough that I'll probably be entertained regardless.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in tears at time to how funny it was, it was the most funny film I have seen in years!. Absolutely hilarious and full of cheese and cringe. So cheesy you could top up a hundred pizzas with the cheese.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it and I actually really enjoyed it. Preferred it to what I remember of the first tbh.
  • Options
    rybedrybed Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    The first was boring, I'm surprised they bothered for the second part.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's tanked BIG time in the US ..
    Thursday evening results for the weekend's new releases are rolling in and topping the list is Fox's Independence Day: Resurgence with $4 million from approximately 3,200 locations. The number includes the double-bill screenings of the first Independence Day along with screenings of the sequel, with the first screenings of Resurgence taking place at 8PM.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4200&p=.htm
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    It's tanked BIG time in the US ..

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4200&p=.htm

I don't usually quote myself but when you're right, you're right :cool::kitty::p
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I've seen ID4 2 which is a 3 stars film.Plot is predictable but the action scenes were a let down especially as most have been seen in the trailer!

Good to see some of the old cast back but some of the new cast especially Will Smith character son were bland although I liked the African warlord.

Worth a watch to judge for yourself though!

Although the end of it does set up a 3rd film if it makes enough money worldwide