Xbox One suffering to PS4?

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Yep! ... Bayonetta2, MarioKart8 & SmashBros! ... Potentially the 3 greatest games of 2014 & nobody even remotely cares! ... Some gaming fans u are! :( ;-)

I do.... I bought all of these titles.. And more :-)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Indeed. Halo 1 was the title that saved the original Xbox from complete disaster.

But the PS4 is already ahead by a considerable margin, and likely to be ahead this time next year in terms of the worldwide install base. Uncharted is proving to be a super hot franchise, and there is considerable hype for Sony's best exclusive this time next year.

A great Uncharted 4 game could send the PS4 to get that unassailable lead.

And Nintendo too have a great 2015 of exclusive content for the wii U. I am not making any predictions for it. But something tells me that Nintendo will easily 'validate' its place in the home console market.

I don't think Halo will make the Xbox catch up with the PS4, that probably won't happen until towards the end of this generations life cycle, but it will help shift the console.

The other game for Xbox that also might help, maybe Quantum Break which looked very promising, just need to hear a little more on this.

One thing though is that both consoles will have great games, the most ardent fans might not admit it, but secretly they know it to be true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Really, and where are they going? I think windows still has over 90% of the market share for OS.

Home users may try something new, but businesses and a lot of them still rely on windows and will for many many years to come.

Lots of places

Tablets, Phones, Macs, Linux.

As to business, companies are looking for escape routes, often by using web front ends. A lot due to licencing costs, and Windows 8
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    :confused: People are fed up with Windows? I really don't think that is much to worry about. Microsoft isn't going anywhere nor are it's billion dollar products.

They are diversifying but not enough, where are they in the phone and tablet market?
    Forum Member
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I am slightly confused by your post. While they have removed the Kinect the space it did free up to my knowledge has not been used. I stand to be corrected but the machine is the same as the original with the Kinect in terms of spec ? What it did do is drop the price to match the Ps4.

To be honest the difference in spec is one that most people will not notice. Certainly I would have trouble telling 720 from 1040 or a least I would not care when playing games. On the flip side of this is why would I pay the same amount for a product that was technically worst ? Perhaps if it was slightly cheaper or had a feature or game I really wanted then maybe.

On exclusives while they do help to sell consoles I don't think many people actually based their purchase on them. You might have a minority of people that have to have Halo or Uncharted but I think the average gamer is more balanced.

fastest finger mentioned about the PS4 being in consciousness of the public I think that is really the key problem for Microsoft. They can fix things like removing Kinect, adding games for gold but they are just following the leaders. You will always be playing catch up it is very difficult to turn around the public views on a product. Sony got lucky in that Microsoft handed it to them on a plate. All Sony had to do was just take the opposite stand to anything Microsoft said. They backed the gamers view points and won a massive moral victory.

A lot of people only want to play 1 or 2 games, COD and Football, seen them here before, I suggested a lot of good games from the 3 main companies, they said no only COd and Football, I said do not bother us as they were not a gamer.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of places

Tablets, Phones, Macs, Linux.

As to business, companies are looking for escape routes, often by using web front ends. A lot due to licencing costs, and Windows 8

A lot of companies use outdated versions of windows, my nhs trust is still using an xp variant. Licensing costs are prohibitive.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I'm not really sure how many people go out and buy a console because of one game. Now of course so called hardcore gamers may/will. But as I posted earlier they don't sell the amount of consoles needed to be truly successful.

You need the families, they will buy a console, they will buy several games and most important being a family will invest heavily in the peripherals. You need the mums and dads, grannies etc walking into Game and declaring they want that funny little game, with the little cars etc. That's where the Wii won the last round. Yes it was probably only brought out 3 or 4 times a year for the whole family to play, but they would then go and get the latest game for the Wii. Would be interesting to see how many people bought more than say 5 games for the Wii?

Sony did a great PR job on the PS4 nearly mimicking the PS1 in terms of desirability and coolness, while the Xbox managed to alienate it's core fan base and confuse the family purchaser all in one go, very much like Nintendo did with the WiiU how to "grasp defeat from the jaws of victory".

Now Sony have to start backing up it's claims and promises, or the Xbox will start making inroads. It's beyond believe that nearly a year after release we don't have a driving game. Where's GT, why bother spending all that time and money on Driveclub, when Sony already had a racer with a hugh fan base and a proven track record. Where's the bloody multi media controller, I can't believe it's that hard to make one, they already had one, just change a few bits inside and bang, there you go. I hate using the controller to control Blu Rays, one slight tap and the thing pauses, or fast forwards etc. I still use my PS3 for films, why? because I have a decent remote for it.

