Motd @ 50

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    It was 'The Way It Is' by Bruce Hornsby and the Range - which those with long memories will remember backing the run-through of the league tables in Final Score on Grandstand.

That's great, thanks a lot.
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Pretty bloody awful. What was it, a celebration of motd or the Russell Brand ego hour. Stupid theme tune sing along by a bunch of z listers who have nothing to do with the programme and the Alan and Piers double act, god help us. A really piss poor "documentary"
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I thought it was poor as well. Too many talking heads, most of which had nothing to do with the programme (Russell Brand.. why?) and not enough footage or history of the show.
    When are they showing the very 1st episode of MOTD again? I thought they said it was 10:20 (this morning) on the red button but I couldnt find it :confused:
    Edit: No its on Sunday, doh!
    Is it possible to record via the red button on Freesat?
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    What a shame Bob Wilson wasn't mentioned, whatever you thought of him he was a major part of this programme. Also Ian Wright is on there, didn't he leave BBC sport because he didn't get on with the other pundits? or was that just gossip
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea why the hell Russel Brand was on. BBC 1 seem incapable of doing a series documentary anymore. I don't know if they feel the viewer will be bored but I feel it insults our intelegence to have "celebratories" popping up all the time and limit what the program was actually about, The history of Match of the Day.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just cottoned on to what MOTD means......:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Mausoleum [POEM]

A mausoleum of creaking moribund jawbones
    Skull-cracked and dining-out
    Over auto-cues and licence fees
    The Premier League;
    Riddled with filth and corruption
    We pay for this tepid diversion

And Oh how we shall pay.

HF2014.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Omg Barry Davis commentating what a great bonus
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the old school graphics on Barry's game. Wonderful touch.
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »

I noticed that too, that was great :)
    Makes me feel old :( As recently as 1998 I remember the likes of Brian Moore commentating, and he was brillant :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Makes me feel old :( As recently as 1998 I remember the likes of Brian Moore commentating, and he was brillant :)

Also barrys commentary on the bergkamp goal for the Netherlands v Argentina in the 98 World Cup incredible stuff
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »

Yes the idea of Barry Davies commentating with old style graphics was very good. It was as good as the pandering to Russell Brand's ego was bad on the Friday night programme.
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Also barrys commentary on the bergkamp goal for the Netherlands v Argentina in the 98 World Cup incredible stuff

Yeah I remember that! :)
    'Beautifully done by BERGKAAAAMP... OOOOOH WHAAAT A GOAL!" :D Awesome :)
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    How is Linekar managing to find time to tweet while presenting MOTD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is Linekar managing to find time to tweet while presenting MOTD?

Don't think motd is live
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think motd is live

Pretty sure it is live.

I would assume that Lineker tweets when the matches are being played out.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Yes the idea of Barry Davies commentating with old style graphics was very good. It was as good as the pandering to Russell Brand's ego was bad on the Friday night programme.

Just watching the MOTD@50 programme now as I was out last night. I am enjoying it all apart from the contributions from the knob Brand, the unfunniest "comedian" in the business.

Good to see Des again.
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiremote wrote: »
    According to this,the first episode will be shown on Sunday at 10:20am on the BBC Red Button (Satellite and Cable).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gzgfs

and we can add freeview as well to that so now I will be watching
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member

Really enjoyed that part of the programme. It brought back happy memories. :)
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiremote wrote: »
    According to this,the first episode will be shown on Sunday at 10:20am on the BBC Red Button (Satellite and Cable).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gzgfs

Recordable on Sky on Channel 980
    Nick G wrote: »
    Agree. There was no need for the theme tune sing-a-longs. I'd have liked to have seen more from the Jimmy Hill and Bob Wilson era. Glad to see the positive comments about Jimmy on Twitter but ended up feeling sad - Jimmy unable to contribute, nothing from Bob, Des not looking well.

I too hated the sing-a-longa theme tune bit, it was dire. Des also looked a bit confused at times. Pity Bob wasn't interviewed.
    Yeah, I thought it was poor as well. Too many talking heads, most of which had nothing to do with the programme (Russell Brand.. why?) and not enough footage or history of the show.

Hated the Brand contributions. AsRedvers36 said above a very unfunny 'comedian'

Plus, who were the 3 women who were in a bar. Didn't recognise any of them
    Don't think motd is live

I'm sure MOTD is live just by the showing of the Sunday papers section.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shot of the OB scanner leaving the garage was about circa 1937, doubt if it ever covered MOTD.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voice may have been a bit weaker, he may have been a bit rusty, but...

At 76, Barry Davies is still head & shoulders above today's football commentators, & better than Motson in my opinion.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MOTD is live. FLS isn't
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the ending of MOTD. Lovely touch to use JAG reading out the scores
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamiec21 wrote: »
    I wonder if the BBC have considered re-running Match of the 70s, 80 and 90s. Bring the series up to date with a new series of Match of the 00s, do maybe a one-off for Match of the 60s to make up for lack of footage, and there's a nice schedule filler for the next 6 months.

Didn't the BBC do a Match of the Decade, with Denis Waterman doing the narration? Have I invented this?

There is a BBC Match of the 60's, 70's, 80's Box set, that I bought a few years ago, available.