Please recommend a beginner auto car?

Comments

• AjPortillo93AjPortillo93 Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    They can be a trifle brusque at times, but they were correct to point out that you had unnecessarily limited yourself (and anyone who might comment) with respect to the vehicles that are an option for you.

Hopefully the full complement of usual petrolheads will be along soon with their normal informative comments.

I had honestly felt I've given myself a good range, i just dont want a medium car or large. It's literally preference thats all :). I had orginally weeks ago only 2 choices and had never bothered to look at anything so for myself achieving looking at 10+ options is really good. I'm pretty happy with the selection :)
    Forum Member
    Anyway, i feel this topic and post is going off point. from the selection i've given any personal recommendations or from the list you've drove that you think are nice?

thanks,
    aj :D
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, i feel this topic and post is going off point. from the selection i've given any personal recommendations or from the list you've drove that you think are nice?

thanks,

Fiesta...just because of the ecoboost power plant.
  • tbluexxtbluexx Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should just go and at least *look* at medium to large cars? I just can't see you or your passengers getting the comfort you seek from a small car.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Fiesta...just because of the ecoboost power plant.

I do think the Fiesta is a great little car with the ecoboost engine and very fun to drive however I personally feel it has a very small boot and the SYNC system used in the higher spec models in my opinion does not feel that good to use.
    Forum Member
    tbluexx wrote: »
    Maybe you should just go and at least *look* at medium to large cars? I just can't see you or your passengers getting the comfort you seek from a small car.

I will go look, if it makes everybody happy. in all honesty its 98% of the time myself and my partner. So you think ford focus and i think it was a citroen? sorry my mind is everywhere at the moment. ill go to a dealership next week and take a look.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thanks,
    Well my limited experience points to the toyota hybrid.

You mention Cornwall and hills, so I would look for the most bhp you can get
    (Where's David(2) when you need him ?)
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    They can be a trifle brusque at times, but they were correct to point out that you had unnecessarily limited yourself (and anyone who might comment) with respect to the vehicles that are an option for you.

A trifle brusque? Moi? Anyway, you're quite right to point out that I was correct.
    (Where's David(2) when you need him ?)

You mean David(2) aka "I'm so in love with my Polo that I think of little else"?

What do you think he will recommend?
    Forum Member
    Listen Yosemite, i'm only here because i need advise, i've had allot of nice help from people. It's hard for me to put across in words what im always after as my brain is moving ten to the dozen every minute. However, sitting here know just getting fustrated with me just seems a bit unfair.

I had only pointed it it didn't feel very helpful, which i was welcomed to do as you had pointed you i had no knowledge of cars and clearly making no effort. If that was the case then what would be the point in me being here trying desperately to get help from other people as people older than myself know allot more than I ever will. I appreciated the car suggestions, i really did - what i didn't appreciate was assuming im not trying which from this very post i am trying to find answers.

I had already spent a considerable amount of time on this, but if you would of asked me i would of happily told you i've spent many many many hours looking into this. People have always assumed things of me throughout life without first talking to me. But pointing out the obvious to me "no car knowledge" and "put more effort in" when im showing both felt hurtful to me. I tried not saying anything nasty or hurtful back and figured you'd go on your way.

Please leave it now, i'm trying to get advise from lovely great people as i struggle all this information that dealers put to me so im here from everyday citizens to explain what they feel in their experience is ideal.

I will indeed - it's abundantly clear that I'm wasting my time here.

Good luck with your health issues.
    Forum Member
    Has anybody tried the vw golf ? Seems i can get that and it looks nice, engine power and size.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok here i am....

3 types of automatic transmission.
    Automated. These are VW group cars with DSG auto and ford power shift. They feature an automated manual gearbox which u drive like a regular automatic. They have a twin clutch system so the next gear can engage near instantly (in theory). Good on fuel - similar to the same car with a manual gearbox, and they feel like a manual car on the open road - no delay in power reaching the wheels. But they are expensive and complicated. They can and do go wrong. They are also not that clever in town traffic...if your used to one of the other types of automatic it will take a little while to get used to this sort of thing. If u drive for economy in town it seems it's gets even more dim witted at times. Cheaper versions such as the VW ASG and others have just a single automated clutch, and are therefore best avoided.