They need to stop with the indie titles on PS+ and drop some proper games. Knack for instance, I can't believe Sony is making any more money from it. Killzone same thing, and it would probably see a resurgence in onlne play making PS+ even more desirable.

Sony have it all to play for and all to loose, sometimes I just think the Company is to controlled from Japan and needs to look west sometimes.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do.... I bought all of these titles.. And more :-)

Your a ***true gamer*** mate! 👍😎😉
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member

very much like Nintendo did with the WiiU how to "grasp defeat from the jaws of victory".

I think Nintendo's original plan for the families would have been people gathering around the TV set playing Nintendoland or/and Game & Wario, with the Gamepad. It didn't work out, and they knew it, the first time the Wii U was announced; hence the lack of advertising. They themselves were not confident of the strategy they were taking.

Launching the Wii U with Zombi U, seemed to confirm that Nintendo were stuck between attracting the perception of different 2 sets of gamers.

Since then, Nintendo are slowly try to salvage something out of the Wii U, and although it will never have a big catalog of games. An handful of titles on it will be great.

Now Sony have to start backing up it's claims and promises, or the Xbox will start making inroads. It's beyond believe that nearly a year after release we don't have a driving game. Where's GT, why bother spending all that time and money on Driveclub, when Sony already had a racer with a hugh fan base and a proven track record.

I agree. I think Sony came out with DriveClub to fill the void with Gran Turismo, which takes even a longer time to develop.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure how many people go out and buy a console because of one game. Now of course so called hardcore gamers may/will. But as I posted earlier they don't sell the amount of consoles needed to be truly successful.

You need the families, they will buy a console, they will buy several games and most important being a family will invest heavily in the peripherals. You need the mums and dads, grannies etc walking into Game and declaring they want that funny little game, with the little cars etc. That's where the Wii won the last round. Yes it was probably only brought out 3 or 4 times a year for the whole family to play, but they would then go and get the latest game for the Wii. Would be interesting to see how many people bought more than say 5 games for the Wii?

Sony did a great PR job on the PS4 nearly mimicking the PS1 in terms of desirability and coolness, while the Xbox managed to alienate it's core fan base and confuse the family purchaser all in one go, very much like Nintendo did with the WiiU how to "grasp defeat from the jaws of victory".

Now Sony have to start backing up it's claims and promises, or the Xbox will start making inroads. It's beyond believe that nearly a year after release we don't have a driving game. Where's GT, why bother spending all that time and money on Driveclub, when Sony already had a racer with a hugh fan base and a proven track record. Where's the bloody multi media controller, I can't believe it's that hard to make one, they already had one, just change a few bits inside and bang, there you go. I hate using the controller to control Blu Rays, one slight tap and the thing pauses, or fast forwards etc. I still use my PS3 for films, why? because I have a decent remote for it.

They need to stop with the indie titles on PS+ and drop some proper games. Knack for instance, I can't believe Sony is making any more money from it. Killzone same thing, and it would probably see a resurgence in onlne play making PS+ even more desirable.

Sony have it all to play for and all to loose, sometimes I just think the Company is to controlled from Japan and needs to look west sometimes.
    Fully agree with this - great post. I bought a PS4 a couple of months back, but if I was choosing now I'd go for Xbox one.

For me my main bug bears are...

Driveclub was a dismal failure (launch)
    UI hardly ever updated - xbox gets monthly upgrades (and for me the xbox has the better UI)
    No media remote
    Fair enough xbox have had 10 years of investment on xbox live, whereas PS plus hasn't been anywhere near that amount of time - but PSN needs serious investment to make it stable
    Announce that resume feature (turn off your PS4 mid game - when you turn it back on it resumes where you were) but still over a year later we don't have it

I agree as well that it would be nice to get titles like Infamous on PS+ rather than the constant indies, but to be fair you don't get any better on games on gold on the xbox.

And finally agree about Sony as a whole - Microsoft being western does seem to make a difference. I read a great book recently about Sega - and Sega Japan really harmed Sega of America.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    And finally agree about Sony as a whole - Microsoft being western does seem to make a difference. I read a great book recently about Sega - and Sega Japan really harmed Sega of America.

