Options

Any other fans of Glam Rock around here?

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    A lot of Glam stuff like Mud,Sweet, Slade, Suzi Quatro all seemed to have elements of the 12 Bar Riffs. That Status Quo were and are famous for. I find it kind of Ironic that Quo were doing that stuff first around 1969/1970 but because they were denim clad rockers it took till 1972 for them to have a big hit again.

When the music was almost the the same (better IMO) as the Glam stuff. Rock N Roll music but with the guitars turned up loud.

I'm glad you noticed the rock n roll thing with the glam rockers.
    My only criticism of Quo was they weren't adventurous enough with their sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always felt that Slade hamstrung themselves with the Glam thing.

If they had dressed more like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd then I think they would get a lot more respect these days.

I think you might want to go back and have a look how Zeppelin dressed in the early 70s. The size of Plant's loons and Page was a bit of a glam dresser actually.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I'm glad you noticed the rock n roll thing with the glam rockers.
    My only criticism of Quo was they weren't adventurous enough with their sound.

With their Singles yes I can see why people thought all the tracks sounded the same. Their best albums between 1971-1976 are a bit more varied.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    The whole thrust of the pink album is a nostalgic rediscovery and restyling of rock, just like Glitter, Bolan, Essex, Mud, were doing in their own way.

'LadyTron' , 'If there is something', Remake/Remodel' are great examples of this reworking. Add in Ferry's love of glamour and the dressing up was all part of it.

Categories are just categories, they don't have neat boundaries.

Sorry, you've lost me. What's the pink album? :confused:

Ladytron, If There Is Something & Remake/Remodel are nothing like Glam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

I think it's the First album named Roxy Music. The woman on the front cover is wearing a Pink Dress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The pink album is my short hand for the first Roxy Album.

Glam doesn't have one sound there was a fair amount of variety and experiment (T.Rex, Bowie, Cockney Rebel) but much of the music was looking back to rock and pop's past and re imagining it. And those Roxy songs are great examples..just listen to the Joe Meek influenced sound in 'Ladytron' and the country swing in 'If There is Something'.

It's wrong to judge glam as some sort of lesser music because of the clothes or the misconceived idea that it is novelty music. I've mentioned enough bands to show it's not.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do like some Slade and Sweet, but not a massive fan. As been said if a bit of delving is done into Sweet's tunes, there is some heavy stuff there.
    More of a power pop fan myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I think it's the First album named Roxy Music. The woman on the front cover is wearing a Pink Dress.
    The pink album is my short hand for the first Roxy Album.

Glam doesn't have one sound there was a fair amount of variety and experiment (T.Rex, Bowie, Cockney Rebel) but much of the music was looking back to rock and pop's past and re imagining it. And those Roxy songs are great examples..just listen to the Joe Meek influenced sound in 'Ladytron' and the country swing in 'If There is Something'.

It's wrong to judge glam as some sort of lesser music because of the clothes or the misconceived idea that it is novelty music. I've mentioned enough bands to show it's not.

The only pink is the edging on her swimsuit. No wonder I didn't twig.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. To me Glam is bands like Sweet, Glitter, Slade, Rubettes & their ilk.

Imo acts such as Roxy, Bowie, T Rex, Cockney Rebel weren't glam. Mostly because they were far more innovative & experimental. Glam was pretty basic stuff.

Roxy Music - Ladytron - sure, they looked glam but they sounded like they came from another planet. If you think that fits into the same genre as something like Cum On Feel The Noize then I can only assume our ears work very differently :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only pink is the edging on her swimsuit. No wonder I didn't twig.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. To me Glam is bands like Sweet, Glitter, Slade, Rubettes & their ilk.

Imo acts such as Roxy, Bowie, T Rex, Cockney Rebel weren't glam. Mostly because they were far more innovative & experimental. Glam was pretty basic stuff.

Roxy Music - Ladytron - sure, they looked glam but they sounded like they came from another planet. If you think that fits into the same genre as something like Cum On Feel The Noize then I can only assume our ears work very differently :)

Roxy Music's first Album ws once considered one of the most influential records of all time, and I still think you could make a case for it.

