Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 32)

Comments

• Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I reckon Michael Palin's Brazil documentary will go against Downton, New Tricks i would think will air in August once The Olympics have finished.
    Yes, both those sound likely to me. :)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    The worrying thing about UD is that it is not gaining momentum after three episodes. I think it is likely to continue to lose viewers and the figures could become embarrassing like the Royal bodygaurd

It's in serious trouble if it sinks below 5m in the overnights, which it came perilously close to doing last night.

Did UD lose viewers to Orbit last night? (Rhetorical question). I watched Orbit last night (but have never been a UD viewer) and it seemed a bit "BBC1-dumbed-down-for-the-kids".
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    I truly believe that the BBC kept The Voice back until the spring deliberately to coincide it with BGT because they see that Strictly gets a boost from the publicity it gets through the Strctly v X Factor press stories.

As has been pointed out it's hardly a surprise to the BBC that BGT will be running in this particular time of the year.
    The show was always going to get lots of publicity anyway. The media see it as the next big thing based on the overwhelmingly positive reaction for it in other countries. So instead of having a free run it will find itself having to compete with a show targetting more or less the same demographic.

I suppose there's an argument for it being a good thing that another BIG show is on as it means more TV viewers overall which The Voice may in turn benefit from, but the lighter evenings in spring and the potential for clashes means this is far from a sure thing.

Isn't it better anyway to be the standout hit on an otherwise mediocre night than second best on a busy night?
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US Ratings Sunday March 4

ABC's Once Upon A Time continued its roller coaster season climbing three tenths vs. its last original episode. It was easily the biggest show of the night being the only broadcast show to break a 3 in the demo. We'll wait and see whether that's enough to beat AMC's The Walking Dead this week or not.

Sticking with ABC the show that's name has changed nearly every other week GCB (or Good Christian Bitches or Good Christian Belles or any other number of things) had a stumbling debut at 10PM. That's up on the cancelled Pan Am's finale but not much else can be said about it. Of course if everyone can explain why it was debuting at 10PM out of a faltering Housewives rather than at 9PM out of Once Upon a Time you're a better man than me. ABC's questionable scheduling decisions continue. Speaking of Housewives it was up three tenths vs. its last original.

Sunday's continue to be a rare thing on broadcast television – a bad night for CBS. Amazing Race was up vs, last weeks epiose that aired opposite the Oscars but that's the only good news. CSI: Miami was down vs. its last original and The Good Wife seems determined to test just how much coverage Emmy's, critical love and nearing syndication can get them.

Fox's Animation Domination was basically steady vs. its last run of original episodes a couple of weeks ago. And on NBC three hours of Donald Trump (including an hour of Celebrity Apprentice repeats) maybe wasn't the magic recipe. Celebrity Apprentice averaged a 2.3 from 9PM up vs. last weeks Oscar dented show but down vs. two weeks ago. They did however win the 10PM hour which is something I guess...

ABC
    7PM: America's Funniest Home Videos – 2.2 [8.04]
    8PM: Once Upon A Time – 3.4 [10.62]
    9PM: Desperate Housewives – 2.5 [8.16]
    10PM: GCB – 2.2 [7.60]

CBS
    7PM: 60 Minutes – 1.6 [11.47]
    8PM: Amazing Race – 2.8 [10.37]
    9PM: The Good Wife – 1.8 [9.71]
    10PM: CSI: Miami – 2.0 [10.00]

Fox
    7PM: Bob's Burgers [r] – 0.8 [2.00]
    7:30PM: The Cleveland Show – 1.6 [3.16]
    8PM: The Simpsons – 2.5 [5.17]
    8:30PM: Napoleon Dynamite – 2.0 [4.04]
    9PM: Family Guy – 2.8 [5.34]
    9:30PM: American Dad! - 2.1 [4.26]

NBC
    7PM: Dateline – 1.0 [5.09]
    8PM: Celebrity Apprentice [r] – 1.1 [3.77]
    9PM: Celebrity Apprentice – 2.2 [6.31]
    10PM: Celebrity Apprentice – 2.4 [6.97]
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV1 getting one over the BBC1 with period dramas and BBC1 attacking ITV1 with a singing talent show - who would have guessed this scenario a few years ago!
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSI: Miami I think will be renewed for another season, The Good Wife I think will be moved to Fridays for a final season in order to get to syndication.

