Options

'The Nativity' BBC One (1 - 4 of 4 programmes) 20 December 2010

Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am looking forward to this series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x15ny
Four-part drama revealing the human story beneath the classic biblical tale, from the courtship of Mary and Joseph in Nazareth to the birth of Jesus in a Bethlehem stable.

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I am looking forward to this series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x15ny
    Four-part drama revealing the human story beneath the classic biblical tale, from the courtship of Mary and Joseph in Nazareth to the birth of Jesus in a Bethlehem stable.

Yes, I am too. And hats off to the BBC for actually making the bold move and showing this Christian based drama at the head of their prime time line up. It looks wonderful.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm interested to see what they make of it.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't normally go anywhere near this sort of thing, but it looks interesting from the trailer, so I'll probably give it a bash depending on what else is on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I saw the trailer today. It looks quite good. I'll give it a watch if there's nothing else I want to see more on.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    And hats off to the BBC for actually making the bold move and showing this Christian based drama at the head of their prime time line up. It looks wonderful.

Agreed... looking forward to it too.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks good, written by Tony Jordan he never fails to write quality drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    That actually looks like it could be interesting, like another poster mentioned, it's something I would normally avoid like the plague, but you know, it could be intriguing to see a modern take on this, could be really good, will def watch the first episode now. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Im not usually inclined to watch programmes of this thematic, but this looks interesting and I will defintely check it out.

On the subject of Christmas BBC looking forward to a number of programmes this year;

The Nativity,
    Come Fly with Me
    Upstairs Downstairs
    Doctor Who
    Just William
    Whistle and Ill come to you
    Miranda Christmas Special

And January is looking really exciting too with

Zen
    Acrtic with bruce Parry
    Human Planet
    Sinking of the Laconia
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Sounds perfect. I can't wait for something to watch in the days running up to Christmas! ;)
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also looking forward to watching the series over Christmas. :)
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    Haha....me too.:D
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Im not usually inclined to watch programmes of this thematic, but this looks interesting and I will defintely check it out.

On the subject of Christmas BBC looking forward to a number of programmes this year;

The Nativity,

Upstairs Downstairs

Whistle and Ill come to you

Sinking of the Laconia

Looking forward to these.

'Whistle and I'll come to you' is a scary story......:eek:
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of very good reviews of 'The Nativity' in the Telegraph here:

BBC's gentle, compassionate take on the Nativity

and:

A born-again Nativity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    There are a couple of very good reviews of 'The Nativity' in the Telegraph here:

BBC's gentle, compassionate take on the Nativity

and:

A born-again Nativity

Thank you :)
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We decided to watch this after seeing the trailers and we found it very enjoyable. Happy and gentle, nice and quiet. Full marks so far, I just hope the BBC resist the temptation to cram it with their usual PC and diversity messages.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was very boring it looked like a spoof, very wooden actors, imo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I watched the first 15 minutes then switched off. Considering everyone knows the story, I was expecting it to be a more exciting take on it, or show something a bit different. How do you make the most famous story ever known seem new? I think the characters could have been portrayed as more vivid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first episode, the variety, the story telling of different people's lives.

And I liked the review of 'The Nativity' in the Telegraph, particularly
    " ... I want people who have no particular faith, who don’t watch the God Channels, to watch this nativity. And if they have faith, to reinforce it. And if they haven’t, to make them think, ‘Wow, I don’t know, maybe… ’”
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Watched it but found it rather disappointing... you can't believe in the reality of the characters and it all looks so clean and polished and so anglicised! I wish they'd given it the recent "Price and Prejudice" naturalistic treatment (I'm talking about the movie with Keira Knightley), ie. no frills and with the feeling that "this is really what it was like"...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. It was really nice I thought:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the costumes looked odd and wish they'd used middle eastern looking actors. Think they have played it too safe
  • Options
    ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    tiggy145 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. It was really nice I thought:)

So did I Tiggy, and will be watching the remaining episodes.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Just to say there's another thread on this already... I watched and though it looked too much like a fairy tales when it's trying to make us believe that it really happened. Too unrealistic production and actors. I would have preferred it much more raw and as another poster said, with actors from the correct ethnic background...