Options

HELP!!! Incapacity Benefit (failed medical) appealing.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    No i haven't suffered a panic attack. I know how bad they are though as a neighbours young son suffers with them. He has his heart set on joining the forces. Is there a working life available to people who suffer panic attacks or are they just resigned to sitting at home all day?

I think i'll leave this now as when i was involved earlier in the thread i copped a 48 hour ban and was accused of baiting. I wasn't and was just stating an opinion.

It depends on what sets off his panic attacks I guess, with me its crowds, If he gets set off by heights of bullets flying past his head it may be a problem for him yes. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest, I'm talking from personal experience. I have always been a bit of an oddball in most peoples eyes, had loads of jobs. Was singled out as a wierdo in several of them and picked on. In my last job I was physically assaulted because I stood up to a bully.
    Now I cant stand being in crowds and am pretty much agrophobic, If I am in a area with more than a handfull of people I feel like I'm gonna die cos my heart starts racing and I feel like I am gonna black out.

I have told ATOS I would be happy to get on the esa where they help you get straight and able to work again. I am seeing a counsellor to try overcome my issues. As it is now though I really do fear being around people, I have considered suicide in my past and don't want to find myself pushed into that state of mind again by some brainless tool in a factory who makes me miserable at my every turn.

I'd be happy to get a job working alone some time, but once you are on JSA they dont allow you to be that picky.

thats great your getting counselling, i hope it works out for you, because locking yourself away from the world isnt a life.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yes, don't force people to work.

Make work places nice places to be, rather than hostile environments.

Believe it or not some work places are very nice to work in. They aren't all evil places with people out to get you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tackomacko wrote: »
    thats great your getting counselling, i hope it works out for you, because locking yourself away from the world isnt a life.

Thanks! trust me I know its not a life. I drove my friends away because of my issues, used to be very outgoing. Now I am very lonely and the worst part is a lot of the time I'm happy that way.

Then times like this I really want a life again.

It is like people said before, If ATOS catch you on a good day then they might think there is no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Believe it or not some work places are very nice to work in. They aren't all evil places with people out to get you.

The thing about mental illness is its not rational mate. logic doesn't come into it :)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    it really is absolutely ludicrous Jason.

I do hope you'll be okay.

Thankyou :)
  • Options
    kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i haven't suffered a panic attack. I know how bad they are though as a neighbours young son suffers with them. He has his heart set on joining the forces. Is there a working life available to people who suffer panic attacks or are they just resigned to sitting at home all day? I think i'll leave this now as when i was involved earlier in the thread i copped a 48 hour ban and was accused of baiting. I wasn't and was just stating an opinion.

I am reading some sarcasm in that sentence but I may be wrong. Ironically, it is a question I ask myself almost daily. I am hoping that the rest of my life isn't going to be the latter because if it is, then quite frankly i'd rather be dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Just asking if those who suffer with panic attacks are never going to be able to look for work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Just asking if those who suffer with panic attacks are never going to be able to look for work.

It depends on the severity of the panic attacks and the individual. I can go weeks, maybe even a couple of months without a panic attack and think that I am 'cured'. My confidence builds up a bit and I believe that this is it, that I can get a job and get out of the house and there is a level of excitement in me. Then, as happened this week, I was knocked back by something and I had a terrible panic attack. That was Wednesday and four days later I am still trying to get over it. This year I was given the chance to do some voluntary work at home and outwith the house. I was so excited at the prospect and I gave it my best but my anxiety levels just go so out of control that I had to make my excuses and stop. What is frustrating is that before all this anxiety/depression/panic attacks and so on hit me 8 years ago, I was a very outgoing, confident, bubbly person. I was never in and I had an excellent job too which I had to give up. I would never wish this on anyone. Believe me, it's a living hell. Incidentally, the work issue aside, how would you feel if someone very close to you died and you were unable to attend their funeral because of your intense fear of panicking in a crowd of people? This happened to me just three weeks ago. I have to live with that guilt for the rest of my life. If only our problem was just about finding a job but it isn't - it affects EVERYTHING! Sorry for the rant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I feel for you.

Can people ovecome this though? Or are you resigned to being like that forever?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel for you.

Can people ovecome this though? Or are you resigned to being like that forever?

I don't know. I have tried hypnotherapy, CBT, counselling this year (20 weeks of it) . I was put on anti depressants but I took a severe reaction to them and now I am too scared to try any other drug. I read of people who are managing it ok and then I read of people who have suffered for 35 years. I would give anything to recover from this. There has been an improvement in myself in the sense that I am not a total agoraphobic now and the panic attacks are less frequent. I can go out now as long as it's somewhere familiar and not too far away from home or crowded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the forms today to actually send to the tribunal service. It's more of a confirmation that I want to go ahead than anything else, but I looked at the second sheet of paper and it says "Because of the high volume of cases we are currently dealing with, the appeal is not likely to be heard before 06/08/2012".

