Radio 2 BOGOF offer.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I thought his show was Live not recorded?

I would imagine it is recorded. I've often thought Radio2 relies too much on pre records at the weekends.

Out of interest is Bob Harris live? It doesnt sound live this week, even though Keston Cobblers Club are advertised as 'playing live' but I'm sure Bob said it was recorded. But is the majority of this show usually live?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    I would imagine it is recorded. I've often thought Radio2 relies too much on pre records at the weekends.

Out of interest is Bob Harris live? It doesnt sound live this week, even though Keston Cobblers Club are advertised as 'playing live' but I'm sure Bob said it was recorded. But is the majority of this show usually live?

Recorded Live. Depends how they feel & guess when the bands are free.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm often defensive of Auntie, but a national network really should be able to do better than this.

Indeed. Radio 2 is only 'catching up' with Radio 4, where instances of dead air, or the GTS popping up at xx:15 are far more frequent since the duty announcer has had to take on more 'operational' duties.

Another thing, which I've not seen anyone mention on DS, is that Radio 2's Radiotext data is seen on RDS often lags several hours behind. For instance Chris Evans appearing at lunchtime, Vine appearing at Drivetime.

Radio 4 (and presumably R1 and 3) suffer similar problems.

As you say, they really should be doing better than this.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errors do happen.

What is less forgiveable is that it took 15 minutes for action to be taken to corect the mistake.

For a national station like Radio 2 it is simply not good enough.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Errors do happen.

What is less forgiveable is that it took 15 minutes for action to be taken to corect the mistake.

For a national station like Radio 2 it is simply not good enough.
    how do you know that no action was taken for 15 mins......

One issue is that the system are often not engineered to a) not go wrong
    b) if it fails to get back on air rapidly.

As the BBC sold their expertise in broadcast systems (and then refused to buy its services) is it surprising that these things happen??????
    After all "you can buy it all off the shelf as it is commodity IT"
    (and what SLA does that have?????)
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Article in the Telegraph today saying it happened on Friday??
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    Another thing, which I've not seen anyone mention on DS, is that Radio 2's Radiotext data is seen on RDS often lags several hours behind. For instance Chris Evans appearing at lunchtime, Vine appearing at Drivetime.

I've noticed this often over the past few weeks. Anyone know what could be causing it?
  • Options
    Alan ThewAlan Thew Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »

Yes, it's forced me off FM on to DAB several times since Christmas when the 'now playing' track information has got stuck. On DAB it's always been correct. Maybe a BBC ploy to get us unwilling types (me) to switch to digital...