Options

The Give Matt A Chance Club

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    tomsy wrote: »
    My favourite was Tom Baker. Only because he was the DR during my growing years. I had memories of Jon Pertwee and even DR Annuals with him (and frills) as the DR.

I recall not liking Peter Davidson initially but that was down to having known TB for so long.

I watched until the BBC axed it and thought some of the production had lost its magic. But the DR's were always worth watching.

I'm very much like you! Loved Tom Baker. Actually grew to like Peter D.

Fell in love with Nyssa!!!

Then kept on watching te show regardless

I'm hoping that Matt Smith is a bit of a 'cosmic hobo' - a bit like Pat T. His costume certainly reminds me of that era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Crowfoot wrote: »
    Why is YE BOOZE UP reminding me of Black Adder? ("my friend is ... a missionary.. and he's just come back from visiting a tribe.. who's chief is called.. Great.. BOO. ...he's been suffering from.. sleeping sickness, and he's obviously just woken.. because, as you just heard, GREAT BOOZE UP")

As for Who, being Canadian I didn't grow up with it, but have always been a sci fi fan (watching lots of Trek, yo - and the original Battlestar Galactica and Space 1999! Hey, wasn't Troughton on Space 1999???). I had always meant to try and watch it but as it was only shown on PBS for a spell and no video stores carried it at all I was left to just wonder, and listen to a room-mate squee about Tom Baker :p (though room-mate Mark will undoubtedly insist he did not squee - but I heard him! :D) We rented the movie as that was all there was - but I liked it, or liked parts of it, and I thought I could see what my roomie saw in the Doctor. Last year I made friends with someone online who was very much into DW and I noticed that the CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting Corp, for those who don't know) was playing New Who so I tried to catch it and check it out. One full story later (The Sontaran Strategem/Poison Sky) and I was hooked! Been lapping it up ever since :D Finished up New Who and have been starting on Classic - starting with Four mostly, as he and Ten appear to be my current favourites.

Have great love for Blackadder myself! Especially series 2 with Queenie!

So was any Hobgoblin consumed?

I'm actually quite jealous about you just discovering old Who. All those shows to watch for the first time!!

Keep an eye out for 'Seeds of Doom' and 'Horror of Fang Rock' - two really good 4th Dcotor stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maine79 wrote: »
    I'm am sad to see Matt Smith as the new doctor. I think he is going to be terrible.

What makes you think this?

It's early days to be thinking this surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Club has been quiet the past couple of days!!!

Anyone else for joining? Or any opinions on past, present and Matt Smith Who?
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    I'll join, only because at this stage it is the most logical course of action!

We've heard 9 words of his performance so far, hardly a lot to judge him on.

People who are hating him are just scared of change.....they're comfortable with this era of Who and don't want to see it end.
    Well, let me tell you something, different doesn't have to mean bad. It just means different.

Here's to Difference!
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    as i said before, I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE CLUB!

:mad: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    as i said before, I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE CLUB!

:mad: :D

Very sorry! Your 'Gold Membership' must have got lost in the post.

Consider yourself a fully paid up 'TIDGY MAC!':D
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ManWolf wrote: »

Do we get a theme song like the Ovalteenies

Or is it more like

"All we are saying

Is give Matt a chance" (a la Lennon :D)
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member

loving the great customer service! :D
  • Options
    Julian-FreakJulian-Freak Posts: 2,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see Matt as the new Doctor. I can remember as far back as Jon pertwee and the whole synopsis of Dr Who has always been that at some point he will regenerate

I think DT has done an excellent job as did Tom Baker(my all time favorite DW) and most of the others .
    I will miss DT but that is the nature of the series and wish Matt Smith all the best for taking over the role, I think he will do a good job. But discrediting him before we have actually seen him and what he can do is bit daft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Webslark wrote: »
    Do we get a theme song like the Ovalteenies

Or is it more like

"All we are saying

Is give Matt a chance" (a la Lennon :D)

No.

