Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Still at the top of it's game"

Undoubtedly it is far from top of it's game.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have to be on crack to apply?
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,954
    Forum Member
    Is this a new position? They seem to be managing without at the moment
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    "Coronation Street needs you!!"

If you really have all those qualities then never a truer word was spoken!!!!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Do you have what it takes to drive corrie into the ground

Sorry edit. So apologies to Barbara knox for reminding her of her drink driving suspension
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to do that job, sadly I'm not qualified. I do think I could write some very good stories for the show.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essential qualifications : ability to forget back stories, short attention span required.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Do you have to be on crack to apply?

If you want to write the Callum/Platt's storyline then yes, crack use is essential. Thorough tests will be conducted mind, so don't think you can pass through the net easily.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the link you posted is not for a writing job? maybe thats whats going wrong... wrong types of people going for the wrong types of jobs due to mis advertising
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol at all the above comments they're all brilliant.

Sadly as Mark Washington points out there are lots of people who would love the job but aren't "qualified". There are many talented people who do writing in their spare time but lack the contacts to get published or a writing job. These people are probably relatively working class & know what its like to live in an area like Weatherfield. They know the sort of people who live there, much like Tony Warren when he wrote the first few episodes. They could write realistic, humourous, emotional episodes of the kind CS used to be known for.

However, these days in any industry its more often than not who u know that gets u a job rather than pure talent. The writers now are very well educated but the majority appear to be rather middle class. Thats not meant as a criticism, I'm not saying they're bad writers but its difficult to write about something that u have no experience of. CS is not in any way realistic of life in a Northern working class street which is what it is supposed to be. I say that as someone who has been born & brought up in such areas. Obviously I know its a soap & dramatic licence has to be taken, but it takes the mick these days. Characters swan about in designer clothes, eat breakfast at the cafe, lunch & drinks in the rovers, then tea & more drinks in the bistro every day, despite having a job that pays minimum wage. Also for some reason any character that is a bit more wealthy e.g. Dev, Carla, Nick will not aspire to live in a nicer area (like Mike Baldwin who used to have a nice apartment on the quays) but will live on CS because they work there. Who in the real world lives in the same street as they work? I'd go insane if I had to look at my place of work every bloody day!
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emilyb wrote: »

Sadly as Mark Washington points out there are lots of people who would love the job but aren't "qualified". There are many talented people who do writing in their spare time but lack the contacts to get published or a writing job. These people are probably relatively working class & know what its like to live in an area like Weatherfield. They know the sort of people who live there, much like Tony Warren when he wrote the first few episodes. They could write realistic, humourous, emotional episodes of the kind CS used to be known for.

However, these days in any industry its more often than not who u know that gets u a job rather than pure talent. The writers now are very well educated but the majority appear to be rather middle class. Thats not meant as a criticism, I'm not saying they're bad writers but its difficult to write about something that u have no experience of. CS is not in any way realistic of life in a Northern working class street which is what it is supposed to be. I say that as someone who has been born & brought up in such areas. Obviously I know its a soap & dramatic licence has to be taken, but it takes the mick these days. Characters swan about in designer clothes, eat breakfast at the cafe, lunch & drinks in the rovers, then tea & more drinks in the bistro every day, despite having a job that pays minimum wage. Also for some reason any character that is a bit more wealthy e.g. Dev, Carla, Nick will not aspire to live in a nicer area (like Mike Baldwin who used to have a nice apartment on the quays) but will live on CS because they work there. Who in the real world lives in the same street as they work? I'd go insane if I had to look at my place of work every bloody day!

It's a story editor's job.. one which requires experience... not a writers job but yeah
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is all very true. I know at least one of the US networks had a writers development program for the soaps years ago (probably before i was born) but maybe about 15 years ago Hogan Sheffer who had no experience writing for soaps at all became head writer of As the World Turns and gave that show a new lease on life, so it can happen its just very rare. I think if the US soaps had tried to go after more writers like him instead of hiring hacks like Megan McTavish maybe we'd still have 10 soaps on the air instead of just 4.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be my dream job
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    From the Free Dictionary:

EDIT
    a. To prepare (written material) for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting.
    b. To prepare an edition of for publication: edit a collection of short stories.
    c. To modify or adapt so as to make suitable or acceptable: edited her remarks for presentation to a younger audience.
    2. To supervise the publication of (a newspaper or magazine, for example).
    3. To assemble the components of (a film or soundtrack, for example), as by cutting and splicing.
    4. To eliminate; delete: edited the best scene out.

So that means the person appointed could say:

That would never happen - cut it.
    That would never happen - change it.
    That just isn't funny - change it.
    He/she would never do that because of what had happened in previous stories.
    That would never happen because it's at the wrong time of day.
    e.t.c.

If they did, I bet they wouldn't have the job for long.
  • Options
    Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brilliant post -ive said this many times before
    They should make the current writers watch corrie from the past so they can appreciate its history etc & install a little reality
  • Options
    Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggested this idea a short while back

Seems the managers at Corrie liked my idea lol

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2094309&highlight=