CBS needs to sort their Sunday Night schedule but I'm unsure what would work.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    ITV might be reluctant to put BGT on as late as 8.30pm (potentially running to 10pm). But it might be the best option if it keeps it clear of The Voice - a head-to-head could quickly backfire. And it's going to need to be a good series anyway to stay ahead.
    I'm sure since the auditions have been on Saturdays they've been as late as 8.30pm more than once - pretty sure at least one year they had a 90 minute episode from 8.30-10pm. It's always played a bit later in the schedules than The X Factor, though has settled in around 8pm over the last couple of years.
    Me too.

All those writing UD off are being premature.

You just have to look at what BBC One is averaging most nights at 9pm to see its a hit.
    Most those 9pm shows though come in much cheaper than Upstairs Downstairs, and with the budget squeezed at the BBC they can't afford to keep mediocre hits going at the expense of new drama.
  • Options
    J.R.EwingJ.R.Ewing Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    ITV1 getting one over the BBC1 with period dramas and BBC1 attacking ITV1 with a singing talent show - who would have guessed this scenario a few years ago!

Call The Midwife has completely stolen Downton Abbey's thunder though.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

Has been done before, the BBC was stunned by the quality of the Jewel in the Crown and Brideshead Revisited in the early 80s, which made many of their dramas look cheap and pedestrian, and ITV were knocked when the BBC revived their most successful entertainment show of the seventies, Op Knocks, in 1987 and attracted 17 million viewers.
    Yet the biggest shock so far this year is the once mighty DOI being beaten by a drama that on paper didn't look too promising, CTM, a drama about midwives in the fifties, but which has gone on to be a massive hit and put the future of DOI in doubt( well on here anyway). Next up I wonder which well established show will be beaten by a surprise hit of a different genre.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie (the murder episode) started at 8.29pm.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    EastEnders finished at 8:26 ...It usually runs to time a bit more on a Monday
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »

Better be tape checked, wouldn't want any confusion as to which figures are right and should be listened to...:p:D

Also noticed on the recent BARB figures, that EastEnders episodes w/e 26th Feb averaged 8.76 million viewers where as Coronation Street got 8.78 million, so much for a big crisis and it being miles behind... Emmerdale on the other hand got 7.52 million... And then theres all the +1's and other repeats :p:D
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have the official ratings for the Marseille v Inter Milan CL game on the 22nd of Feb?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the official ratings for the Marseille v Inter Milan CL game on the 22nd of Feb?

What Channel was it on??
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Has been done before, the BBC was stunned by the quality of the Jewel in the Crown and Brideshead Revisited in the early 80s, which made many of their dramas look cheap and pedestrian, and ITV were knocked when the BBC revived their most successful entertainment show of the seventies, Op Knocks, in 1987 and attracted 17 million viewers.
    Yet the biggest shock so far this year is the once mighty DOI being beaten by a drama that on paper didn't look too promising, CTM, a drama about midwives in the fifties, but which has gone on to be a massive hit and put the future of DOI in doubt( well on here anyway). Next up I wonder which well established show will be beaten by a surprise hit of a different genre.
    I wonder how Call the Midwife would do against The X Factor results.
    Joe40 wrote: »
    As it usually does on Mondays.

P.S. No info on the UK show yet but interestingly the BBC are doing a special Sport Relief for global audiences on March 31st, though I suspect it'll basically be ours repackaged.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/190112sportrelief.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danisfunny wrote: »
    What Channel was it on??
    On ITV1
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better be tape checked, wouldn't want any confusion as to which figures are right and should be listened to...:p:D

Also noticed on the recent BARB figures, that EastEnders episodes w/e 26th Feb averaged 8.76 million viewers where as Coronation Street got 8.78 million, so much for a big crisis and it being miles behind... Emmerdale on the other hand got 7.52 million... And then theres all the +1's and other repeats :p:D

You've forgotten ITV1 HD for Corrie and Emmerdale. It is:

Coronation Street - 9.398m
    EastEnders - 8.767m
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Most those 9pm shows though come in much cheaper than Upstairs Downstairs, and with the budget squeezed at the BBC they can't afford to keep mediocre hits going at the expense of new drama.
    Upstairs Downstairs is a bit a tricky one to work out right now.

In and of itself it isn't doing badly but its got a pretty horrible set of circumstances surrounding it that has raised the bar to an almost impossibly high level. The success of Downton Abbey both critically and commercially was bad but when you add into that the amount of time and money the BBC spent getting this off the ground, the big Christmas period push it got for series one and then the out of nowhere success of Call the Midwife it is undeniably losing the expectations game.