But you get a badge, a certifcate and a lolly!!!!!:D

John and Yoko also refused to get out of bed until Matt's new series started:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    loving the great customer service! :D

You're welcome! Let me know if there's anything else the club can do for you!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't wait to see Matt as the new Doctor. I can remember as far back as Jon pertwee and the whole synopsis of Dr Who has always been that at some point he will regenerate

I think DT has done an excellent job as did Tom Baker(my all time favorite DW) and most of the others .
    I will miss DT but that is the nature of the series and wish Matt Smith all the best for taking over the role, I think he will do a good job. But discrediting him before we have actually seen him and what he can do is bit daft.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Tom Baker was such a tough act to follow but I thought that Peter Davison was great. I'm hoping the same will be true for Matt Smith and that he'll be as different to David T. as Davison was to Tom B.

If that makes sense!!!!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have great love for Blackadder myself! Especially series 2 with Queenie!

So was any Hobgoblin consumed?

I'm actually quite jealous about you just discovering old Who. All those shows to watch for the first time!!

Keep an eye out for 'Seeds of Doom' and 'Horror of Fang Rock' - two really good 4th Dcotor stories.

yay Queenie! I have such a crush on Miranda Richardson!

Alas, no Hobgoblin was consumed, but rather Gastown Pale Ale, which was nice.

I'm quite excited about discovering Classic Who as well! I get all excited watching everything :D And as I intend to get all of the TB era because he is my favourite, I shall look especially forward to those two!
    I couldn't agree with you more!

Tom Baker was such a tough act to follow but I thought that Peter Davison was great. I'm hoping the same will be true for Matt Smith and that he'll be as different to David T. as Davison was to Tom B.

If that makes sense!!!!:rolleyes:

It makes complete sense, and I agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really looking forward to seeing Matt Smith as the Eleventh incarnation of the Doctor and am not going to judge him on a low quality audio clip, (even though I thought he was quite good IMHO). I want to give him a chance and really can't wait for Series Five.

So, can I Join?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yay Queenie! I have such a crush on Miranda Richardson!

I'm quite excited about discovering Classic Who as well! I get all excited watching everything :D And as I intend to get all of the TB era because he is my favourite, I shall look especially forward to those two!

Good to hear from you!:D

Miranda Richardson is absolutetly lovely! I also really like her in 'Merlin' - a made for TV fantasy she did with Sam Neil.

What Tom B's have you watched so far?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daz94 wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to seeing Matt Smith as the Eleventh incarnation of the Doctor and am not going to judge him on a low quality audio clip, (even though I thought he was quite good IMHO). I want to give him a chance and really can't wait for Series Five.

So, can I Join?

Of course you can join - 'Executive Membership' is on it's way to you!

What do you think Matt Smith will bring to the role?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to hear from you!:D

Miranda Richardson is absolutetly lovely! I also really like her in 'Merlin' - a made for TV fantasy she did with Sam Neil.

What Tom B's have you watched so far?

Richardson gets me all weak-kneed :D I haven't seen 'Merlin' but will have to try and find a copy (Sam Neil is always wonderful to watch as well)

As for Tom! I'm working my way through his era with a bit of jumping around depending on what I have got a hold of. So far I've seen:

Robot
    The Ark in Space
    The Sontaran Experiment
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Revenge of the Cybermen
    Terror of the Zygons
    Planet of Evil
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Android Invasion
    The Deadly Assassin
    The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    The Invisible Enemy
    The Invasion of Time
    Destiny of the Daleks
    City of Death
    Shada (such as it is :p)
    Full Circle
    State of Decay.

Reeeally loving it too :D I've also seen a two stories of Two, 4 stories of Three, and one story of Five.

Still so much more material to find and watch!! \o/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you can join - 'Executive Membership' is on it's way to you!

What do you think Matt Smith will bring to the role?