So at least 6 months before I'm even considered for a date. I imagine it's very possible that it could even slip in to 2013 which will make it over one full calendar year's wait.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't wish to sound rude but I don't understand how people can make judgements on the OP just from their posts on here. Depression and mental illness is no different than a broken arm in the fact it happens and is an illness. Unlike say the flu you can have good days and look fine but inside you are dying. I think the phrase about walking a mile in someone else's shoes before making your mind up.

Free dental and scripts isn't automatic but you can apply for this and they either give you a HC2 which is free dental and scripts or HC3 which is partial.

OP I am off long term with back problems amongst other things and am waiting for my interview to come through. If you wanna PM me for a shoulder :-)

PJ
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the forms today to actually send to the tribunal service. It's more of a confirmation that I want to go ahead than anything else, but I looked at the second sheet of paper and it says "Because of the high volume of cases we are currently dealing with, the appeal is not likely to be heard before 06/08/2012".

So at least 6 months before I'm even considered for a date. I imagine it's very possible that it could even slip in to 2013 which will make it over one full calendar year's wait.

oh no I'm so sorry to hear that :(
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I do believe in depression..and know there are serious sufferers out there..but I do think some people make excuses for their life..

There are those out there who could be handed the same set of circumstances...one would pull their finger out and get on with it and deal with it with no fuss..the other would cave in and cry pity me to anyone who would listen..

Now whilst some are genuinely in a black hole and need help to climb out of it there are those who are just damn idle and wont make the effort to help themselves..well why should these people ride on the coat tails of those who work hard?

How do you spot the real from the fake?..I dont know because everyone claiming some form of benefit has their own sob story to tell..

I do know if there was no benefit in place and people had to fend for themselves the fakers would soon pull their finger out then...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    oh no I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Thanks. It's not so bad at the moment as i've managed to cut my mobile phone contract in half and i'm planning on doing the same with sky, so i'll actually have a decent amount of disposable income on a fortnightly basis from february which will make it a lot easier to cope.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Mobile phone contracts don't just disappear because you cannot afford them ... if only life was that simple!!!!
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiteflyer wrote: »
    It depends on the severity of the panic attacks and the individual. I can go weeks, maybe even a couple of months without a panic attack and think that I am 'cured'. My confidence builds up a bit and I believe that this is it, that I can get a job and get out of the house and there is a level of excitement in me. Then, as happened this week, I was knocked back by something and I had a terrible panic attack. That was Wednesday and four days later I am still trying to get over it. This year I was given the chance to do some voluntary work at home and outwith the house. I was so excited at the prospect and I gave it my best but my anxiety levels just go so out of control that I had to make my excuses and stop. What is frustrating is that before all this anxiety/depression/panic attacks and so on hit me 8 years ago, I was a very outgoing, confident, bubbly person. I was never in and I had an excellent job too which I had to give up. I would never wish this on anyone. Believe me, it's a living hell. Incidentally, the work issue aside, how would you feel if someone very close to you died and you were unable to attend their funeral because of your intense fear of panicking in a crowd of people? This happened to me just three weeks ago. I have to live with that guilt for the rest of my life. If only our problem was just about finding a job but it isn't - it affects EVERYTHING! Sorry for the rant.

OP, I have had one panic attack in my life and it was beyond ghastly, making me wonder whether I was about to die, so I do empathise. You might be wondering why I have only ever had just one panic attack. Well, I believe it's because I do the following whenever I become aware of the onset of feelings of a possible panic attack.

1. Take a full breath in slowly and then exhale slowly. This alone will begin to make you feel better.

2. Make a point of focusing on everyone else except you. That will also help you feel better. You might feel that you are suddenly the focus of attention, but you most probably are not. And if anybody is actually looking at you, it's probably with concern that you are suddenly looking unwell. Therefore, it's fine for them to look at you. Be reassured.

3. If you are in a social situation and all else fails, simply excuse yourself. If you are talking to someone, just say, "Please excuse me, I need some air" and leave. Nobody will mind.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuanMebabe wrote: »
    OP, I have had one panic attack in my life and it was beyond ghastly, making me wonder whether I was about to die, so I do empathise. You might be wondering why I have only ever had just one panic attack. Well, I believe it's because I do the following whenever I become aware of the onset of feelings of a possible panic attack.

1. Take a full breath in slowly and then exhale slowly. This alone will begin to make you feel better.

2. Make a point of focusing on everyone else except you. That will also help you feel better. You might feel that you are suddenly the focus of attention, but you most probably are not. And if anybody is actually looking at you, it's probably with concern that you are suddenly looking unwell. Therefore, it's fine for them to look at you. Be reassured.

3. If you are in a social situation and all else fails, simply excuse yourself. If you are talking to someone, just say, "Please excuse me, I need some air" and leave. Nobody will mind.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I do follow those three points and there are other things that I do too which has helped me to get out more. My panic attacks have lessened but have not stopped totally. There is a definite improvement in that respect but very little improvement in my anxiety unfortunately. I am not going to give up though........