I think Midwife's runaway success probably sealed Upstairs fate though to be honest. They just don't need Upstairs Downstairs now.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how Call the Midwife would do against The X Factor results.

As it usually does on Mondays.

P.S. No info on the UK show yet but interestingly the BBC are doing a special Sport Relief for global audiences on March 31st, though I suspect it'll basically be ours repackaged.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/190112sportrelief.html

Who knows if the backlash against TXF gains momentum again. Oh I'd love to see Simon Cowell's face if TXF is beaten by 3 million viewers by a drama like this. People recognise that CTM is a quality drama which will be well remembered for years while stuff like DOI, though not a bad show, is just throwaway entertainment.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member

There's no big crisis.
    The Daily mirror clearly didn't have much 'news' to print about on that day because since there has been no mention of it by them or anyone else from the media.

EastEnders is doing fine.
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Upstairs Downstairs is a bit a tricky one to work out right now.

In and of itself it isn't doing badly but its got a pretty horrible set of circumstances surrounding it that has raised the bar to an almost impossibly high level. The success of Downton Abbey both critically and commercially was bad but when you add into that the amount of time and money the BBC spent getting this off the ground, the big Christmas period push it got for series one and then the out of nowhere success of Call the Midwife it is undeniably losing the expectations game.

I think Midwife's runaway success probably sealed Upstairs fate though to be honest. They just don't need Upstairs Downstairs now.

Heidi Thomas implied at the Upstairs Downstairs launch that series 3 had already been written. I think it will get the go ahead. Series 2 had to be completely altered when Eileen Atkins quit at the last minute and then again following Jean Marsh's stroke. That will be taken into account.

Like I said in the Upstairs Downstairs thread. I think it will come down to Danny's faith in Heidi rather than the actual ratings. I'm sure it will rise again next week so if it stays stable for the next few episodes I see no reason why it won't be back.

You're right though about Call The Midwife. It being such a success means the BBC can drop UD if they wish. Something tells me though because of all the trouble they went to in order to get the rights and the years it took, they won't be letting it go so easy. Series 3 will probably get new producers. That is the most likely outcome I would say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have the Marseille v Inter Milan CL Ratings for Wed 22nd of Feb. It was on ITV1. The overnight rating was 2.45m
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    There's no big crisis.
    The Daily mirror clearly didn't have much 'news' to print about on that day because since there has been no mention of it by them or anyone else from the media.

EastEnders is doing fine.

EastEnders isn't doing fine. It has lost the 2 million viewers that it had all through December and the first few weeks of January within a matter of weeks. Its recent shares infact are terrible. This is cause for concern alone. Its also NEVER been this close to Emmerdale on a consistant scale day in day out. Its Corrie that EastEnders should be even Stevens with not Emmerdale.

People have been burying their heads in the sand for too long on the subject of EE. Silly excuses like BBQs in the middle of February, football matches and hot weather don't wash. Its the constant excuses what have pushed EastEnders into the mess its in.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure since the auditions have been on Saturdays they've been as late as 8.30pm more than once - pretty sure at least one year they had a 90 minute episode from 8.30-10pm. It's always played a bit later in the schedules than The X Factor, though has settled in around 8pm over the last couple of years.

Yeah last year's launch ran from 8:20-9:50pm and rated well so a later slot isn't a problem. In 2009 (the highest rated year) the audition shows were slightly later than the other Saturday series, often starting at 8:20pm (with another episode running 8:20-9:50pm) so I think a later slot may be the way for them to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    EastEnders isn't doing fine. It has lost the 2 million viewers that it had all through December and the first few weeks of January within a matter of weeks. Its recent shares infact are terrible. Its also NEVER been this close to Emmerdale on a consistant scale day in day out. Its Corrie that EastEnders should be even Stevens with not Emmerdale.

People have been burying their heads in the sand for too long on the subject of EE. Silly excuses like BBQs in the middle of February, football matches and hot weather don't wash. Its the constant excuses what have pushed EastEnders into the mess its in.

Huh:confused: Myself and one other poster have just shown that the ratings are a lot higher than Emmerdale and less than 700k off Corrie, which just happens to be just below the average viewing for the 10pm repeat?? :)
This discussion has been closed.