Cvt belt drive. As the name suggests, a belt drive system. Very fuel efficient, and smooth in traffic. More simple than the automated systems, less to go wrong, less wear and tear. A good town car option, but might feel a bit lacking or unresponsive on the open road....a sort of delay between the revs going up and the road speed catching up.

Traditional torque converter. Planetary gearing delivering power thru a torque converter. The original American type system. The most mature design of all 3, most reliable, a compromise in many ways between the other systems, it does have gears but they don't really work in the sense of a manual car or a automated transmission. More responsive than cvt, but less responsive than automated twin clutch. Fuel economy is usually lower, tho some now featuring 6 speeds may solve some of that issue. Very much a safe bet solution for mixed driving situations and longevity.

Thing is, as others have noted, you might well need a slightly bigger engine, or a turbo charged one. If your carrying extra people, stuff, dogs, etc, often. I have the non turbo 1.4 polo (current model, 85ps) with the VW automated 7spd twin clutch dsg. You do notice when your hauling extra weight around. A turbo version would solve that (TSi), but there's more to go wrong.
    With all VW group (skoda, seat, Audi) cars you will be using their automated dsg system. Very crisp and quick on the open roads. Not brilliant in town. If your main place to drive is in town, I would avoid such systems. They are also very complicated and lots to go wrong (and they do go wrong). You can't have a diesel auto polo btw, I don't know about the skoda/seat/Audi range. Obviously if you get a Golf......a turbo diesel dsg auto is very appealing and very comfy and with bags of power and more space. Btw, ford powershift is essentially the same, automated twin clutch system.

In your senario I would be looking first at the Honda Jazz 1.3 petrol auto and the latest Nissan note, 1.2 petrol turbo auto. Both have belt drive cvt automatic transmission. Much less hassle and stress in the system than dsg type systems. Ideal in down, but a bit lack luster on the open road. These sorts of car are designed for what you describe, a bit bigger, a bit more power (though not in the case of the Honda Jazz), easy to get in and out.

The other type of automatic system is the traditional torque converter system. Very reliable, more responsive than the belt drive cvt, but not as responsive as a dsg. Usually uses more fuel....latest petrol 2015 corsa 1.4 non-turbo has a 6spd version of this which should cure some of the economy issue....I will certainly be looking at this car my self later on. I don't know, but maybe the Astra and zafira use the same transmission....tho they have had lots of problems with the new zafira catching fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok here i am....

1. Automated.
    These are VW group cars with DSG auto and ford power shift. They feature an automated manual gearbox which u drive like a regular automatic. They have a twin clutch system so the next gear can engage near instantly (in theory). Good on fuel - similar to the same car with a manual gearbox, and they feel like a manual car on the open road - no delay in power reaching the wheels. But they are expensive and complicated. They can and do go wrong. They are also not that clever in town traffic...if your used to one of the other types of automatic it will take a little while to get used to this sort of thing. If u drive for economy in town it seems it's gets even more dim witted at times - I don't actually recommend these for people who spend the vast majority of their time in traffic. Cheaper versions such as the VW ASG and others have just a single automated clutch, and are therefore best avoided.

2. Cvt belt drive.
    As the name suggests, a belt drive system. Very fuel efficient, and smooth in traffic. More simple than the automated systems, less to go wrong, less wear and tear. A good town car option, but might feel a bit lacking or unresponsive on the open road....a sort of delay between the revs going up and the road speed catching up.

3. Traditional torque converter.
    Planetary gearing delivering power thru a torque converter. The original American type system. The most mature design of all 3, most reliable, a compromise in many ways between the other systems, it does have gears but they don't really work in the sense of a manual car or a automated transmission. More responsive than cvt, but less responsive than automated twin clutch. Fuel economy is usually lower, tho some now featuring 6 speeds may solve some of that issue. No problems in town traffic. Very much a safe bet solution for mixed driving situations and longevity.