The whole cover is a play on glamour and nostalgia.
    The first track sets up the whole idea - with it's old rock riffs combined with the Eno doodling, we're looking back to look forward. It's brilliant! Then there's 'Ladytron''s homage to The Tornados 'Telstar'. And If there is a more glam sounding track than 'Would you Believe?' I'd like to hear it.

Just because they are eclectic doesn't stop Roxy being glam. And if you are so into genre classifications have a look at the wikipedia entry for the Roxy Music album.

David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust not a glam artist?
    Does Bowie's 'Jean Genie' come from the same sonic universe as The Sweet's 'Blockbuster', undoubtedly it does...same riff..same throwback.

Bolan and T.Rex invented glam rock more or less. But Marc loved Little Richard and Chuck Berry ('Meanwhile I'm still thinking...last line of 'Get it on') but he gave us a restyled version.

Glam is a broad Church in reality and much preferable to that awfully earnest 'Prog' Rock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this the first 'glam rock' single?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HnQKAWoGI

I first heard it on Bolan's greatest hits, was surprised it was from 1969 as it sounds four or five years ahead of its time.

Honestly, I would say 'One Inch Rock' or 'Deborah' which came out in 1968 have better claims. Although I think the link is to the later version.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like Marc Bolan. I thought he was quite innovative for his time.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, Love T.Rex and Marc Bolan, Mud, Sweet, Suzi Q and I liked The Rubettes..wasn't quite a slade fan back then, Liked some songs not many..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roxy Music's first Album ws once considered one of the most influential records of all time, and I still think you could make a case for it.

The whole cover is a play on glamour and nostalgia.
    The first track sets up the whole idea - with it's old rock riffs combined with the Eno doodling, we're looking back to look forward. It's brilliant! Then there's 'Ladytron''s homage to The Tornados 'Telstar'. And If there is a more glam sounding track than 'Would you Believe?' I'd like to hear it.

Just because they are eclectic doesn't stop Roxy being glam. And if you are so into genre classifications have a look at the wikipedia entry for the Roxy Music album.

David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust not a glam artist?
    Does Bowie's 'Jean Genie' come from the same sonic universe as The Sweet's 'Blockbuster', undoubtedly it does...same riff..same throwback.

Bolan and T.Rex invented glam rock more or less. But Marc loved Little Richard and Chuck Berry ('Meanwhile I'm still thinking...last line of 'Get it on') but he gave us a restyled version.

Glam is a broad Church in reality and much preferable to that awfully earnest 'Prog' Rock.

Even in Prog Glam touched it a bit. Remember Rick Wakeman's Wizzard gowns. Chris Squire also from Yes had similar outfits with flowing robes.

Genesis had Peter Gabriel dressing up in all sorts of Weird ways. Granted Pink Floyd never dressed up.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge fan of Mark Bolan's T-Rex and own Electric Warrior and The Slider on vinyl:cool:
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roxy weren't glam though. They were Art Rock. File alongside Velvet Underground, not Sweet

Roxy were glam art-rockers, like Bowie. Eno was the epitome of glam in the early 70's! It was a stylistic expression through fashion, not an amorphous sound that everyone conveniently fitted into. Glam is not a dirty word! :)
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been Youtubing... yes the Sandy Nelson sounds a bit like prototype glam, it's from 1961, amazed it took so long for people like Bolan and Glitter to pick up from that.

Shane Fenton's stuff sounds very dated... have you ever heard the song 'Bobby Dazzler' by First Class? It's about someone who wants to be a pop star, and changes his image to fit all the different crazes and fads of the 60s and 70s... maybe they were having a pop at Stardust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x62pvYYFons

(I found it on a blog, it's a genius song!).

As for Roy Wood, I think some of his stuff - 'Rock And Roll Winter' for example - is quite sophisticated, maybe he was more for the music than performance.

bolan and glitter, along with slade and bowie too were 'failed' 60's acts. they had all been trying for years but frankly didnt cut it with the 60's crowd. im abit biased then against glam stars, its like they were only successful after the 60's greats had had their day.

i like woody, i liked wizzard, i was raving about 'see my baby jive' to fellow schoolmates who took the piss 'where is it'? (release date had been put back). after easter it was #1 ! lol... i was cool for a couple of days! :D

heard 'going down the road'?.. its a scottish reggae song! :eek::D
    Roxy weren't glam though. They were Art Rock. File alongside Velvet Underground, not Sweet

but benefitted by embracing the glam scene...
    I've always felt that Slade hamstrung themselves with the Glam thing.