But MS are too western as a whole. I doubt we would have had games like Puppeteer if Sony was as western focused as MS are. Sony do need to use their European and American side more though. Firmware updates could really do with a western developer in control or allowed heavy influence.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I can't see why Sony and MS don't leave "final tweaking" to the host countries. As fare as I'm aware a lot of Xbox's media things like "fantasy football" etc are only of use in America. So we're (collective we're, I don't own an Xbox) paying for things that will never be used in Europe. So leave the Major development to the host country, then allow regional changes.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm not buying into the whole "Xbox live has had 10 years of investment, while Sonys PSN has only had 1 year".

We've only been paying for mandatory PSN on the ps4 for 1 year but PSN has been around as long as Xbox Live. Microsoft may have been getting more revenue for their network but PSN was fine on the PS3, but not on the ps4. I haven't seen as many disasters and downtime as I've seen this year.
    And it's clear Sony aren't investing money into PSN. They're getting $400 million a year in PSN subs and they are not putting this into the network or the games they provide us.

Playstations network is extremely unstable. I have never owned an Xbox so I cannot say from experience what their network is like, but I believe it to be a lot lot better than Sonys. I don't believe it's down to Microsoft getting more income from subscriptions. I just think it's something Microsoft is a lot better at, and Sonys unwillingness to invest in it.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I'm not buying into the whole "Xbox live has had 10 years of investment, while Sonys PSN has only had 1 year".

We've only been paying for mandatory PSN on the ps4 for 1 year but PSN has been around as long as Xbox Live. Microsoft may have been getting more revenue for their network but PSN was fine on the PS3, but not on the ps4. I haven't seen as many disasters and downtime as I've seen this year.

And it's clear Sony aren't investing money into PSN. They're getting $400 million a year in PSN subs and they are not putting this into the network or the games they provide us.

Playstations network is extremely unstable. I have never owned an Xbox so I cannot say from experience what their network is like, but I believe it to be a lot lot better than Sonys. I don't believe it's down to Microsoft getting more income from subscriptions. I just think it's something Microsoft is a lot better at, and Sonys unwillingness to invest in it.

youve only been paying for Multiplayer since the PS4 launch via the PS Plus sub,so they have only been like for like for 12 months
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope I haven't wasted £40 on Driveclub
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

I do think if you are going to charge for a service such as the PSN then we should expect something better than when it was a free service.
    I was going to get Driveclub but after the average reviews and issues with the online element of the game I have decided to give this a miss for now.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope I haven't wasted £40 on Driveclub

Its quite good despite its problems but don't be scared to get tough with the ai as they certainly do with you.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe small companies are 'looking for escape routes' but the large ones, the important ones to MS, aren't going anywhere. Trust me, I deal with them in my job. You may hear stories of companies switching to Open Office or Linux. But the majority of them end back with MS as their employees can't handle non-MS products.

Plus sorry, web front ends isn't where the majority of them are looking. Anyway, if they were to use a web front end what OS is the machine they're on using to access it? :):p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Its quite good despite its problems but don't be scared to get tough with the ai as they certainly do with you.

its wrapped up, will try the online
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Maybe small companies are 'looking for escape routes' but the large ones, the important ones to MS, aren't going anywhere. Trust me, I deal with them in my job. You may hear stories of companies switching to Open Office or Linux. But the majority of them end back with MS as their employees can't handle non-MS products.

Plus sorry, web front ends isn't where the majority of them are looking. Anyway, if they were to use a web front end what OS is the machine they're on using to access it? :):p

Well I am currently investigating WINE
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am currently investigating WINE

Wish I was!!!! 👍 🍷
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully THIS month I'll be getting a PS4. None of the XBox1 exclusives interest me other than Tomb Raider which is ages away.

I always owned a Sony console even though last gen the 360 got more use, mainly because it's the console my friends play on and I liked collecting achievements.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to the PS4 Injustice: Ultimate Edition will appear on PS+ in December, and in January it will get Infamous: First light (the standalone DLC campaign). For me that's much much better, hopefully more big name games start to appear from now on!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    In regards to the PS4 Injustice: Ultimate Edition will appear on PS+ in December, and in January it will get Infamous: First light (the standalone DLC campaign). For me that's much much better, hopefully more big name games start to appear from now on!

Bear in mind that the reason they announced 3 months lineup and the reason they included AAA titles in it is just to sell ps+ subs, as a lot of people's subs will be expiring at the end of this month (the one year anniversary of the ps4)
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that the reason they announced 3 months lineup and the reason they included AAA titles in it is just to sell ps+ subs, as a lot of people's subs will be expiring at the end of this month (the one year anniversary of the ps4)

Will it not be end of December, taking the free month into account.