Thing is, as others have noted, you might well need a slightly bigger engine, or a turbo charged one. If your carrying extra people, stuff, dogs, etc, often. I have the non turbo 1.4 polo (current model, 85ps) with the VW automated 7spd twin clutch dsg. You do notice when your hauling extra weight around. A turbo version would solve that (TSi), but there's more to go wrong with the turbo version.
    With all VW group (skoda, seat, Audi) cars you will be using their automated dsg system - with the advantages and disadvantages mentioned above. You can't have a diesel auto polo btw, I don't know about the skoda/seat/Audi range. Obviously if you get a Golf (or golf Plus - a bigger golf) a turbo diesel dsg auto is very appealing and very comfy and with bags of power and more space. Btw, ford powershift is essentially the same, automated twin clutch system, so again same for and against points,

In your senario I would be looking first at the Honda Jazz 1.3 petrol auto and the latest Nissan note, 1.2 petrol turbo auto. Both have belt drive cvt automatic transmission. Much less hassle and stress in the system than automated type systems. Ideal in down, but a bit lack luster on the open road. These sorts of car are designed for what you describe, a bit bigger, a bit more power (though not in the case of the Honda Jazz- no turbo option on the Jazz, and only 1 engine size), easy to get in and out.

Petrol 2015 corsa 1.4 non-turbo has a 6spd version of a traditional automatic gearbox, being 6spd should cure some of the economy issue....I will certainly be looking at this car my self later on. I don't know, but maybe the Astra and zafira use the same transmission....tho they have had lots of problems with the new zafira catching fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Ok here i am....

1. Automated.
    These are VW group cars with DSG auto and ford power shift. They feature an automated manual gearbox which u drive like a regular automatic. They have a twin clutch system so the next gear can engage near instantly (in theory). Good on fuel - similar to the same car with a manual gearbox, and they feel like a manual car on the open road - no delay in power reaching the wheels. But they are expensive and complicated. They can and do go wrong. They are also not that clever in town traffic...if your used to one of the other types of automatic it will take a little while to get used to this sort of thing. If u drive for economy in town it seems it's gets even more dim witted at times - I don't actually recommend these for people who spend the vast majority of their time in traffic. Cheaper versions such as the VW ASG and others have just a single automated clutch, and are therefore best avoided.

2. Cvt belt drive.
    As the name suggests, a belt drive system. Very fuel efficient, and smooth in traffic. More simple than the automated systems, less to go wrong, less wear and tear. A good town car option, but might feel a bit lacking or unresponsive on the open road....a sort of delay between the revs going up and the road speed catching up.

3. Traditional torque converter.
    Planetary gearing delivering power thru a torque converter. The original American type system. The most mature design of all 3, most reliable, a compromise in many ways between the other systems, it does have gears but they don't really work in the sense of a manual car or a automated transmission. More responsive than cvt, but less responsive than automated twin clutch. Fuel economy is usually lower, tho some now featuring 6 speeds may solve some of that issue. No problems in town traffic. Very much a safe bet solution for mixed driving situations and longevity.

Thing is, as others have noted, you might well need a slightly bigger engine, or a turbo charged one. If your carrying extra people, stuff, dogs, etc, often. I have the non turbo 1.4 polo (current model, 85ps) with the VW automated 7spd twin clutch dsg. You do notice when your hauling extra weight around. A turbo version would solve that (TSi), but there's more to go wrong with the turbo version.
    With all VW group (skoda, seat, Audi) cars you will be using their automated dsg system - with the advantages and disadvantages mentioned above. You can't have a diesel auto polo btw, I don't know about the skoda/seat/Audi range. Obviously if you get a Golf (or golf Plus - a bigger golf) a turbo diesel dsg auto is very appealing and very comfy and with bags of power and more space. Btw, ford powershift is essentially the same, automated twin clutch system, so again same for and against points,

In your senario I would be looking first at the Honda Jazz 1.3 petrol auto and the latest Nissan note, 1.2 petrol turbo auto. Both have belt drive cvt automatic transmission. Much less hassle and stress in the system than automated type systems. Ideal in down, but a bit lack luster on the open road. These sorts of car are designed for what you describe, a bit bigger, a bit more power (though not in the case of the Honda Jazz- no turbo option on the Jazz, and only 1 engine size), easy to get in and out.