Thank you. :)

Its hard to imagine, without seeing even a snippet of episode. But I know he won't be a bad Doctor. Though, he does look rather argumentative and geeky, but again... I won't judge him on those things. I think he might even bring a new brighter feel to the show whilst having some dark episodes. Which would be pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richardson gets me all weak-kneed :D I haven't seen 'Merlin' but will have to try and find a copy (Sam Neil is always wonderful to watch as well)

As for Tom! I'm working my way through his era with a bit of jumping around depending on what I have got a hold of. So far I've seen:

Robot
    The Ark in Space
    The Sontaran Experiment
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Revenge of the Cybermen
    Terror of the Zygons
    Planet of Evil
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Android Invasion
    The Deadly Assassin
    The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    The Invisible Enemy
    The Invasion of Time
    Destiny of the Daleks
    City of Death
    Shada (such as it is :p)
    Full Circle
    State of Decay.

Reeeally loving it too :D I've also seen a two stories of Two, 4 stories of Three, and one story of Five.

Still so much more material to find and watch!! \o/

Loads to look forward to!

Robots of Death for Tom B. Also give Earthshock and
    The Five Doctors a go for Peter D.

Are you still at work or has the weekend started?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daz94 wrote: »
    Thank you. :)

Its hard to imagine, without seeing even a snippet of episode. But I know he won't be a bad Doctor. Though, he does look rather argumentative and geeky, but again... I won't judge him on those things. I think he might even bring a new brighter feel to the show whilst having some dark episodes. Which would be pretty good.

The Moff is certainly the right person to give Doctor Who a darker edge.

I'd really like to see Matt Smith play the role as a grumpy old man in a young man's body!
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    In my eyes - this is the BIGGEST regeneration yet!!
    Ok, we've had 9 - 10, but he was only around for a year. Dr 10 did a LONG stint for FOUR years (or by the time of these specials he will have!) Think of all the kids that have grown up with our David and suddenly losing him! And finding our Matt there! It's OK for us....(I was upset when Pat troughton vanished! .....I was 8 years old)
    I seriously think that Matt Smith will be brillliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads to look forward to!

Robots of Death for Tom B. Also give Earthshock and
    The Five Doctors a go for Peter D.

Are you still at work or has the weekend started?:D

No I'm at work :mad: :( I really really don't want to be though. I'd rather be drinking and flirting with people I probably shouldn't. :o I shall have to do so online for the time being, alas.

Both Earthshock and The Five Doctors are next-ish on my list so I can do a Classic Who rewatch with the other Whoonies in the New Doctor Who Fan thread :)
    The Moff is certainly the right person to give Doctor Who a darker edge.

I'd really like to see Matt Smith play the role as a grumpy old man in a young man's body!

That could be really enjoyable! If he can keep some of the charm - I'm finding the hardest thing about getting myself to watch Hartnell is the lack of charm. He's just grumpy! And kind of jerky! Though I understand his personality improves. And, hey, if I can be willing to give Six a chance... :eek: :p
    In my eyes - this is the BIGGEST regeneration yet!!
    Ok, we've had 9 - 10, but he was only around for a year. Dr 10 did a LONG stint for FOUR years (or by the time of these specials he will have!) Think of all the kids that have grown up with our David and suddenly losing him! And finding our Matt there! It's OK for us....(I was upset when Pat troughton vanished! .....I was 8 years old)
    I seriously think that Matt Smith will be brillliant.

I'm kind of struck by this as well (and I think there was a thread about it somewhere?) - I missed all the other regenerations, coming to Doctor Who just last year. So Nine's regeneration never felt... "live"? But this one will be. It'll be my first!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I think part of the problem is just how successful DT has been in every possible way. I think he was genuinely brilliant but I also realise that change is essentially a huge part of Dr. Who and I'm intrigued and excited to find out what MS is going to bring to the role.

I don't think the audio clip was any clear indication of how he's going to sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    krisl wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is just how successful DT has been in every possible way. I think he was genuinely brilliant but I also realise that change is essentially a huge part of Dr. Who and I'm intrigued and excited to find out what MS is going to bring to the role.

I don't think the audio clip was any clear indication of how he's going to sound.

DT has been brilliant! But the way that the programme survives is by change or should I say regeneration! Like you I'm looking forward to the future.

Here's a question though... what would you like to see revisited/the same from the show that we know and love?