If they had dressed more like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd then I think they would get a lot more respect these days.

well they did go on to retain their following as they moved into proper rock, playing at monsters of rock etc. i agree, noddy has a great rock voice.
    I think you might want to go back and have a look how Zeppelin dressed in the early 70s. The size of Plant's loons and Page was a bit of a glam dresser actually.

thought that was more 60's hippy then glam....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Roxy were glam art-rockers, like Bowie. Eno was the epitome of glam in the early 70's! It was a stylistic expression through fashion, not an amorphous sound that everyone conveniently fitted into. Glam is not a dirty word! :)

Of course they were. And the fashion fitted well with the music. Unfortunately, Ferry became a little too obsessed with style over substance.
    thought that was more 60's hippy then glam....

Just thought Page was a bit more risky in his wardrobe choices. The rest were more hippy but they were not stylish at all.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they were. And the fashion fitted well with the music. Unfortunately, Ferry became a little too obsessed with style over substance.

Just thought Page was a bit more risky in his wardrobe choices. The rest were more hippy but they were not stylish at all.

I think Ferry got a little bit lost in the world of high society, but he still had the tunes at least until the early 80's.
    As a Zep fan, I would definitely say the boys glammed up around '73 or so. Apart from Bonzo. :D
  • Options
    Lady StardustLady Stardust Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    This has become a very educational thread when it comes to the glam/not glam debate. I'm enjoying reading the posts. :)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the glam groups...........sweet and slade were my favourites, also Mud, glitter............:o............T rex etc

Suzi Quattro was sexeeeeeeeeee, but I never thought of her as 'glam'. She dressed in black leather !

I never thought as Bowie as Glam either.........or Roxy Music

To me Glam was a phenomena of the 3 minute single with no pretensions to artistic merit and aimed at teenagers................Bowie and Roxy were too grown up to be Glam.

Actually Glam wasn't really aimed at me as I'd already been into the Stones, Blues, Hendrix etc before..............I suppose I was having a fling at re-living my teen years in the early 70s...............and having a break from anything 'serious'..............:)

I remember borrowing a Sweet double album from the library which had the hits on one LP and the other LP was really heavy metal rock..............which came as a bit of a surprise to me !

My favourite single from that era was 'Cos I Love You' by slade..........one of the great singles ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Slade were a skinhead band.

Manager Chas Chandler convinced them to jump on the Glam bandwagon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember Jobriath?
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast Fuse wrote: »

Yes but play their skinhead stuff and their glam stuff blind side by side and all you'll hear is a great, great rock band.

The whole image thing was just an unfortunate distraction from the music.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fast Fuse wrote: »

They weren't really a skinhead band though. Chas got them to try the in image when he first took them on, and that was skinhead.

They were awful at it, and soon ditched it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I liked the glam groups...........sweet and slade were my favourites, also Mud, glitter............:o............T rex etc

Suzi Quattro was sexeeeeeeeeee, but I never thought of her as 'glam'. She dressed in black leather !

I never thought as Bowie as Glam either.........or Roxy Music

To me Glam was a phenomena of the 3 minute single with no pretensions to artistic merit and aimed at teenagers................Bowie and Roxy were too grown up to be Glam.

Actually Glam wasn't really aimed at me as I'd already been into the Stones, Blues, Hendrix etc before..............I suppose I was having a fling at re-living my teen years in the early 70s...............and having a break from anything 'serious'..............:)

I remember borrowing a Sweet double album from the library which had the hits on one LP and the other LP was really heavy metal rock..............which came as a bit of a surprise to me !

My favourite single from that era was 'Cos I Love You' by slade..........one of the great singles ?

Thank you! I must have been very grown up pre-teen then :D :cool: