Options

6.25pm - good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to get this straight in my head.... since when has 'scary' been synonymous with 'adult' ?

D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ductur wrote: »
    Just to get this straight in my head.... since when has 'scary' been synonymous with 'adult' ?

D

Please let me know when you know!!!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Doctor Who should be made more of a centre piece of the schedule than it currently is. If Andrew Lloysd Webber wants his programme to be late in the schedule, then fine but he'd have to accept it'd be against Britain's Got Talent.

For the 65 opener, I'd go with:

5.55 Total Wipeout
    6.55 Doctor Who
    8.00 Over the Rainbow
    9.15 Casualty
    10.05 Lottery Draw
    10.15 BBC News and Weather
    10.30 Match of the Day
    11.50 The Football League Show

Then for the rest of the series (which'll be 50 minutes? in length):

5.40 Walk on the Wild Side
    6.10 Total Wipeout
    7.10 Doctor Who
    8.00 Over the Rainbow

(then as above)

The Lottery does not need an extended Quiz Show considering the other programming that BBC1 has at it's disposal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think Doctor Who should be made more of a centre piece of the schedule than it currently is. If Andrew Lloysd Webber wants his programme to be late in the schedule, then fine but he'd have to accept it'd be against Britain's Got Talent.

5.55 Total Wipeout
    6.55 Doctor Who
    8.00 Over the Rainbow
    9.15 Casualty
    10.05 Lottery Draw
    10.30 Match of the Day

6.10 Total Wipeout
    7.10 Doctor Who
    8.00 Over the Rainbow

(then as above)

The Lottery does not need an extended Quiz Show considering the other programming that BBC1 has at it's disposal.

What? Really? Cool if true!!!
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

5.55 Total Wipeout
    6.55 Doctor Who
    8.00 Over the Rainbow
    9.15 Casualty
    10.05 Lottery Draw
    10.30 Match of the Day

6.10 Total Wipeout
    7.10 Doctor Who
    8.00 Over the Rainbow

(then as above)

Thought the Eleventh Hour was an hour and aren't normal episodes 45 minute still?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Thought the Eleventh Hour was an hour and aren't normal episodes 45 minute still?

I thought Eleventh Hour was 65 for some reason - though considering it has 'Hour' in the title 60 minutes is logical.

I wasn't sure with the other episodes - I know the last series had 45 minute episodes. I think I read things in my sleep and then think they're real the number of blunders I make at times. :rolleyes::o

Doesn't matter with the scheduling really, just move Walk on the Wild Side/Total Wipeout/Doctor Who forward five minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Eleventh Hour was 65 for some reason - though considering it has 'Hour' in the title 60 minutes is logical.

I wasn't sure with the other episodes - I know the last series had 45 minute episodes. I think I read things in my sleep and then think they're real the number of blunders I make at times. :rolleyes::o

Doesn't matter with the scheduling really, just move Walk on the Wild Side/Total Wipeout/Doctor Who forward five minutes.

lol that fine....sometimes the lines between reality and dreams is very thin;):D

I think the Eleventh Hour is 65 minutes, as I have read that in a couple of places....but definitely not about the 50minutes....oh well you win some you lose some!
  • Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I'd go with MoTD first, followed by DW.... just to get the blood up...

D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope definitely 60 minutes for The Eleventh Hour:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rs6t7
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought that dervish was one person though. The posts were too inconsistent or they went into irony overdrive.

you should agree though that people that post that kind of post give us something to fight against and maybe that's the point of the post?
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the opening episode is 65 minutes long (as per DWM), the others are still 45 minutes (again as per DWM).

Putting that aside, I'd say with budget cuts etc there is no chance the BBC would have agreed extra running time every single episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    the opening episode is 65 minutes long (as per DWM), the others are still 45 minutes (again as per DWM).

Putting that aside, I'd say with budget cuts etc there is no chance the BBC would have agreed extra running time every single episode.

Seems the BBC programmes site is wrong then or it was planned to be 60 minutes (hence the title) but the best edit ran over. Goody :D.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,836
    Administrator
    A number of personal posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep the discussion friendly and constructive.

Thanks
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tingramretro seems to want Doctor Who to be the Virgin New Adventures and of course Human Nature was adapted, but they were always supposed to be beyond what could be shown on screen. This was "grown up" Doctor Who and why it hit the tabloid headlines; i.e. it had naked breasts and sex and swear words. Some of it was really dire and some of it was brilliant, but it was catering for an audience that had outgrown the T.V. version of Doctor Who.

Then suddenly the miracle happened and Doctor Who was back and these old fans who'd been reading all these books for all those years and watched the fan videos and listened to the DVDs thought yes it's back and it's for us, forgot what Doctor Who is about. It's about the joy of hearing that a show during it's first year back makes two nephews and a niece not only hide behind the sofa, they hid behind the curtain as well.
    Is it unreasonable that we wanted our show back, after waiting sixteen years for it? Or that having watched Doctor Who evolve into something more sophisticated over the decade and a half it was being developed in mediums other than TV, we were disappointed to see it take a step backwards? Yes, I wanted the Doctor Who I'd stuck with and supported for all those years back, not a neutered, child friendly version. That is exactly it. The new show's effect on the younger family members might be a part of its appeal to you, but I neither have, want, nor like children, so it's irrelevant to me. I just want my Doctor Who back. The version that grew up with me. I don't think that's hard to understand, after I've devoted a sizable chunk of my life to it. You may not agree with it, but I don't think it's hard to understand.
    Though a lot of people that were writing those books understood what DW was and have come and written some fantastic episodes.
    Yes-but generally, they're the episodes closest in tone to the books and audios, which I think says something!
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it unreasonable that we wanted our show back, after waiting sixteen years for it? Or that having watched Doctor Who evolve into something more sophisticated over the decade and a half it was being developed in mediums other than TV, we were disappointed to see it take a step backwards? Yes, I wanted the Doctor Who I'd stuck with and supported for all those years back, not a neutered, child friendly version. That is exactly it. The new show's effect on the younger family members might be a part of its appeal to you, but I neither have, want, nor like children, so it's irrelevant to me. I just want my Doctor Who back. The version that grew up with me. I don't think that's hard to understand, after I've devoted a sizable chunk of my life to it. You may not agree with it, but I don't think it's hard to understand.
    Yes-but generally, they're the episodes closest in tone to the books and audios, which I think says something!

So a show that you first started watching as a child is being made so that children (of all ages) will love it.

My god how terrible!

It's amazing how selfish some people are really, you got to grow up with the show and love it through the years yet you want todays children to be denied that.

I actually think they try and appeal to as many people so across each season we have such a range of different episodes from the farce of Partners In Crime to the bleakness of Turn Left. Doctor Who has always done that over the years and I hope it continues to do that.

Tell you what - since you love the books & audios so much why don't you go back to them and leave the TV show behind - you don't have any more right to it than anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because for some bizarre reason, they cancelled the books as soon as they brought the TV show back? Thanks, BBC.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dobsy wrote: »
    Why choose Jedi? Why choose a religion that is obviously just the ramblings of one man sitting down trying to write a story to entertain people for years to come? Oh, hmmm... As opposed to... Hmmm... Ok, forget religion. Just watch Doctor Who instead. At least it's real. Oh, hmmm...

Your lack of faith is disturbing:mad: (cue choking sound)
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Those other media were never Doctor Who - they were spin-off media aimed at a small, devoted subset of fans. He wants his Doctor Who back? He has it. It was never a TV show and never will be.
  • Options
    poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those other media were never Doctor Who - they were spin-off media aimed at a small, devoted subset of fans. He wants his Doctor Who back? He has it. It was never a TV show and never will be.

Those books were more Dr Who than a lot of the puerile stuff in the new TV series.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »
    Those books were more Dr Who than a lot of the puerile stuff in the new TV series.

The New Adventures were great but they became very different from the original show.

In fact given their greater exploration of relationships they were closer to the current show. And they had quite a few gay characters popping up in them!

If you loved them so much - why don't you go and reread them and stop watching a show you seem to dislike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dobsy wrote: »
    Why choose Jedi? Why choose a religion that is obviously just the ramblings of one man sitting down trying to write a story to entertain people for years to come? Oh, hmmm... As opposed to... Hmmm... Ok, forget religion. Just watch Doctor Who instead. At least it's real. Oh, hmmm...

Because being a Jedi can be so profitable. ;)

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/781107--jedi-to-sue-over-religious-rights
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

I knew I read it somewhere! Thanks Muttley!:)

I'm sorry, but it is still very hard to understand. And I tell you why, because you have praised the classic series non stop, and rightly so, because it is brilliant. And that is what made you fan of the show in the first place obviously, not the books. And you want to deprive this generation kids of it. It doesn't matter if you like kids or not, you are still human though aren't you.

The books came afterwards....and only cover a small period of the whole history of the 46 years. They helped you through the long drought no doubt, but they were adult because the BBC obviously knew that the only ones who are likely to read those books are people who grew up watching the show but are adults now. There was nothing to lure a new generation of kids with, so it would have been a waste of money to make them child friendly, rather than because they were evolving it. They gave you the books because they knew there was money in it. The people who wrote the books, RTD included, did so because it was their only way to be included in the world of Who, because there was no TV show. And when it came back, all the writers wrote the TV show how they always saw the show themselves, what they saw as it children, what they wanted other children to watch so one day they grow up and also become writers like they did, not how they wrote in the books, because that isn't how Classic Doctor Who was. If the Classic series of the show never really got to stage where it was aimed solely at adults after 26 years....and always panderd to the children in some form always, why on Earth would the return of the show not do the same? Why wouldn't they want to wish a new generation of kids to also feel the magic of the show that they and you once felt?

If it had only panderd to the adults of the 90's it would have died a death sooner or later, and I don't mean in terms of just ratings, because in the end, even if there is a larger adult audience that watches the show, I doubt that the die hard fans who stuck through the drought period even cover one million of those adult viewers.....and eventually those die hard adult fans would die....and so would the show with them. But the only way to keep it alive forever, or make it last another 26 years at least, is to make new generation into fans, as one day the show will then fall into their hands.

But I think the main reason I am confused is because you have said before that Doctor Who should be about escapism, not deep or layerd, and about spaceships, not emotions. But at the same time you have asked for adult sophisticated Doctor Who which would be about layers, human nature, and emotions....not escapism, fun creepy stuff and spaceships. Like Moff says in his recent RT interview, Blink is scary and suprising because it airs around 7pm in the evening, but put it on at 10pm, it isn't...because that is when you would expect something like The Ring at that time. And yet you love Blink, and it isn't really adult in any sense. Can you see why I am confused?

But most importantly, the way you feel so passionate about the show, there are a lot of kids who feel equally passionate. So as a passionate fan, surely you should feel proud that others also love the show too? Isn't that what being a fan is about, being proud to be a fan and seeing other share your passion? Because like it or not, it was the show that came first, not you as a fan, if there hadn't been no show in the first place, there wouldn't have been no books either. Same for me, if the show hadn't come back in 2005, I wouldn't have been a fan, if they hadn't brought SJS back for School Reunion, I wouldn't have botherd to check out the classic series, and if I hadn't then watched the movie again after becoming a fan, I would have never botherd to listen to the audios or get the books. So thanks to the BBC and RTD and co for bringing it back and making me a fan.

Because for some bizarre reason, they cancelled the books as soon as they brought the TV show back? Thanks, BBC.:rolleyes:

There isn't anything bizzare about it....the BBC is a business, they know where the money is....and right now it is in making books for the younger kids, which in all fairnes quite a few of us adults enjoy too. Double the advantage for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And yet those books, for i have been reading quite a few since I became a fan, are not much like the classic series either....therefore technically even the original show by your logic isn't really Doctor Who....so I guess both New Who and Old Who are in good company with each other.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so, too. And to reply to a point made by Crazzyaz7, above: the books don't only cover a 'small' period of Who's 46 year history. They cover almost a third of it! And yes, they did cover some of the human interest stuff so beloved of the new show-but it didn't swamp the stories. They were still strong science fiction stories. In a 45 minute TV show you can't afford to waste time on the characters' interpersonal relationships to that degree without losing any chance of really telling a proper Doctor Who story! In a novel, you can-you've about three hundred pages so you can afford to indulge yourself. But not in 45 minutes on TV.

In cancelling the books, the BBC abandoned the existing fan base who'd been reading them for 15 years, as soon as they had a new generation of fans. Hardly fair, is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There isn't anything bizzare about it....the BBC is a business, they know where the money is....and right now it is in making books for the younger kids, which in all fairnes quite a few of us adults enjoy too. Double the advantage for them.

The novels were (and are) a spin-off profit centre for the BBC, nothing more. Doctor Who didn't "evolve" over the years from 1989 to 2005, it hibernated.

And guite arguably the new show takes the best of both. It's still squarely aimed at a mainstream family audience, while incorporating more adult themes than the original. But hardcore modern science fiction on BBC 1? There simply isn't the audience for it. You can't blame the BBC for actually knowing what works on television and what doesn't!