on pop idol and pop stars the rivals did the judges have their own categories

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
I was trying to remember but can't. If not isn't that a better idea that the show has nothing to do with the judges just the viewing public.

Comments

• TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    No, and the judges having their own categories is one of the reasons that X Factor is even still on the air.
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    I was trying to remember but can't. If not isn't that a better idea that the show has nothing to do with the judges just the viewing public.

The show is better being about the judges. Every show that isn't has failed.
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kingsy wrote: »
    The show is better being about the judges. Every show that isn't has failed.

True, the focus on the judges is a major factor in the 'success' of formats like The X Factor and The Voice worldwide.
  • velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Kind of. None for Pop Idol, but with Popstars the Rivals Pete Waterman managed the boys while Louis Walsh managed the girls. This management was extended post show (until One True Voice disbanded and Louis and Girls Aloud parted ways). Geri Halliwell acted as an impartial judge. During the live shows none of the judges had any say on who stayed in the competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The judges were added to make the show hopefully more entertaining.:p
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I miss Popstars the Rivals, I remember being glued to it back in the day. Also I remember the audition stages were the vocal was overlooked in favour of the appearance of the person, which is lets face it how these groups are often put together.

With Cheryl's audition all they did was comment on how good looking she was.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWus7NUeyY
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I miss Popstars the Rivals, I remember being glued to it back in the day. Also I remember the audition stages were the vocal was overlooked in favour of the appearance of the person, which is lets face it how these groups are often put together.

With Cheryl's audition all they did was comment on how good looking she was.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWus7NUeyY

No dramatic pauses back them, you're in, you're out. Loads of BS, Louis is dead right. If this had been the XF all of Girls Aloud would've been laughed out except possibly Nadine and Nicola.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutey, doubt they'd have made it past pre-screening. Although a girl like Stephanie Nala would be perfect looking for a girl group whereas doesn't suit being a solo artist on this show.

Mollie King from The Saturdays failed on 2 occasions on XF and is now likely more successful than most of the winners of XF.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutey, doubt they'd have made it past pre-screening. Although a girl like Stephanie Nala would be perfect looking for a girl group whereas doesn't suit being a solo artist on this show.

Mollie King from The Saturdays failed on 2 occasions on XF and is now likely more successful than most of the winners of XF.

My thought exactly. Stephanie had girlband written all over her.
  • kaz80kaz80 Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they did on the Rivals one :/ maybe not but all i remember is Pete Waterman had One True Voice, and Louis (?) Girls Aloud
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was agreed Pete and Louis would manage both acts but I don't think they mentored the contestants through the process. It wasn't until after the groups were chosen that they took over.

And as much as people hate on Louis his initial vision for Girls Aloud was what helped them get a strong start in music biz whereas OTV flopped.