Petrol 2015 corsa 1.4 non-turbo has a 6spd version of a traditional automatic gearbox, being 6spd should cure some of the economy issue....I will certainly be looking at this car my self later on. I don't know, but maybe the Astra and zafira use the same transmission....tho they have had lots of problems with the new zafira catching fire.

Too much detail David, this guy just needs a Fiesta Titanium...parking sensors,climate, folding mirrors and good economy...

vw are not the b all and end all..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much detail David, this guy just needs a Fiesta Titanium...parking sensors,climate, folding mirrors and good economy...

vw are not the b all and end all..

Actually I thought we got the impression a slightly large car might be adviseable, with maybe a bit more power,

And, if u actually read my post, especially the tidier 2nd one u can clearly see me state that for anyone who spends most time driving in town, or is concerned about longevity, a automated system such as the dsg (or power shift from ford) is not recommend (IMO). I went further at the end and said I would be looking at the new corsa next time, because it's got a proper automatic transmission and NOT a dsg
    Personally I don't rate the range topping Ford Fiesta, with or without power shift. It's more dated than the polo (dashboard etc), actually slightly smaller than my polo, with rubbish rear access due to sporting roof line (even on 5dr hatch) and doesn't even have rear electric Windows. And it's power shift, so I would be very wary of choosing it for the same reason I would be wary of choosing another VW.....your driving along waiting for the display to say "error".
  • stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nissan juke would tick all the boxes? small car that has more room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripe wrote: »
    nissan juke would tick all the boxes? small car that has more room.

The Juke is popular, however the boot is woeful.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I personally think the Yeti ticks all the boxes, seats for adults comfortably, room in the boot for luggage etc. Unless you go for a very big vehicle I think the OP will struggle to find a car/suv that will carry 4 passengers plus 4 pieces of luggage and a dog, unless you use a roof box.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    My wife drives a Fiesta Titanium Auto, and she loves it. It's a 1.4. It is a nice car, and very reliable.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,062
    Forum Member
    Without a doubt I'd recommend the Fiesta with the Powershift dual clutch auto. Even if you didn't need it for health reasons I'd still recommend it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Without a doubt I'd recommend the Fiesta with the Powershift dual clutch auto. Even if you didn't need it for health reasons I'd still recommend it.

Ford are probably one of the best manufacturers to honest...and I say that in the Vauxhall camp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the Yeti ticks all the boxes, seats for adults comfortably, room in the boot for luggage etc. Unless you go for a very big vehicle I think the OP will struggle to find a car/suv that will carry 4 passengers plus 4 pieces of luggage and a dog, unless you use a roof box.

You are probably correct,however young and inexperienced drivers shouldn't be driving cars with twin smokers...

Which the Yeti has..

No offence op. You should get the Fiesta..
    Forum Member
    however young and inexperienced drivers shouldn't be driving cars with twin smokers...

Which the Yeti has..

Would you care to try that in plain English?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Would you care to try that in plain English?

Twin exhaust

Like my 84 Capri 2.8 injection..

The car you always promised yourself...

Listen Yosemite...

;-)
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kia Rio seems to get a lot of praise and it comes with the brilliant seven year warranty, which obviously is quite reassuring. I think it looks great as well. However I personally would go for the Mazda 2, which is a bit more quirky and "sporty", and has been praised for its performance. It will hold its value well as well and Mazda's are generally very reliable cars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are probably correct,however young and inexperienced drivers shouldn't be driving cars with twin smokers...

Which the Yeti has..

No offence op. You should get the Fiesta..

Ahh, but u can get a 1.2tsi (petrol) yeti, which is not so quick (tho not slow either) but the auto will be the VW dsg system which I would be wary about getting tbh.

Likewise fiesta with power shift has the same sort of system, so apart from the rest of the car I would be wary about getting it just because of its power shift system.

In both cases if peace of mind is high on the list, and, or, you spend loads of time in town traffic then I would avoid DSG and power shift. If this is your senario, I would urge getting a traditional automatic or the cvt belt drive type.